Cleaning the Brass Monkey

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by Hell-of-a-Cat, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Hell-of-a-Cat

Hell-of-a-Cat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's the best way to get the Brass Monkey wheels to really shine? Is there any kind of wax or polish I should be using?

2. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They're not really meant to "shine" per se since the finish is matte, but in order to get the truest color out of them you'll want to have and keep them as clean as possible since brake dust and road grime will mute the gold hue.

You can use just about any commercially available wheel cleaner that is designed to be safe for "all finishes" (avoid strong acid-based cleaners so you aren't running the risk of etching the finish, especially since it can't be polished); some of my favorites are CarPro Iron-X, Sonax "Full Effect," and 1Z ColourTec since all three will actually dissolve embedded contaminants.

From there, it's ultimately your choice as far as protection is concerned. The easiest way to go is CarPro HydrO2, which is a spray on, rinse off sealant you can use during your cleaning routine, which also makes it simple to coat the inner barrels and brake calipers all at once. You could also use CarPro Reload after you're done cleaning, but it will require a bit more work to get into any tight spots. For the longest term solution, you could apply a coating like CQuartz or CarPro DLUX, though again these are a bit more labor intensive up front to apply. Once you have a layer of sealant/coating on the wheels, it should only take car wash soap and water to maintain them regularly until it's time for a top-up of protection.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. jaylopez

jaylopez Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    When I had CQuartz done on the car, he did the wheels and calipers also. It really helps with the brake dust.

4. bigsursteelhead

bigsursteelhead SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought the CQuartz with the goal to put on the BM wheels. Havent done it yet but hope to soon. There's a couple day dry time needed and just have not been able to not drive the cat for that long yet...

• Like Like x 1
  5. C. Charles Hahn

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you pick up CQuartz Classic, or UK?

6. bigsursteelhead

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought the CQuartz with the goal to put on the BM wheels. Havent done it yet but hope to soon. There's a couple day dry time needed and just have not been able to not drive the cat for that long...
    I'm not sure - box doesnt indicate either Classic or UK. Just Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection Hydrophobic 110 water contact angle. Is one or the other better for the wheels?

7. C. Charles Hahn

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok, that sounds like regular CQuartz (in the industry we refer to it as Classic, but not everyone does... sorry for the confusion).

That being the case, if you catch a warm sunny day you can accelerate the curing time by leaving the wheels in the sun for a couple hours after they've been coated. After that, leave the car sitting overnight and you should be good to go for driving the next day. Just don't use anything but water to rinse the wheels off for the first week, and make sure not to let the water dry on the surface as it could spot the coating.

8. bigsursteelhead

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Mr Hahn - appreciate the advice! Lots of sunny days here so that shouldnt be an issue just need to plan the time needed to get the wheels good and clean and dry. Then go for it. thanks!

9. bigsursteelhead

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Forgot to ask - OK to put the CQuartz on inner barrels of wheel and brake calipers? I have 30 ml size - this should be more than enough to do all 4 wheels - should there be more than one application or just one? thanks again!

10. C. Charles Hahn

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes! Definitely OK to put the CQuartz on inner barrels and brake calipers; I do it all the time.

You can add an extra layer or two if you're so inclined (I wouldn't go beyond 3 layers total, past that you won't see much benefit), leaving 45 minutes between coats.

11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Put a some Griot's spray wax on after each wash.

12. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got my car detailed a couple of days ago and also opted for a special wheels package they had. I explained to the detail shop, the nature of the brass monkey wheels and the need to maintain the matte/satin finish. They knew exactly what I was talking about. They applied some Nano Alfa 45 coating and it took about a couple of hours to do the job.

I was told that I could simple rinse it off going forward and need not do anything else. Was quite pleased with the results as they had almost become black and had that corroded look probably due to brake dust accumulation.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2016