Challenger "Trans Am" racing Cars.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by tyoneal, Jun 21, 2015.

1. tyoneal

tyoneal Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have always liked the Trans Am racing cars of the late 60's and early 70's, and given Dodge has now put out a car with real Racing Power, and a kick ass suspension that you can "Track" with, I have thought about bringing this type of look onto my car:

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Trans Am - Picture 564692 car review Top Speed

These are the current TA2 Challenger Trans Am racing cars. Many of the stickers could go away and I believe it would look awesome on the street. The biggest Challenge I see is that properly sized rubber won't fit under the car. The flares on these cars look good and a version would be acceptable.

There is not much that can be done about the weight of these cars without ruining them, plus the Feds have mandated so much extra crap that has to be on a car now it's no wonder they weigh so much.

All this being said, and accepting the fact that this car will weigh what it does, the only way you can get the cornering ability up is to put larger wheels and tires on the car. You may be able to lower the center of gravity a bit, (Maybe) and tune a little with larger sway bars or shocks, other than this the only thing left to be able to counter the forces that are pushing the car forward and increase the friction of the car to the pavement. Once you have done sticky tires, a greater tire patch is the only option.

I would love to be able to out corner a Mustang or Camaro, but at this point we can't. I wouldn't trade my car for one of the others because it offers so manything that they do not and cannot due to their size, I would just like to be able to increase the lateral g force a bit more, (Maybe 7-9%) so the car would be a bit coser to 1 G in the corners. There are many very nice cars that cannot do it but being at .96g or higher I think would really make them more compatitive with each other. (Full Race Cars are not included in this, just Street Cars.)

BTW: The Challengers did win their series this years which had NEVER happened before.

I am open to you thoughts and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Ty

2. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I love road racing. And my hellcat. But truth is as you stated weight. I know I am not the best driver but these cars are great tourers but hard to deal with in fast sweepers. In a quick turn they are livable. However a long sweeper really shows where at least myself has trouble.

3. tyoneal

tyoneal Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately I don't think many people remember that "Muscle Cars" were mid-size or larger. They came with very livable back seats. The Mustangs and Camaro's are completely different animals than the Challengers, Size wise and weight wise. I think they are in keeping more with the average "Trans Am" Racer than the other two.

My choice is a Challenger because not only is the styling great, it has a real backseat and a real trunk. There is no way I could justify buying another "Two Seater" car. I already own a PT 69 Camaro, and a GS 64 Vette.

A third would just not be usable as the mid-size of the Challenger offers so many benefits the other two don't, plus 707 hp, what's not to love? (Other than the ires need to be much larger.

If this one thing could be updated, the Challenger would have a fighting chance. The Camaro runs 305's all the way around! Even if the weight was the same, the Challenger would be at a disadvantage.

Hey, Dodge/Chrysler turn your ears on!

Ty

4. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tyoneal, we are not that far off of 1.0g. I got just over 0.9g the first exit ramp I took with the car! I have not screwed with it yet, but I now have some 315/35 P-zeros on 10.5" rears. I need to see what she will hold now without blowing out, but I think if you are smooth, the 1g is possible. Buddy on another Forum races his 300SRT real successfully up in Canada against some tough competition. I am going to definitely road race this thing a bit and am excited to see some others want to talk about it.

David

5. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    God, just don't get your foot back into it too early in the corner and be smooth both with the wheel and the throttle.

6. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This was from my track day 6-19-15 image.jpg

• Like Like x 1