Challenger Hellcat demand perspective, predictions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by intercooler, Jul 4, 2015.

1. intercooler

intercooler Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    N/A

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Too much thinking and I admit I gotta thinking problem;)

3. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Currently I think demand is being skewed by dealers purchasing "sold orders" without actually having buyers. There are legitimate sold orders not being filled while unsold orders ship to dealers. This isn't showing the true demand. Only dealer demand for cars to sit on.

I hope they have updated the ordering so only orders can be placed if there is a current allocation available to the dealer. None of this 4000 orders in one day and then never fill them nonsense. No dealers entering 100 orders on day 1, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Q5Dart

Q5Dart Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer was recently given a vin for a challenger ordered under a family members name and is intended for dealer stock,so nothing has changed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. CYCLER

CYCLER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a few unsold Hellcats on lots here around Toronto -sitting not yet sold cuz they want $10000-$15000 over MSRP - you can check build sheet and they are "sold" orders

If they sell, these dealers are certain to place as many fictitious "sold" orders for 2016 as they can so no legit buyer stands a chance.
    If they sit unsold above MSRP perhaps the average guy will stand a chance

6. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think they are going to find the demand declining. There do seem to be a lot of buyers backing out when it comes time to pay up so legitimate sold orders sit on lots. 6 months ago I might have talked myself into paying above MSRP but now I'm questioning if MSRP is too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would say it's already starting. Dealers are now hitting the phones looking for buyers for cars in route or sitting. And cars with large markups. This means they have nobody "in line" or interested in waiting on a short list. And now that these cars are in the pipeline nearing the end of the model year, they will have to work even harder. Ordering a car the way you want it and possibly taking delivery this late is one thing. Having to settle or switch to what they have is another.

In the beginning dealers had lists or customers waiting with POCs. People were paying markups to "get the car now". Now it seems the dealers pulling a fast one with sold orders no longer have waiting customers or customers willing to pay the markup.

If you have to call around and beg for a buyer..:your price is to high or your local customers are not interested in purchasing. That's when the balance tips for markups vs demand.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i predicted things to be normal and under msrp by start of Summer.....car is hotter than i thought it was....

I think you cant predict when it will finally cool down........as Soon as another car company comes out with a competitor is when i KNOW it will happen.....If Ford announced a 750hp gt500 for $60k for 2016, order banks open end of Summer? and ill bet you see HC sales plummet.........if Ford or Chevy dont come up with a competitor then Dodge is the only 700hp game in town.....its also a great bang for the buck.....other offerings are going to need to be in line price wise too....

i think its funny to see people who ordered a 2015 and didnt get a car, then get ready to order a 2016 and stand in line again...just hoping.........for those people....skip the order....when the 2016's come out just go get one.....spend some time over the winter when sales are slow...find one in the upper 1/2 of the country thats under snow.......it really wasnt all that hard for me to find mine in Jan......it got hard when Spring came and impossible when they stopped the A8

9. MizzouRT

MizzouRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Collectors place a higher value on the first year of a car, creating a one-time increase in demand for 2015 Hellcats. The GT500 sold over 10,000 copies the first year it was out, then settled down and sold around 5,000 cars a year after that. No way to know for sure in advance, but if I had to pick 2016 or 2017 as the year MSRP deals become common, I would say sometime later in 2016. Of course, late 2016 includes the early run of model year 2017.

10. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The car is incredible and brought in Ford and Chevy guys however 2015 success was due to the huge pent up demand from the MOPAR community which hit like a tidal wave as soon as the order gate opened and that won't be there in 2016 or following years.

Dodge may have taken in 9,000 orders over the six month window but I bet those orders were heavily loaded to the front end and it wasn't evenly spread.

In my opinion the car has great appeal to the man-more niche i.e. guys six feet or greater or have some size who also have the funds and want a bad azz car but are uncomfortable in a corvette, camaro, or mustang.

I'm going to take the under and say that Dodge sells fewer Hellcats in 2016 than 2015. MSRP will be the norm in 2016 after ramping up production to clear the back log combined with a price increase.

Google trends shows that interest has peaked and declined considerably since late winter.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kpbrown84

kpbrown84 Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I actually think demand will go up if they start getting them in the hands of people that want them. I believe the prices will normalize but the 4 adult capability, trunk space, outstanding looks (more Challenger than Charger IMO) and 700 hp for under 70 grand will continue to drive demand. Anyone know if FCA is making money on the Hellcat and if so how much per car?

12. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't discount the number of people who walked on this process. Most people who know I've been waiting since September say they wouldn't have waited. It's hard to imagine they will sell more in 16 than in 15 IMO.

13. redraptor

redraptor Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't understand how the dealers are manipulating orders or why. I'm curious in how many people tried to order who really can't afford the car to begin with. A lot of guys talk smack about what they're gonna buy and in reality can't. Now, he can blame the dealer because they can't deliver a car he couldn't afford in the first place. Someone will buy it if it isn't marked up to the moon and there are cars sitting.

14. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well... they'd lose their deposits, I would think.
    While I can get my deposit back from my dealer for not delivering / unavailability... I lose it if they actually deliver the car and I back out.

Not a huge loss for me since they only took 1k... but most dealers are taking 5k non-refundable deposits... which is to help prevent what you are referring to.

That said, I can afford one... barely. Creditwise and Payment-wise I could afford a new Z06 Corvette or GTR (way more barely), but I'd never over extend myself that far... and my wife would kill me if I did.;)

There's a huge difference between being able to afford something, and being responsible on deciding what you can really afford.

That's why I refused to pay ADM. Unfortunately looking back on this... 5k extra (early on) would have been a small price to pay for the lack of aggravation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We've had a consistent 300-325 people waiting with VONs on the forums. As the model year changes and order banks open for 2016, I'll guess that people will wait to see what happens. If things continue on the same course, I see that number dropping as people who waited all this time decide to cancel or no longer wait. Some waiting over a year at that point. Canadian orders coming up on that mark very soon. People are only going to ignored so long and passing a year is a wake up call.

With dealers looking for buyers already, I'll also guess that out in the marketplace, people who are not as dedicated have already reached that point and moved on. I'll be interested to see how the VON list waiting number changes.

Is the ramp up a little too late?
    Will they continue to ignore sold orders because of allocation rules while feeding the greedy dealers?

• Like Like x 2