Carbon Fiber or Aluminum Driveshaft

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by civ101, Sep 30, 2015.

1. civ101

civ101 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know this has been played out multiple times, but I have not really seen enough information to pursuade someone either way. I have to switch out my clutch and I figured while it is torn apart I might as well take care of another known weak link. One concern is if I swap out the driveshaft what will be the next thing to fail, due to a stronger driveshaft? Is the risk of a carbon fiber shaft worth the weight loss compared to the aluminum shaft?

2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would go with aluminum. CF is stronger when installed but they are fragile. For example, if the CF driveshaft on the Shelby is dropped prior to install, they have to throw it away. Can't go wrong with aluminum and they are less expensive.

3. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The weight reduction across any of them, stock, AL, CF is pretty pointless in terms of benefits. Not going to see anything there. They say the CF is better to reduce NVH and it will be a little more forgiving, as it will twist and absorb a little bit. Like mentioned above, the CF is more fragile in terms on if you drop it, something hits it etc, it gets delamed its going to fail. I liked the CF on my last car, but living in the crappy part of CA I may get the AL just so I don't have to worry about anything hitting it

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. FA5T CAT

FA5T CAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a brand new in box carbon fiber driveshaft for M6 from the driveshaft shop