Car fax mileage inaccurate help

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by Charger MZ, May 18, 2017.

1. Charger MZ

Charger MZ Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Found a charger Hellcat that I really like but the problem is the car fax is showing a higher mileage than the actual car mileage. Looks like it was an error from an oil change. They put in the incorrect mileage. Other than that it's a clean car. Can the car fax be corrected or should I just move on to another car?

2. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CAN BE FIXED, had similar problem from the emissions on my vet like 12 years ago,, was a process but can be done.. if you're getting a deal who cares.

3. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yet another Carfax issue. Take anything on there with a grain of salt, and I'd def not choose a different car because of an oil jockey mistake. Carfax is by no means the bible of a car's history and more often than not is inacccurate. Ive had more issues with them either reporting incorrect info, or the opposite - things that arent on there that should be.
    The problem is that its not regulated. The reports are done at service facility's leisure. If i fix a dent and decide not to bother entering it into the system, you never know about it. By the same token an oil change kid types in the wrong miles and voila - you're too scared to buy it.
    Eh.

4. Seven11

Seven11 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    u can submit the real mileage to carfax and they will fix it.

5. Charger MZ

Charger MZ Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Ok thanks everyone for their input. Was just afraid that if I ever sell it later on or something else I don't want the next buyer to be leery and thinking that the car was hacked and mileage was changed. Especially when I sign the mileage form at time of purchase and it comes up in the system that the miles don't match since car fax shows a higher mileage.

6. harleybob

harleybob Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Absolutely correct CARFAX is not one-hundred-percent foolproof. If a police report is not written or a car has been damaged without the insurance companies knowledge does not show up on Carfax.