SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Catch can upgrade?

8K views 66 replies 24 participants last post by  usmc341 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there a real legitimate reason anyone would need to install an aftermarket catch can and breather on their engine? This motor seems to be designed pretty well. Plus, I am all for the stock, factory look! The small amount of oil vapor is not going to cause any immediate issues. Maybe after high miles with lots of punishment!

#9 ·
yeah I checked and verified...it's potato

#7 ·
Sidenote question, since i am not home to check. Someone that has the catch can and the braided hoses, can someone give the measurement of the ID of the rubber hose? i want to say 3/8, but not positive

#11 ·
Cracks me up about catch cans. You guys are funny. Glad I signed up to the forum. I have one on my '09 SRT because it came with one.
A couple of years ago I put valve seals on a set of heads and they really fit snug over the valve stem. My buddy said why don't you use these other ones because they are a little looser and you might use a half a quart of oil in 3000 miles and get a little more lube to the valve guides. He is a mechanic by
trade, I am a mechanic only when I have to be . I said ok, I will use the looser ones.
But, I thought about it since then a number of times and I wonder if that little bit of oil that is allowed to pass into the intake in a
stock setup might not be a good thing for the stems and guides if the stock seals are as tight as the ones I had on the '09 ? I don't know.
So, on my cat I opted out on a catch can.... And keep the rotor from rusting LOL

#17 ·
Cracks me up about catch cans. You guys are funny. Glad I signed up to the forum. I have one on my '09 SRT because it came with one.
A couple of years ago I put valve seals on a set of heads and they really fit snug over the valve stem. My buddy said why don't you use these other ones because they are a little looser and you might use a half a quart of oil in 3000 miles and get a little more lube to the valve guides. He is a mechanic by
trade, I am a mechanic only when I have to be . I said ok, I will use the looser ones.
But, I thought about it since then a number of times and I wonder if that little bit of oil that is allowed to pass into the intake in a
stock setup might not be a good thing for the stems and guides if the stock seals are as tight as the ones I had on the '09 ? I don't know.
So, on my cat I opted out on a catch can.... And keep the rotor from rusting LOL
I agree..we all know things work much better if you lubricate your rotors :)

#18 ·
All of you are right.........I should have done a little more viewing of the threads on this subject. However, after 35 years as a Master Tech in the industry I don't see at this point a definite problem with oil blow-by causing any major issues or damage! Some of this is considered normal on any high output engine. It will be re-consumed with very little adverse effect. If you are doing nothing but full time racing at WOT, then this may be a necessary addition! Until I have a definite oil consumption issue or fouling then I am not going to waste my money........

#19 ·
I prefer to empty oil out of my catch than trying to ignite it in the combustion chamber, of course I could always hope the knock sensors pick it up and the ECM pulls timing.

#22 ·
No ST, LT knock and derating only visible on a data log.

#24 ·
I was asking about any loss in horsepower on a dyno graph, but a data log showing a recordable difference between having a catch can and not having a catch can would be interesting, and would help me make a choice between getting one or not.
Or even an old school spark plug comparison would be cool. I should probably read more threads on these catch cans to study up, but from what I've seen so far the benefits of the modification is in theory.
Do you have access to a data log showing a back to back testing difference of this type?

#27 ·
I see the results of oil collection from these catch cans, you get some and drain it, but what percentage of each four stroke cycle is actually oil vapor? I'm no scientist but I bet it can't be measured with the technology available at an average dyno shop.

#28 ·
Preventing knock is even more important if you tune the car or add boost with pump gas, the results of detonation can be catastrophic especially seeing how these things are already tuned on the lean side.

#30 · (Edited)
Do you have a wideband sensor ? If so, what does it read at Wide Open Throttle, with a load on the engine ?

#32 ·
It would have been a good thing to do, however they were more concerned with cutting costs than making a better product.

#34 ·
I wouldnt think that a catch can ordered in a dodge-like quantity would cost any more than an oil filter. I would guess that the engineers deemed the benefits negligable vs risks. IE vacuum leaks etc. Lets face it, we are not talking about a wildly expensive piece of technology. Its essentially 1/2 a coke can that is beefed up with a very simple filter.

#33 ·
The "cutting cost" argument is just plain ridiculous. Yeah, Dodge would put a $30k engine at risk on their Halo vehicle to save $5 bucks on a catch can.

These catch cans have been available and used on factory supercharged cars for many years now. You would think the vendors would have all kinds of historic and empirical data available to show the massive benefits....Lol..I guess not.

When you order a catch can on Amazon, they "recommend that other buyers also purchased a Willow Curve" :)

#44 ·
The fact tat they have been available and used on other factory

There is lots of data out there supporting the benefits of a catch can. The fact that they have been used for so many years on supercharged engines is a testament to their effectiveness at reducing the amount blow by oil making it's way back into the intake ... Dodge was behind the curve on their NA Gen III Hemi as they also are with their first Production FI Gen III Hemi.

#41 ·
You won't see an external catch can from an OEM dues to emissions regulations, same reason there isn't a catch can available through Mopar. There was an attempt to do that several years ago but never went anywhere due to emissions regulations OEMs have to comply with. Having oil outside the sealed engine is an issue at that level, not an issue for aftermarket companies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.