Cleaning your Cat....... Two products that are must haves!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by yellaheep, Jun 30, 2016.

1. yellaheep

yellaheep Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you haven't heard of the miracle cleaning pad called "Mr Clean Magic Eraser"...... let me tell you, particularly for white cars, these things are AMAZING. I haven't found a bug, tar splat, mark, mar, scrape, rub, bird dropping, leaf stain or other blemish these things can't remove! Sun baked bugs come right off with little effort. My new Hellcat still had adhesive residue from the plastic covering, door guards, etc on the body. Took that stuff right off easily. I also had marks left on the paint from having accidentally dragged the corner of the foam brush at the car wash - took those right off. It doesn't dig into the paint as it uses no abrasive or chemical. It truly is like using a pencil eraser. Cheap and found at any grocery store.

[​IMG]

We're all aware of the massive amounts of brake dust that our Brembos leave behind on the wheels and calipers. I saw a youtube video put on by Plasti-Dip where they promote their spray on brake dust cleaner called BDP. This stuff works AMAZINGLY. I'll first state that if you haven't used this product on your car from the beginning and have some buildup, you will need to use BDP and scrub the caliper and wheels with it. Once clean, you can simply spray BDP on and let sit for 5 minutes as it turns purple before rinsing and it will clean the wheels and calipers extremely well. Use caution however...... this stuff stinks and if you breath any of the mist in, it's gonna burn similar to pepper spray for a bit. You can buy this on Amazon, Ebay and other places but I've found that Plasti-Dip will do discounts based on order frequency and will e-mail you discount specials for it.

I used BDP on our SRT8 Grand Cherokee and swear by it now.

[​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sprayed on, let sit for 3-4 minutes and pressure washed:

[​IMG]

Now....... the company claims the product will get your wheels "surgically clean". Not exactly, but still VERY impressive, especially how clean it got the calipers. I'm more than happy with it and will be buying a case of the stuff soon.

Normally, a good cleaning of the wheels required a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad and follow up with a microfiber towel. After using the BDP this is all I got off of the 4 wheels:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm hoping that you are not using Magic Eraser on Paint or something (esp rubbing it hard). Just my .02 thought

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    magic eraser is basically sandpaper on paint

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I clicked on this link and thought I'd read "soap and water." I need to grow up.

Heard the cautionary tales about magic eraser so I haven't (and won't) try it. I wash my Cat weekly so a pressure washer and foam cannon work great for me. Sometimes I use the microfiber mitt with the 2 bucket method.

5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info. I'm assuming BDP states that it is safe for clear coat. The stuff looks strong and my only concern is damaging the clear coat with repeated uses.

6. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OMFG!

PLEASE don't use Magic Eraser on your HC paint!

Edit; I guess I should have quoted the OP

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Gonna have to agree, a magic eraser isn't touching my vehicle anywhere except maybe the windshield and even that is sketchy. Never heard of the brake cleaner so can't comment on that but looks to have done a nice job. I had a GC with the black chrome spider monkeys and they were one difficult wheel to keep perfect.

8. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed! Absolutely DO NOT use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser anywhere on the car!! This is a disaster for clear coat. Like Cubeman said, it's not good - I wouldn't go so far as "sandpaper" but it will without any doubt damage automotive paint/clear coat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BDP Brake Dust Remover can be seen in action on YouTube:
    At $20/bottle I think it's 4X to 6X overpriced. One of the posts on YouTube referenced Purple Power at WalMart for ~$3/bottle. The BDP is apparently an excellent product but overpriced.

I've had great success with a new spray from Costco called "No Touch Wheel Care" and "No Touch Wet & Protect" which are wheel and tire care respectively. You get 1 can of wheel cleaner and 5 cans of tire dressing for ~ $10. This works as shown in the YouTube Video at about 1/10th the cost.

Thanks for sharing OP but I think there are better alternatives.

10. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [/QUOTE]
    Two issues with this:

1) You should Never use a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" on automotive paint.

2) You should Never use a "car wash foam brush" on automotive paint.

How a Magic Eraser Can Damage Your Car | Advice from YourMechanic

But, it is your car so do what you want. Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its called Melamine foam. With varying degrees of being abrasive (varing at production meaning your not in control.)

(Which can be purchased at Dollar store 99c 6 blocks generic label.)

Which will result in scratcing and damage your clearcoat or even hard surfaces. I've scratched glass ans stainless with it.

Great for other uses not on many car surfaces, suggest become informed whataever and whenever you decide to use. (Nowhere on my cars except in some cases on some things like undercarriage can assist with surface rust removal on steel with high iron content.)

Now all that is on the generic stuff. It has ties to pads used in professional paint and surface correction, but those are controlled, different composition, used for their intent.

Ther are effective methods for what you call out. See detailing section here or go to a car detail forum lots of great write ups to learn from

Now before becomming overely concerned as to how you've used it on your Hellcat, take your car to a paint correction pro and let them look and advise next steps. Likely they can correct so long as you weren't going nuts. You'll see it in bright sunlight, using a loop, or with very focused light, what it may have done. Hope not cheers!

Melamine foam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is this guy serious!? Magic eraser is a soft sanding sponge. When its wet, its like wet sanding. I have used it on a car for damage before, and it works well for that. But to take bugs off or wash the car, no way! Bad advice here!

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    this is hilarious! i wouldnt use magic eraser on paint. No way

14. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Another question for the brake cleaner listed, it says "for Steel, Alloy and Crome"...

Our wheels are powder coated...

Every brake dust cleaner I've found says to not use on painted surfaces....

?

15. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Negative... paint and clearcoat