Cat starting to come alive a little bit

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GrndFnk, May 23, 2016.

1. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Went back to the track with a 3.09 and 17" Street R's and this time no headwind. DA 1520 near as I could figure using the drag times data.
    Still not going to set any records but it was a good day even tho the traction went away after the first run.
    This was the first run off the street, I just let the air down in the rear tires and ran it.
    It was fun :)

5 22 2016.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice run! Your 60 foot is awesome! Just curious are you on the stock driveshaft?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks , I just nailed it from just above idle. I have the aluminum DSS but I suspect the stock '16 shaft is more durable than the '15, Have not seen any reports of twisting them other than TC told me a while ago that one of his friends did. I know the part number for the '16 has been changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tightlines

Tightlines Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't realize there was a new updated DS for the 2016.

Nice run and that 60', nice.

5. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks.. The part number is updated but that is not unusual even if the part may be the same..Maybe a different vendor made it,or it is a different color...etc. Hard to speculate the reason for the change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What pressure were you running? I think MT recommends a lower limit of 12PSI. At irwindale I go down to 13 PSI and I can hook at the end of the night when conditions are the worst. 13 PSI and a good burnout will get it done. But, watch your high speed handling. Irwindale is only 1/8th mile so it is not as big an issue. I also do not think 13 is a must. For instance if you were at 16 and spinning, I would try 15 and then 14 and so on always with a good burnout.

I did not know you had the 3.09's. That is awesome. How do you like them?

• Like Like x 1
  7. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The 3.09 seems great but I have not had it long enough to accumulate data....I had 19 psi and that was fine.....until...
    The water box was a small pond is what the problem was and they had to mop the starting line seems like every time I was going up there...cars were dragging water up. I was frustrated.

8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hell yeah. Thanks for posting. I remember the first time. You will never forget it. Be safe

• Like Like x 1
  9. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh Gosh, that is probably over the recommended pressure for the tire. On the 305/45R18 they say to use 12 to 16 PSI. So I expect the upper pressure to probably be 17-18 psi. You could EASILY use 16. Yes it would be normal to shift to 6th right before the finish line with your tires. With the 305/45R18's I make it all the way in 5th and have done 128.5mph.

I always watch the track surface and many times I line up outside the groove. Sometimes way to the right or even the left.

Also I want to remind you that I personally fill my gas tank every time just before I get to the track and I have 75 pounds of Junk in my Trunk. I know I would be faster at a good track without all that weight, but Irwindale is challenging to say the least. I have some pretty awesome personal bests with that weight in there. Just last week I did a 1.549 sixty foot with a 6.916 in the 1/8th at 101mph (@13psi in the tires). So I know what works for me.

To be honest if I was running at Englishtown or any other really good track I would probably run 15 or 16 psi and take the weight out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info...Where do they list that pressure data for the 17 x 305's ?

11. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I called Mickey Thompson and told them what car I had etc. For the ET Street S/S in a 305/35R20 they said to use 12 to 20 PSI and on my 305/45R18 they said 12 to 16 PSI. Keep in mind that may vary depending on who you talk to. Your car will always be fastest on the highest pressure it can dead hook on. But if you go too high you will wear out the center of the tire tread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow you are the second person, who mentioned that the 16 shaft has been changed. My tech who works on my HC was alluding to the same thing.

I also heard the part number for the 8spd transmission in MY16 is different from MY15. The converter in the 16 is supposed to be more robust. Again I just heard this cannot confirm it. If someone has more info please feel free to share the same.

13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car has exactly 100 passes on the stock driveshaft. ALL were with Drag radials and stabbing the throttle on the launch.

I don't think I will be replacing it unless I mod my engine someday. I race at Irwindale almost every Thursday.

. LAUNCH CROP.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The interesting thing about the'16 driveshaft is the dealer parts book says the 16's can be used in the 15's, but the 15's cannot be used in the '16's.

15. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice run!

• Like Like x 1