Center Hood Scoop Issue

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by IMCHRGD, Apr 24, 2016.

1. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi All,

Hoping you can help me. I could not find a wiki link to center hood scoop removal. I have a piece of foam tape that appears to be helping hold the center scoop in but the problem is you can see it from the front and drives me crazy. Debating if I should just leave it to keep the factory install or how easy is it to remove and re install? Things never seem to fit the same way once you remove LOL :) Please let me know your thoughts of how easy the center scoop comes out and if it's worth fussing with???

IMCHRGD in AZ HC 2016.jpg HC 2016.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm pretty sure that there are at least several posts her having to do with the technique needed for removal of the hood scoop bezels (INSERTS) because I did a search for the information when I needed to remove them to have my hood wrapped. In a nut shell, the side heat exchanger bezels (INSERTS) are bolted in from the underside (I believe it is a 10mm bolt - 2 for each bezel (INSERT). To remove the center bezel (INSERT), lift the hood and look into the holes stamped out in the metal stiffening panel just slightly to the rear of and on each side of the opening in the hood where the center bezel (INSERT) is inserted. If you shine a light in one of the holes, you will see the bottom of the center bezel (INSERT) which has a downward tab or "hook" on the right and left lower edge which secures the bezel (INSERT) in place. Find something like a paint mixing stick and insert it through the hole under the hood, advance it forward along the lower edge of the bezel (INSERT) so it comes to rest as closely behind the tab or "hook" as you can get it, apply slight upward pressure to lift the tab slightly from its locking position, then push forward slightly (with the stick) to get the tab out of its locked position. Do the same on each side, then pull the bezel (INSERT) out from the top side of the hood (forward motion) and you should be able to accomplish your task. Re-insertion just goes in reverse order and you'll hear it "click" in position when it is locked properly. I have large hands but long fingers and can remove mine without the stick. You might try that method also, but if it fails, the stick method is pretty fool proof. (You could also try a long flat head screw driver but the risk of paint damage is greater). Good luck! It is much easier than you may think!

FWIW, most people will never see the sticker or tape piece that you're obsessing about. Take comfort in knowing that most people will be seeing your Hellcat from the rear! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are talking about the center scoop insert, correct?

4. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ?????????

5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bezel - insert - grill - screen - plastic pieces in the holes in the hood, hood trim pieces, etc., etc., etc. Yes, whatever terminology you prefer. I think my description was clear enough that even Stevie Wonder, Helen Keller, Flo the Progressive Insurance girl and Joe the Plumber would know what I was describing. I've edited the post though (in RED) just in case there's any doubt. Is there anything else that you'd like to contribute just in case I missed something?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Could you provide a little more clarity? Don't think we understand Sir.
    Matt

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Boggs

Boggs Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Ha wanna take it off just go really fast as mine just blew right out of the hood while I was on the freeway :mad:

8. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2 little clips on the top inside of the center scoop, reach underneath with a small blade screwdriver, carefully. It should just pop out.

9. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

10. IMCHRGD

IMCHRGD Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the details explanation. I think I will leave well enough alone even though the foam tape is still driving me crazy LOL :):mad: