Chrysler's Pentastar: A 51-year heritage coming to an end.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source bestride

Chrysler’s Pentastar: A 51-Year Heritage that Ends Today
    Posted by Craig Fitzgerald on Oct 17, 2014 in Authors, Craig Fitzgerald, NEWS | 1 comment

[​IMG]

The Chrysler Pentastar — a logo that has appeared all over the Chrysler Corporation material since 1963 — officially got its pink slip. With the move to FCA — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles — the Pentastar has apparently outlived its usefulness. Here’s a history of the Pentastar’s heritage.

The move to the new corporate logo — a slightly stylized version of the FCA acronym with the crossbar in the A removed — has been ongoing since May when the official new logo appeared at the headquarters. Ever since, it’s been disappearing from everything related to the company. This week, FCA was listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the new logo, and even its corporate news blog — which used to be called “Under the Pentastar” — is now operating under another name.

[​IMG]

Robert Stanley, who was a Vice President and the Chrysler account executive with Lippincott & Marguilies — the design firm charged with coming up with a new symbol for the brand — wrote about the symbol’s creation on Chrysler’s blog in 2007:

“It was 1962 when then-Chrysler president Lynn Townsend wanted a new corporate symbol to represent all of the corporation’s brands. It had to be a symbol with a strong, classic look, instantly recognizable and universal. Wherever you were, in whatever country, that symbol had to say ‘Chrysler.’

[​IMG]
    Robert Stanley (left), holding the new Pentastar back in 1962, with Lippincott & Margulies CEO Chairman Gordon Lippincott (middle) and L&M President Walter Margulies (right).

“We wanted something simple, a classic, dynamic but stable shape for a mark that would lend itself to a highly designed, styled product. What that meant, basically, was a classic geometric form.

“We wanted something that was not stolid. That’s the reason that we broke up the pentagonal form that became the Pentastar. It provides a certain tension and a dynamic quality. One of the execs called me up and asked, ‘What do I call this thing?’ And I said, ‘Call it the Pentastar.’ That’s where the name came from.

“In 1962, the Pentastar logo began appearing on the right front quarter panel of Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth vehicles. That was also the year comedian Bob Hope strutted onto the stage in front of the Pentastar at the beginning of his weekly TV show ‘Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theatre.’

[​IMG]

“Soon the Pentastar was put to work as a hood ornament, particularly in the 1980s. It also appeared at the top of dealership signs, office stationary, annual reports, the headquarters building … just about anywhere and everywhere. Even after the merger with Daimler, it was used on the glass of Chrysler brand products. Look in the lower right corner and there you’ll see it, right on the glass. I’m pleased the Pentastar will continue to symbolize The New Chrysler.”

The Chrysler Pentastar appeared everywhere on Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth vehicles, in owner’s manuals, on door glass, on the very keys used to start the cars, and on its headquarters.

[​IMG]

The new logo is decidedly more…er…Helvetica?

[​IMG]

Vaya con dios, Pentastar. You’ve served the brand and the corporation well for 51 years.

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they are gonna use FCA as a logo, it is UGLY!! They need the guys who come up with the commercials to work on a design. At least they are creative!!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    lol they doing new modern simple style i guess. it's italian and american merged together.

4. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ugh! That only works for food. Spaghetti and french fries (2 things my trainer said I could not have and now crave EVERY DAY!) Ohh! or Tiramisu with peanut butter cups!!! NOW THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT (your fiance would appreciate that)!! That is a merger of italian and american I can get behind. LOL:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    lmfao, hey NO ONE discriminates against good food mixes haha!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's bittersweet to see it go, but in the same token the Chrysler Group is reinventing itself and its time to leave behind that old image. Here's to an even brighter future for Chrysler Group LLC. They have really turned things around and are finally getting some much deserved respect in the auto industry

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep it's time to move onto big and better things, they are moving in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree along with a REALLY good marketing designer to come up with a cool logo...

• Like Like x 1
  9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sad but lets give them a chance to make something we like;)

• Agree Agree x 2