Car Show Kit

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by ChallengerDad, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's probably not on everyone's mind right at the moment, but I'm sure many of us will be "showing" our Hellcats at some point - maybe during the 2015 season. So what should you take with you to a show to make it "presentable" for the judges?

The first item on the list should be a California Car Duster. They cost about $12.99 at your local WallyMart and are indispensable at shows. Dust is the enemy, and wiping down the car will create those lovely little micro-swirls in your finish. The Car Duster doesn't grind the dust into the paint, but attracts it using static electricity. You simply lightly glide the fronds of the duster over the car and the dust will lift off without damage to the clear-coat. The dirtier they get (the more they're used), the better they work. Follow the directions for getting it ready for use when you buy yours.

***The next items should be a few super-soft, high-quality microfiber towels. Don't skimp here - you get what you pay for. I wet one down and put it in a zip-lock baggie for removing bugs and sap/oil/grease you might pick up on the way to the show. Squeeze out the excess water when your car is parked at the show, and wipe off the damp areas you cleaned with a clean, dry microfiber towel.

***A few soft terry towels (12" x 12" size) are useful for cleaning brake dust from the wheels and wiping down the wheel wells. Same as with the microfiber towels, one wet/damp, and several dry will be needed at each show.
    ***Always wash the microfiber towels separate from all other items using Woolite. You want to keep them clean, soft, and lint-free.

Glass cleaner is always a necessary item. No matter how clean your car is when you leave for the show, you WILL get some kind of smoodge on your windows on your drive to the show.
    Don't use paper towels to clean your windows. They contribute to streaking and deposit lint on the glass. The best thing to use to clean the glass on your car is......... automatic drip coffee filters. No lint, cheap, and they do a great job! The second choice is ...........newspaper. Same benefits as coffee filters.

You can use a detail spray/wax on the finish when the garbage collected on the paint is removed with the duster and microfiber towels. I don't like doing this since I usually do at least one show a weekend, and frequent spraying adds to wax build-up.

IF you want to put dressing on your tires, make sure you wipe them down (with the towel you used for the wheels/wheel wells) before applying. I prefer to use a "gel" type dressing (with minimal "sling"), and apply it with a foam or terry-cloth-covered paste-wax applicator. This allows you to apply just the right amount to the entire sidewall, and get into the little "ribs" that run the perimeter of many new types of tires. Wipe off the excess with a clean microfiber towel (again, no lint).

Finally, you need to vacuum your car to get small pebbles/stones, grass clippings, sand out of the mats or carpet. What's he talking about - vacuuming the car at a show? Ha ha ha.....
    Bring a roll of Duct Tape for this. Tear off an 8" piece and turn it inside out in a "tape donut" - sticky side out, and pat the carpet / mats with the "vacuum". As it gets covered with hair, grass, sand, stones, etc., tear off another piece and continue until all of the crap you tracked into the car is removed. This will not only remove the crap in the car, but it will "lift" the carpet fibers and make the carpet look vacuumed.

Put all of these items into a light-weight plastic tool box that you can pick up at Harbor Freight or Sears for under $20.00. The plastic boxes tend to have "cleats" on the bottom, and won't slide around your trunk when you do the requisite "burn out" leaving the show with your trophy! :D

Be sure to bring along a folding camp chair or two for relaxing after you've cleaned up your car and chatted with other participants, as well as drinks and sunscreen (I've left many shows looking like a lobster - there's no shade in a parking lot!).
    Enjoy the show!

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am car showed out from my 70 Cuda and my 68 Dodge Charger R/T so No cars shows for this amigo.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know how you can get "showed out" pretty quickly!
    Toughest show I've ever done was the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle two years ago. It's a three-day event, and every day, the temps were well over 100*F. It was hot, dry, dusty, and I think I bought more "Italian Ice" in those three days than I ever ate in my entire life before that. The high point of that show was taking second place in my class, and meeting Ralph Gilles. He spent a good part of the second afternoon signing participants' Challengers. 2247 cars in the show field that weekend. That was too much like "work".

4. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks CD, very informative. Love it

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally hear ya, back when I was a young-in I went to many import car shows and did import show stuff with models and photographers. Got tired of it.

• Like Like x 1