Car & Driver - Lightning Lap

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Redboots, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Redboots

Redboots Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A couple of months ago Car & Driver did their annual 'Lightning Lap' article. There was no Hellcat present so I wrote the editor to ask why? The January issue published my letter and gave the following answer:

"I just finished reading the Lightning Lap issue (Oct. 2015) and was surprised that there was no Dodge SRT Hellcat present. This has got to be one of the most hyped cars in recent memory. The preface says the car was a dropout but doesn't explain why. Having just taken delivery of a Challenger Hellcat after a 10 month wait, I'm curious what dropout means. So why no Hellcat?

Editor response:

Dodge chickened out at the last minute and pulled the Challenger Hellcat that we scheduled. The official line sounded something like this, "We want all track media to concentrate on the Viper ACR."

Really? After months of nothing but burnout commercials for the Hellcat now they won't even put one up against the competition? And I though Kuniskis had balls?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if your a car guy you know it was hyped...if your an average guy/gal you have never heard of a Hellcat

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doesn't make sense for Dodge not to promote the quantity halo car - Viper sales are so small compared to the challenger/charger especially when everyone knows that the Viper is going away. Maybe Tim K. thinks that they will be able to dramatically increase 2016 & 2017 Viper sales numbers to offset the horrible last three years before the legacy gets shutdown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Redboots

Redboots Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you're right. I've had it at a couple of car get-together nights and some people just stand there looking at it. I ask if they know what it is, and sometimes the response is, 'not really." When I tell them it's a Hellcat, they say they think they've heard of it.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    maybe he didnt want it on the track because of how the new GT350 would embarrass it for -$18,000 less...the HC is a 1/4 mile racer...not a twisty track car

its 4450 lbs....its not going to be a good lightning lap car

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you dont read car mags. how would you know what it is? what % reads car and driver?...probably 1% of women know what it is and 20% of guys....but 100% think its cool!! when they see it

7. currybob

currybob Bob

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Must be a regional thing for every where I go my car gets tons of attention!

I can't tell you how many times I have looked in my rear view mirror at a red light and see someone taking a photo with they cell phone. Every time I fuel up somebody comes by and compliments the car.

I did remove the Dodge lettering on the rear and put Hellcat lettering. I did that to keep the rift raft from bothering me.

Many may not know what all the differences are in a Hellcat but around here they know the word Hellcat and that it is a bad car!
    20151023_160139_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRThellkitty

SRThellkitty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I like what currybob did with the custom rear badging!

I like all the Hellcats but I'm sorry to say when viewed from the back it looks likes every other Challenger. I guess the same could be said for the other current cars but that's about the only place where this car fails, it's not distinguishable enough to know it's a Hellcat from a SRT or a Scat Pack etc. I know cause I usually am eye balling one to see if it's THE ONE ! lol

I personally think that omiting the Hellcat in the line up just stirs up more mystic about them!

• Like Like x 1
  9. currybob

currybob Bob

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    SRThellkitty
    I agree with you totally. I kept looking at the rear of the car and knew I was going have to do something. Every other angle of the car was fine but the rear and that is what most are going to see of this car! LOL

I can't take credit for coming up with this idea though. Saw a photo on here with it already done but really liked it. Got the link for the lettering from them also.

10. Beeman

Beeman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Love the idea of "Hellcat" insignia between the taillights instead of Dodge.
    The Hellcat can be identified from the rear by it's black exhaust tips vs chrome
    and spoiler differences in the SRT

11. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well the back of the car is not missing much.

12. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat would do very poorly against the other sports cars... That's why. I can tell you first hand that it has a hard time putting power to the ground in turns at VIR. I doubt it would run less than a 3 minute lap.

I'm more disappointed that the ACR didn't make it in time. Just to see it destroy the other cars and for C&D to not give the ACR and kudos.

13. Redboots

Redboots Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can't expect the HC to do everything well, it's just not that kind of car. Still, I would have liked to see how it compared. Pretty lame of FCA to pull it after all the hype. It's not like they would lose any sales over the results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't expect the HC to be a world beater, but it's going to need some better tires if you put it on a roadcourse. With some pilot sport cups it would be night and day difference.

15. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Honestly we should be happy it wasn't included in Lightning Lap. I love my car but these cars aren't good road course cars. Too little tire and too much weight to maintain corner speeds. Anyone see the Motor Trend video where Randy Pobst takes a Hellcat around Streets of Willow? It was slower than a Subaru STi and a BMW M235i (not a full-blown M2, mind you, just a sporty 2 series). The GT350 or a new Camaro SS with the mag shocks would embarrass our cars on any road course that has twisty, technical sections. The Viper is absolutely the right Mopar for that competition.