Chrysler reaction to the new Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source Jalopnik

Was Chrysler Expecting A Negative Reaction To The New Jeep Cherokee?
    [​IMG]Expand

After we exclusively revealed shots of the new Jeep Cherokee rolling off the assembly line, Chrysler released the official shots of the vehicle a few hours later and ahead of schedule. The reaction to the car — particularly its nose and headlights — hasn't been as positive as the Mopar folks probably wanted. But the curious thing is that Chrysler seemed to expect this.

Let's start with a post on Chrysler Communications' Facebook page, which was up last night but appears to have been taken down this morning. I grabbed this screenshot around 9 p.m. last evening. The gist of it? "Don't judge a book by its cover," which is kind of an odd sentiment to make in a statement to the public.

[​IMG]Expand

Most of the comments on that post were pretty negative. The word "ugly" got tossed around a whole lot. More curiously, there's no mention of the Cherokee at all on the Jeep Facebook page, which seems strange considering what an important model this is for them.

Chrysler made similar comments on their Twitter account last night that remain up.

THX for all the 1st impressions on 2014 #Jeep Cherokee. Remember: More than any other vehicle, Jeep SUVs are more than exterior looks

— Chrysler (@Chrysler) February 23, 2013

More than anything else, Jeep SUVs are defined by how they do on- & off-road. #Moparchat

— Chrysler (@Chrysler) February 23, 2013

Like I said, the language here is oddly anticipatory of negative reactions to the car. Or maybe they saw how people reacted in the comments to our story, or the Road & Track staff's horrified reaction, or any number of tweets about the car. It's possible they were already in some kind of damage control mode.

[​IMG]Expand

The thing is, I feel the need to come in and stick up for the new Cherokee. Okay, those headlights aren't my favorite, but the rest of the vehicle looks pretty great, especially the way they've used the iconic seven-bar grille.

The car is radical, it's modern, it's different, and it evolves Jeep's styling beyond the same language they've been more or less using for decades. What did you want, another carbon copy of the old XJ Cherokee? That Jeep is excellent and much-loved, but it's time to try something new. And we've seen what happens what Jeep tries to copy that styling — we get stuff like the Liberty or the Patriot, and neither of those were particularly inspiring.

I'm not the only one who appreciates what they've done. Here's SRT boss Ralph Gilles' take on Twitter. To his credit, he's also been retweeting some of the negative remarks about the car as well.

@speedychick85 this what it will really look like! Paradigm shift! twitter.com/RalphGilles/st…

— Ralph Gilles (@RalphGilles) February 23, 2013

Paradigm shift indeed. Good for Chrysler for trying something different. ​

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Then STOP! Make Hellcats there too! They are, no doubt, SEXY!;) We need more places to manufacture.

3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah wish dodge was more ballin to handle extra manufacturing plants

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jerry green

jerry green Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...the new Cherokee just looks like a cross between the old Isuzu Vehi-cross and a Kia. The 6 head lights ( looks like 6) front end is hideous. As far as the off-road prowess we were down at the OBX this past summer ( in the wife's 4dr Wrangler) and we saw not one but 2 Trailhawk Cherokees buried up to the floor pans on the beach. All the new Cherokee is, is an upgraded Dart ( another bad idea) built on a front-wheel drive platform with a goofy power take off unit feeding power back to the back axle.If they would have named it a Liberty or Compass all us tried and true Jeep people would have ignored this new model and never flamed Jeep about this sacrilege to the Cherokee name. It's great to try new things ( like 707HP engines) but to water down and uglify a pre-existing legend in the 4wd world is real the wrong way to go_Once again just my 2 cents worth to fill time before my football teams plays this afternoon..:)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Detailed and good share :)

6. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep. Don't plan on getting anytime soon! Instead of 4 wheeling in the winter I am gonna 2 foot it. My Hellbaby is staying in the garage and I don't have a POS yet for Winter.o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm gonna drive my hellcat in all weather except rain :)

8. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you even get snow and ice? I would be fine, but we have too many dum basses that try to drive in it and they might run into my baby!:confused:

9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have maybe .2" snow once a year or every two years. We live in the marshlands it's usually rainy, humid or super dry hot weather going past 90 - 100 above during summer

10. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sure, brag and rub it in. I was finally able to go out and cause some chaos this morning When the rain finally stopped!:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey I was stating factual info lol
    Lucky I'm just gonna wait till I get the hellcat before I start playing again

12. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am unable to behave that long. Maybe once I know it has shipped.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well right now I'm just focused on getting the hellcat to our garage. Once I hit that supercharger turbine noise it's all over for me wanting anything less from here on out lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lilla

Lilla Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got to drag race one of these at the Daytona SRT experience last weekend. I must say I was surprised. I actually won one race in it. Didn't feel comfortable driving on the auto course. I have never driven an SUV or that type of car. Loved the Chrysler 300 on that course. Autocross, hmmm...I drove the Challenger and first run took out more cones than I should have! LOL...had a great experience!

15. Bob

Bob Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your probably speak of the Grand Cherokee SRT. Totally different car/truck. They don't make an SRT product in the Cherokee

• Agree Agree x 2