SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Challenger HC clutch warranty

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Radride 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new and came across this forum looking for some answers. Very informative so far but haven't found specifics for my issue. I have a 16 Challenger HC.
I had to have the clutch replaced couple days ago, I keep reading how it is 1 replaced under warranty under the 12/12. Anyone actually had this work out? I had mine replaced at my dealership, and was charged full. About 5 months old with 5k miles. I know, I like to dive my cars. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Possibly own experience or where I can find specifics from warranty. Thanks

#2 ·
Check your paperwork and see what they documented. Then it Sounds like you need to call SRT. It should be a warranty issue.

#9 ·
Total BS if dodge does not step up to the plate. 5 ,000 miles/ 5 months is ridiculous! Please keep us posted. I have been a huge advocate for dodge my entire life, hence my viper plate. When I hear instances like this and all the price gouging these dealers are still doing it makes me want to get rid of my "mopar1" licence plate. Sad but true. Very discouraging seeing some of these build quality issues especially on Dodge's flagship car.

#10 ·
Sometimes it's not corporate and it's dealers. They don't word things right and i can't say if it's on purpose or not but if corporate hears something wrong then they don't act how you would expect them too. Sometimes they don't even open a STAR case and just expect you to eat it out of pocket.

Example:

Dealer opens up star case: Customers clutch is bad 5,000 miles
Corporate responds: denied

Compared to

Dealer opens up star case: Customers clutch is bad at 5,000 miles. No foul-play or mis-use after inspection
Corporate responds: Approved OR asks for additional info or Digital imaging.

#14 ·
If your clutch was really bad then you should pursue it with FCA/SRT and seek reimbursement.

If you are beating the living snot out of your car and you don't know how to drive a manual properly (I'm not saying this to insult you, just be honest with yourself here one way or the other -- I have no clue on your driving abilities) then suck it up and pay money and learn how to drive properly.

Massive torque and inadequate manual trans driving skills are a recipe for smoked clutches.

I've read several threads about people with legitimately bad clutches and for the most part FCA seems to step up and warranty them.

#16 ·
FCA warranty is 12 months or 12,000 miles. NY has a longer warranty because of state law.
18 months or 18,000 miles on wear items. Unless there is obvious abuse or neglect you got screwed.
If you are not abusing or neglecting your car, call SRT and open a case. Without seeing your car I couldn't give you a Answer either way. What may hurt you is tech notes and dealer notes that may try to prove or justify why they charged you. Good luck. Let us know how you make out

#23 ·
OP, you are looking around $1800-2500 depending on where you live. What i would personally do

1) Get the STAR case or denial of warranty coverage for it
2) Pay for new clutch
3) Sue Chrysler in small claims and just show the judge your clutch failed within warranty and they denied replacement. Chrysler can claim you mis-used or abused the clutch but it's up-to them to prove you did and that's why they denied it.

#27 ·
Honestly, I don't know. And it will be difficult to get a dealer to give you a straight answer when you ask this kind of "what if" scenario

#28 ·
Well it's pretty sad that it's being covered for some and others not I guess it depends on your dealer I can see if it's being taken to the track regularly that it would not be covered but how does one prove that anyway hopefully I have no issues I did however notice a hint of clutch burning smell picking it up at the dealer it had 14 km on odometer so its my hope that this is normal just the clutch seating for the first time? Initially I thought it might be exhaust burn off but i know what clutch smells like.

#29 ·
Well it's pretty sad that it's being covered for some and others not I guess it depends on your dealer I can see if it's being taken to the track regularly that it would not be covered but how does one prove that anyway hopefully I have no issues I did however notice a hint of clutch burning smell picking it up at the dealer it had 14 km on odometer so its my hope that this is normal just the clutch seating for the first time? Initially I thought it might be exhaust burn off but i know what clutch smells like.
I'm certain it depends on what the PCM readout is (shift speeds in rpms at what mileage, number of full throttle acceleration runs, did the car show up at the dealer with DRs or Slicks mounted, skip-shift eliminator still plugged in, any number of circumstances could affect the outcome of whether or not it is covered. every situation is different. Moderately driven, probably warranty, hard driven within an inch of its life, not so certain. My $.02 worth. From prior experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.