Charger Scat pack vs Charger SRT 392

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by MuscleGarageLA, Apr 17, 2015.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I Have been looking closely at the Charger Scat Pack as a DD. However I also have my eye on the Charger Srt 392. An optioned out Scat Pack is almost bordering on the(base) SRT price point. What are the differences I should be aware of besides the adjustable suspension? Why did you choose one over the other?

I hardly see any Charger SRT / Scat Packs at the dealerships or on the road. I have seen Charger hellcats....but not a single 2015 SRT 392. Appreciate your insights/thoughts. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Assuming that the Charger and Challenger options are similar...
    • Adjustable suspension
    • 245 tires on 9" wheels vs 275 tires on 9.5" wheels
    • Six piston Brembo front brakes vs Four piston Brembo front brakes (biggest deal to me)
    There are other smaller differences. I love the Scat Pack but if you load them up I think the SRT392 becomes the better deal. Just my .02. Both super cars..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly what I was thinking! Both have the same motor, however the loaded scat pack brings you closer to the SRT price point. I think the base price diff is about $7-8k. I am having a tough time deciding between these two. One thing Is for sure, I love the 392 hemi. Is the tech package really worth it? Cause if I buy the SRT it would have to be the base model.

4. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Before I decided to buy the Hellcat I was seriously considering the Scat Pack or SRT392 Challenger.

I went and looked at both (because you can find them on dealer lots). I was thinking more Scat Pack (I love the entire concept) but after picking my options (loaded) and looking at the price differences it was clear to me that SRT392 was smarter choice for me.

The brakes where the big one. The other two major changes were also important but not as much.

The tech package is $995. I'm assuming Scat Pack would have it and SRT392 would not. I like Tech group too but what is more important. The 3 major items you can't get on Scat Pack or the list of items in the Tech group. Only you can answer that one.

TECHNOLOGY GROUP
    • Adaptive Speed Control (N/A w/Manual Trans)
    • Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
      Headlamps use a sophisticated microprocessor that automatically and quickly adjusts high-beam brightness and intensity, depending on surrounding nighttime light sources or traffic.
    • Forward Collision Warning (N/A w/Manual Trans)
    • Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers
      Rain sensitive windshield wipers automatically deploy when sensors on the windshield detect moisture.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will have a Hellcat. Maybe get the loaded Scat Pack and be done with it! Just thinking out loud here... Get the toys in the tech package. Forget the SRT392 stuff you can't have and you still have some coin in your pocket.

6. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks a lot for your valuable insights. I think you have a point regarding the bells and whistles on the scat pack and both essentially having the same motor. However I have been spoilt with the SRT features and the ability to customize preferences, on the hellcat...lol. I just spoke to my dealer who has a brand new red SRT on his lot and it is a base model without the tech package but it has the useless HK audio upgrade. $50k. He has invited me to test drive the SRT and a loaded challenger scat pack with all options. $46k. I feel the charger scat pack would be pretty similar.

7. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I see your dilemma I really do. I'd try hard to cough up the extra 1K and get the SRT392 with Tech package.

If that is not possible then it's a really hard decision. I like Tech package a lot BUT I'd probably go SRT392 without (I think LOL). On the other hand you do have the Hellcat so going Scat Pack isn't so bad. Now you have me all confused. I dunno what I would do either LOL. You pulled me into your web!

• Like Like x 1
  8. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, get a Honda Accord and forget all this nonsense! Just kidding of course.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol. It is quite a quandary. However that's where the fun begins. I am just heading over to the dealership to check out that wonderful Red SRT first hand! I will see the scat pack options as well and then take it from there. The only problem is that it is a base model, with just the lousy HK upgrade(or downgrade). The red charger Srt looks stunning, with the single vent or snout on the hood, not to mention the bold/ aggressive front fascia.

