Clarification on Oil Filter/Oil #s ...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Steppenwolf, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, my HC is a 2016, if that makes a difference here ...

Just wanted to clarify the sku numbers for the correct Mopar oil filter and also for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum engine oil. (I was hoping to do a quick Amazon order for a couple of cases of the oil.) I've been reading thru the older threads on the 2015 HCs and got confused on the parts #s mentioned.

The Mopar OE filter # I have for 2016 is: 04884899AC, (not AB, as I've seen some reference). Is that correct?

On the Pennzoil Ultra, I have # 68171066PA, but I don't think that's correct.

Can anyone help the new guy?

Also any links you could supply to a source for purchasing - Amazon or others - would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are correct on the Mopar Oil filter. At some point they changed the AB at the end to AC. My oil filter was marked factory installed on the bottom when I changed it and it has this number. If you buy one it also has
    MO-899 on the box. You can even buy these filters at Walmart. I know the SRT filter fans will chime in but there are plenty of threads and opinions on that. I like factory installed type. As far as the oil just look for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40. It even should say for SRT vehicles on it. Try your local Dodge dealer. I got a decent deal on it there. The nice thing about the dealer is you can get a case of six and a couple of extras to top it off. Online you may need to buy another case?

3. Steppenwolf

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, thanks JC.

On the filter, I saw the images folks posted of the Mopar box w/ MO-899 on it, but I didn't know whether that was the only number I needed to pay attention to, or whether my '16 Cat takes only the filter w/ the number ending in AC as above.

On the Pennzoil Ultra OW40, Amazon had a pretty good deal going on a 6pk case, but the number I had didn't match what Amazon showed. Maybe it's the same, but I wasn't for sure.

4. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure on the oil numbers. I just go by the label. If you buy filter with MO899 on the label the filter itself inside the box will have the long number on it. Always check it befor you use it. I bought a GM Ac Delco filter one time that was mislabeled. It had the correct label on it. It would not physically fit on the filter lug, the threaded hole was too small in the filter. It was driving me nuts for about twenty minutes trying to get it on until I checked it against the old one.

5. baddogg44

baddogg44 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just changed my oil yesterday. I've had the car about a month and it has about 700 miles on it. Figured I would change the oil after the 500 mile break in. It's a 2016 Challenger HC. Here is a pic of the filter stamped "factory Installed" on it that came right off the car. Also on the part number for the oil, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the part numbers will be slightly different for a single bottle of oil as opposed to a case of oil. Hope this helps. IMG_6446.JPG

6. Steppenwolf

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great pic, thanks.

Thanks. Yes, I think you're correct on single bottle versus 6pk case.

7. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I still have that filter. I have not been able to bring myself to throw it away. I am sick I guess.

8. baddogg44

baddogg44 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I feel the same way. Mine is sitting in the oil collected draining. Felt like I should keep it. Don't really know why but...

9. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    68171066PA is the correct part number for 1 quart of Penzoil Ultra 0W40 meeting Chrysler material standard MS-12633.

10. Steppenwolf

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you. :cool:

By the way, the Auto Zone I hit today had exactly two Mopar "MO-899" filters in stock. Removed each one from the box before purchase but only one had the # ending in AC. That's the one I bought. The other was AB.

Explained to the uncaring kid behind the counter, with half-purple hair and rusty nose ring, that the filter ending in AB was last year's old stock, and a dude like me only buys new stock. Kid shrugged, continued looking bored, and I paid and left.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe it is a good thing self driving cars are coming to keep that generation off the road. For the record: he was wearing a rusty Booger ring. Just disgusting.

12. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Baddogg, I don't think there is a cure for our problem. I still have parts laying around for my old cars too.

13. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tightlines

Tightlines Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good information, thanks for sharing!

15. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I avoid Amazon when possible. Our lovely state of Mass requires them to charge us sales tax. I buy mine from a Dodge dealer in NH and avoid the tax all together.