charger vs challenger hellcat? whats a smoother car ?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by shawnn, Jan 1, 2017.

1. shawnn

shawnn Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    which car handles better ?
    is the charger smoother ?
    is the charger less of a sports car easier steering?
    feel the bumps less
    i heard the challenger is louder?

2. moparjim

moparjim SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    they are both similar any difference would be minor and likely do to added length on the Charger.
    Neither one is a sports car or pretends to be.
    That being said I find handling good for a big heavy car.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Silver Billet

Silver Billet Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    There is at least one member here who has one of each. Maybe he'll comment. The Charger is considered by many to be a better balanced car. It is a more expensive car with more standard features that are optional on a Challenger. It is faster and, a big bonus, it is roomier and easier to see out of!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  4. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I own both Hellcats and have had both SRT Non Hellcat. My previous non Hellcat SRT's 2015 Charger and Challenger believe it not the Charger was more fun and noisier. Total mystery and I kid you not. Now my 2016 Hellcat Challenger and Charger the Challenger is much more fun and feels sportier. Makes no sense and now I prefer to drive my Challenger over my Charger. And before it was I preferred driving my Charger SRT 2015 over my Challenger SRT 2O15. I would honestly say the Hellcat Challenger would be my first choice if you do not need the room. If you need a real backseat then get the Charger because she is still fun.

• Like Like x 2
  5. VegasSRT

VegasSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have both a Charger 392 and a Challenger Hellcat....To keep it simple: Overall both are great cars, It comes down to preference of looks and comfort, 4 door or 2 door....I Love the font end of the Charger, but love the back end of the Challenger....I obviously choose my Hellcat for the power.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    2010 Challenger R/T and 2015 Charger HC...

Liked them both for driving and handling. Charger HC was a great upgrade with so many more features.

7. Poorhorse Cat

Poorhorse Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 2015 Charger RT and traded it off for our current 2016 Challenger Hellcat. Honestly, I really miss the Charger but still really enjoy the Challenger. I'm a tall guy and I have to duck a little more to get into the Challenger than I did in the Charger it seems. Better visibility in the Charger is a plus along with a little more trunk space. We have kids and it's just a pain to have to get in/out of the passenger seat all the time when taking them to all their school functions and such. Another thing that I miss is the extra space for stuff! I mean the Charger had bigger door pockets and more place to put stuff in the console. Oh, and the memory seats! I miss not having the seat adjust for my position when me and my wife change out. If I was to do it all over again, I'd probably get the Charger.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Charger Advantages:
    1) Faster car, both off the line and top speed
    2) Smoother ride due to wheelbase
    3) Slightly more balanced
    4) Very practical sedan when needed
    5) Way less common and the more unique Hellcat
    6) Better visibility

Challenger Advantages:
    1) M6 transmission who want it
    2) Somewhat superior seating position for tall drivers
    3) More classic retro design
    4) More skittish handling is actually more muscle-car-like
    5) Weak audio system sounds better in the Challenger cabin
    6) Way more common, so blends in better.

I bought the Charger! You will be lucky to have ANY Hellcat. These are crazy-fun cars.

R.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry Charger guys but the 4 door will always be a rental car to me. Hellcat Engine helps but it is a 4 door. No hate mail please just an opinion that happens to be the same of the collector car market. 2 doors have always stood the test of time. 4 doors just don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Poorhorse Cat

Poorhorse Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rental car!! That's one hell of a rental car! I love both cars, but it just seems the Charger makes better use of its space than the Challenger. However, I'd agree that the Challenger might look more like a muscle car if that's what your after, but to me, the Charger is the best looking 4 door car on the market!
    Just glad they gave us options:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

Note that this is NOT what the OP asked and I gave facts.

Putting that aside, I worked with a guy who handled export for collectors and more Challenger Hellcats were shipped vs. Charger, but he said Charger was top pick (he couldn't usually get them).

There are tons of 4 door collected cars, so I don't know what car shows you go to! Ever hear of a early 60's Lincoln Continental or maybe a Tucker? Let's not say silly things!

The Charger Hellcat is already a legend along side the M5, but I expect the Hellcat will be worth more in 50 years because it broke 4 door walls down. The Charger holds the special title of "quickest and fastest sedan." Even when that's eclipsed, no one will argue it's position upon release.

The Challenger, FAR more common, holds no such title beyond highest powered muscle car, a title it SHARES with the Charger.

When I visited the Lambo and Aston Martin dealer a week ago, they buzzed over the Charger Hellcat as they had never seen one! But they had seen the Challengers.

Now getting back to the original point, yes, the Charger IS the smoother car. It has a longer wheelbase. It handles better, especially during aggressive transitions under heavy throttle. It's slightly quicker and absolutely faster with a top speed of 204 MPH.

There's no point in arguing TASTE. I like both and to me the Charger is a veritable starship with one of the best front ends of any sedan going. I like the rear of the Challenger, but that nose is as common as a Prius these days. Bottom line-If you want the faster car with the better ride, it's a Charger.

BTW: I live in Burbank in LA. The most common cars appear to be Mustangs and Challengers. You can't swing a dead sloth without hitting one. Yesterday I saw several Scat Packs and I ran along side a nice 392 Challenger (black with the front air dam and a loud exhaust, if you're listening!). But a Charger Hellcat, 392 or SP is rare as all heck. In my opinion, this is a case where the 4 door will be the rare and collected version in half a century. I'll probably be dead, so don't contact me if I'm wrong. ✌️

R

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. DomoKun

DomoKun Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The elephant in the room (pun intended) is that the Charger is a larger car than the Challenger. Frankly, it just looks, feels, and parks bigger than the Challenger.... making it a less fun car for me. That is a much bigger factor than 1% marginal weight balance lol. However, if you need 4 doors, the Charger is one of the best choices out there.

13. srtdusty

srtdusty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    As a current owner of both, the charger is the car the wife and I take on date night. I can pull up anywhere (in my mind) and not feel out of place parked next to luxury cars. To me it feels more classy with the monster in hiding. The challenger is the I want to turn my hat backwards and act 25 again, flip the world the bird, smoke the tires at the stop light, rap the throttle sitting next to a mustang kind of car. Visibility in the charger is better. Both cars are a blast to drive.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Oh...and yes, the Challenger is a bit louder in the cabin and certainly you feel bumps a bit more. But I think the seating position on the Challenger is better and makes up for that. If you're tall and you like the Challenger retro look and don't need back seats, then it's a good pick too.

Under hard throttle both cars are VERY loud, but the Charger reverts to docility by a pleasant margin. It's much more of the wolf-in-sheeps clothing or Jeykll & Hyde type of car so far as the driving experience goes.

Robert

• Like Like x 1
  15. R3dk3y

R3dk3y Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    OK, the ability to slap in heated and chilled cup holders in the Charger should sway your opinion right there. ;).

Kids, family, friends, coworkers, or uber patrons need a lift? Charger.

I do like the tail end of the Challenger, but not the long doors. Getting in and out in parking lots sucks, and more so if you have someone that needs to get in the back.

You could always rent either in their glorious 6cyl version for a weekend to see if you can live with the doors, blind spots, or largeness of both. Go shopping, fill up the trunk and get to know it.

If you're tall, do not get a moon roof. That eats 2" of head room.

• Agree Agree x 3