I might be able to bring the price down to $48k and then that would be just $2k over a loaded scat pack. Wonder if I would miss the tech pack. We don't have the tech package option available on the hellcats. Right? I would hate to get that option added on later, as it would be expensive and i absolutely despise new cars being ripped apart to accommodate gadgets and toys(which should be factory installed in the first place). Another funny scenario/thought: A loaded SRT might border on charger hellcat price points..this is nuts!!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat has everything in tech EXCEPT adaptive cruise and the forward collision sensor. I believe the issue was the sensor is center mounted down low and blocked necessary airflow. I will say this. The sensor is BUTT ugly.

When I was looking I would have gotten a supplier discount price through my company on the Scat Pack but not on the SRT392. That made my decision even harder. I simplified things by just buying a Hellcat :eek: (of course that makes NO sense but you know why I went Hellcat... I don't need to explain it to a fellow Hellcat owner).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I see if you want a scat pack without any options, go ahead.

The second you start adding options to it, go SRT. I don't get the people that are loading a Scat pack.

I think the wheels, tires, SUSPENSION (biggest in my mind), brakes and all is worth it. You also have the Laguna leather as an option in the SRT only if you are into that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes the price difference becomes more tangible and relevant when you compare only the base models for both the trims. You get a lot of car, irrespective of the model you opt for.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  13. 03MachMe

03MachMe Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Depends on the options you add. Even with adding Leather, tech package and driver confidence package (have to have if you do tech), and summer tires you are still only at 45k with delivery charge. Compared to an SRT with just the tech package and summer tires is 50k. So is the brakes, wheels, and suspension worth 5k to you that's what you have to ask yourself.

Screenshot_2015-04-17-22-54-49.png Screenshot_2015-04-17-22-56-29.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well i just got back from my dealership. I test drove the SRT 392 in Torred Red...Same color as my HC. Lol. I must say, the SRT looks stunning in Red. It appeared to have a slightly different shade of red and not like My HC Torred Red which has distinct hints of orange. It looked like a sharper Red...more like a Ferrari red if that makes any sense..lol. I dunno if anyone else noticed the Torred Red, appears slightly different on the chargers. Well the car was absolutely wonderful to drive and i drove it in the default/street mode. My sales rep was nice enough to give me another spin around the block and this time around, i chose to customize my ride preference and put the trans in track, traction and the suspension/steering in sport. The car literally howled ferociously with the trans set to track. The exhaust sounded full blooded and throaty. Awesome ride and it really flies off the blocks. Sweet naturally aspirated 6.4L motor with equally intoxicating exhaust notes. The cold start idle is bloody loud, almost as loud as the HC if i dare say so myself. This 2015 SRT 392 aint no slouch. The dealer did not have the Charger Scats...however I suspect the Charger Scat Pack would have the same DNA/ fun factor.

I Later test drove the loaded Scat Pack Challenger and noticed that it only had the street/default and the sport mode setting. The sport mode however appeared to be slightly more aggressively tuned compared to the SRT Sports mode. Almost like the track mode in the SRT....maybe a notch or two lower. The sport mode made this car sing! The exhaust was active throughout in this mode...at least thats what i felt, maybe it was psychological..lol. However i did feel slightly restricted, not being able to set or adjust my preferences and settings. The tech package and Driver Conv. package(also present in the HC) was quite awesome. I noticed the scat pack had the beats audio which sounded much better than the HK present in the SRT..(at least to my ears).

In the SRT, I loved having the ability to customize my drive preferences and altering the suspension as and when the situation demanded. I also loved the tech package and the audio system in the scat pack challenger. The scat pack had a wilder ride compared to the SRT which seemed more deliberate, controlled and steady. Both cars are awesome, and have the common denominator: The 392 HEMI. Cant go wrong with either (SRT/SCAT PACK) The test drive has presented quite a conundrum as i left feeling even more confused than when i arrived at the dealership for the test drive.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  15. Srt8u

Srt8u Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The scat pack is a great bang for the buck. If you plan on modding it is the best modding platform imo. Get a base one and it makes an awesome starting point to make a killer personalized build. Once you option it up, I think it makes less sense as you get so close to SRT pricing and don'thave some of the SRT features. You can't go wrong either way though, both great cars!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1