SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Charger Hellcat Eats Imports on Homestead Miami Speedway

7K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Megamike55 
#1 · (Edited)
Took the HC to the track for the first time and was very impressed with it's ability to grip on the hard turns at higher speeds with the stock tires.

First the settings:
Transmission - Track
Suspension - Track
Traction - Street
HP - 700
Paddles - on but not used for my best times

Here are my observation from a whole day (4 sessions 13 - 15 laps each)
- Engine obviously was the strongest point. It's ability to reel cars in on the straight away was amazing, and it never let up. It was about 58 degrees so weather was perfect
- Breaks hold up for about 9 - 10 laps (2.21mi course with 14 turns), then start to get soggy. But that was expected from the weight of this thing. I also notices splatter in the engine compartment from the brake fluid boiling
- Transmission was for the most part very accurate coming into and out of the turns. It took me a while to get the feathering right coming out of the turns, so since the Traction control was set to "Street" it helped me avoid any spin outs (saw two cars spin out - M4 and Porsche GT3. GT3 barely hit a wall but rear had extensive damage...very sad)
- Sound is awesome. Definitely one of the loudest cars out there. The indy car that was there took the cake though
- Steering was good and what I expected from the car. There was a very light crackly,clicking sound when turning after each session that I could not figure out. It would eventually go away, but concerned me each time I came in and heard it.
- People loved checking out the Hellcat. Lots of compliments

Here's a video from my second session passing an M4 and a 911. I was on the heals of a Cayman GT4, but checkered flag came out right when I was ready to take him. I average 1.55 in the video

My best time was 1.47.48 when there were no cars slowing me which is pretty damn good for me and that car (I'm barely intermediate)

Here's a video from a car behind me (courtesy of an Audi S4 owner)

Enjoy!!

Attachments

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
Cool Vid Megamike... the Cat has all the prey it wants to eat in a straight line... Not bad for a 4500 beast!

#4 ·
Took the HC to the track for the first time and was very impressed with it's ability to grip on the hard turns at higher speeds with the stock tires.

- Breaks hold up for about 9 - 10 laps (2.21mi course with 14 turns), then start to get soggy. But that was expected from the weight of this thing. I also notices splatter in the engine compartment from the brake fluid boiling

My best time was 1.47.48 when there were no cars slowing me which is pretty damn good for me and that car (I'm barely intermediate)

Enjoy!!

Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. I'm really looking forward to track days with mine.

As for the brakes... It's Dot 3 brake fluid from factory I'd recommend Dot 4 fluid. DOT4 fluid is preferred for road racing because of it's higher boiling point. I'd also suggest flushing it after track day. Brake fluid takes some serious abuse at the track.

#15 ·
I really enjoyed the video. Most people who state these cars are 'straight line only' performers have never driven one around a track so they are just jealously putting them down without any real basis!

#29 ·
I agree
I was looking over the exterior of my car before my run and some kids were saying the challenger will roll over on the corners. After my laps I over heard the same kids say the hellcat was super fast. They sounded mad because they almost cought up to me on the turns I was gone right out of the turn.

#20 ·
Mike, I got side-tracked, by work. My brother goes to Sebring quite a bit. I rode with him once and it did seem a little ruff. He said Sebring would be a better choice for my Cat, due to the longer straights, as opposed to Barber. It sounds like Homestead might be a better choice. Do you know if the straights are as long or maybe longer than Sebring? Did you go with somebody, like, Chin?:D

#23 ·
Yeah it was a Chin Motorsports event. Check the image on my first post and you can see my best lap time and other details. My top speed on my best lap was 124 mph and my average was 73.6. Those are pretty fast numbers for a road course and is due to the four straights and fewer turns. An advanced rider in a Z06 C7 with a lap time of 1.41 (6 seconds faster than me) had a top speed of 126 but averaged 81 mph.

The modified road course gives you even more top speed by taking away 3 hard turns and incorporating the oval. I did the modified during the SRT track experience back in 2007 - awesome experience!

Sebring is a much more technical course from what I understand with lots of turns, but it does have two good straights.

#24 ·
You know I was wondering about Sport transmission, but I never tried it. I just figured Track was better, but now that I think about it the down shifts could have been more supportive during breaking just like when used on the street.

Oh well I'll experiment next time.

#25 ·
Felt like I was driving...huge smile! Great job.

#31 ·
Another nice video. Part of me wants to try it, but, another part not as much. Leaning more toward the 1/4 mile, but, I did have fun at the driving experience, and it wasn't my car. I get to Ft. Laud a fair amount, might try to come and at least watch, at Homestead. My brother works with a guy that goes to Moroso quite a bit, I think. He's got a couple GTOs - 67 or 68 with a lot of motor, and one of the newer ones that might be stock.:D

#32 ·
It's a blast! Sign up at any road course events as a novice and you'll have an instructor with you the whole time. It's very comforting to have them there providing technical guidance through the turns, and pushing you to you limit. As long as you leave traction control on you'll be fine.

I started with my '06 GC SRT8 and have been doing it ever since. Tires and constant little upgrades to get better lap times are the biggest costs - or crashing which I have not done yet (knock on wood)

#35 ·
Looks like a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing the video.

#37 ·
The video from behind was from my friend's 2014 Audi S4. He tried so hard to pass me. His car is mad through the turns, but I just blew him away on the straights - so frustrating for him!

Here's a pic of our beasts in their stalls
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Executive car

I never ran in the advanced sessions with the more modified vettes, porsches and Cup cars, but during the regular sessions NOTHING could catch me on the straights. A Z06, a modified Boss 302 and this crazy modified Cirocco passed me because they were on my ass on the turns, but I had to slow down on the straights to allow them to pass :D

It was such a rush and so much fun I am still high from the experience. I highly recommend everyone try a road course event

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.