Clear Bra suggestions for Charger HC !!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by MuscleGarageLA, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Clear bra For the Hellcat charger

Poll closed Jul 17, 2016.
  1. Entire Car

8.7%
  2. Partial protection(Full bumper, partial hood, rockers, mirrors, partial fenders

78.3%
  3. Full frontal only (bumper and hood only)

4.3%
  4. Clear bra is just a gimmick. Splash guards will do the job

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No clear bra, no splash guards. This is a muscle car.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (Please specify)

8.7%
  1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I just ordered the ZL ADDON Front/Rear Rock guards for the Charger HC, but was wondering if I should also clear bra the hood or bumper or perhaps both. My installer is insisting that I do the entire bumper, headlights, partial hood, mirrors and behind the rear wheels (partial).

He did not recommend doing the entire rocker or fender area since I ordered the splash guards. XPEL ultimate is the application. $700.

What are most critical areas you think we need to protect? What protection/coverage did you opt for? XPEL or Suntek or 3m?

I feel the hood should either be covered fully or just left alone cause a partially done hood would reveal the film line and spoil the aesthetics. This is for a black car. Please discuss.

2. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I just have splash guards front and rear on my charger HC. All good so far. Have gotten one small rock chip on front bumper so far. If you plan to daily drive and put a ton of miles on, a clear bra may be worth the money. If it's your fun toy, I say save the money. Learn how to use touch up paint and don't worry about it. It's gonna get a few small scratches over the years with Normal so what's a few Rock chips. That's my outlook towards my nice cars at least...

• Like Like x 1
  3. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah mine is not a daily driver. I already paid an arm and a leg to do the challenger and am wondering if I got sucked into the hype..lol. I have never clear bra'd any of my previous toys and had no issues whatsoever apart from some minor blemishes, which were totally invisible to the untrained eye. I am still trying to establish the necessity of getting this applied. The pros and cons are still up for debate and there seems to be no clear consensus.

I know this guy who is a crazy car collector/enthusiast who has some of the most jaw dropping cars in his collection, including ferraris and bentleys and he is absolutely opposed to the idea of the clear bra.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. PHPD7102

PHPD7102 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just got mine and I am clearing the whole front bumper, hood, fenders, quarter panels, mirrors, and that ledge going into the trunk. Basically not clearing the roof, back bumper, or trunk lid. One good rock kick up hitting that flat ass front bumper and that will leave a monster chip that will just bug the hell out of me.

I am clearing at least partial doors because lets face it, those are big flat doors. I take care to park away from others but there's always some assclown who wants to park to close. I know the clear wrap wont stop a door ding but it will stop a paint chip with the ding as long as they don't slam it into your car.

I had a 2000 corvette which I kept spotless, I'm driving down the expressway one day and some knuckle dragger in a dump truck 10 car lengths ahead of me and one lane over hits a bump. Well after dumping his last load he never cleaned off the gravel from his trailer hitch mount, so he hits the bump and a handful of gravel hits the highway at 65 mph and its like someone fired a shotgun. I caught 2 of them on my front bumper and one skipped from my hood into my windshield.

I had (2) dime size chips in my bumper and (1) 1/4 inch ding in my hood, fortunately the rock that skipped up into the windshield from the hood only left a white mark on the glass and didn't chip or break it.

Lesson learned, any car I really like gets clear wrapped on the impact surfaces. The ZR1 I traded for the Hellcat was wrapped up as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mopar16hc

Mopar16hc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Cat is my daily driver and my 4th modern Challenger. I have Xpell on everything from the windshield forward, including mirrors, headlights and on the sides, about 7" up from the rocker panels extending all the way back to the rear bumper. The black satin hood is covered in the "stealth" (satin) finish Xpell, so I don't ever have to worry about cleaning it differently than the rest of the car. The stuff is worth every cent!! ;) I have over 6K miles on the Xpell and not a single mark or chip. You have to look close to tell its even on the car.
    On the other areas of the car that don't have Xpell, I have Ceramic Pro paint protection. Including the wheels and calipers... Also, worth every cent!! The car rarely needs to be washed. Everything just sprays right off with a pressure washer or touchless car wash! Would be perfect for a black car! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the front bumper cover, headlights and side mirrors done on mine. I considered doing the hood as well but passed on it. A partial on the hood was offered but the "line" would have bothered me. So far so good and the stuff is working very well on my highway commute.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome responses out here. Please keep them coming.

The data/info we collect here will go a long way to help everyone in our HC community(and even non HC owners for that matter). I have learnt a lot by just reading some of the responses.

Also if possible please try to specify estimated prices for the packages. For example: Hood/bumper; Fender/Rocker.

My installer suggested doing the following for the Charger: rocker area, entire bumper including the headlights, partial hood (up to the center vent), mirrors and door handles. He further added that the fender area was not really required, maybe just partial coverage.

Like i mentioned earlier I have ordered splash guards from Zl addon therefore I am wondering if this is overkill since the charger is not a daily driver.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  8. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you don't mind me asking, what was the product you opted for and what cost should I be looking at in case I go ahead with similar coverage?

The hood is the problem, due to the "line" as you were alluding to. Full hood or nothing is the way to go IMHO.

9. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I went with Xpel Ultimate and the work I mentioned was ~$800 if I remember. The hood would be another $800ish and if time allowed, I would have gotten that done. The installer is the key to all of this so make sure to check their work closely. I'm very happy with the application of mine but have seen some others which leave a lot to be desired.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you. Did you consider doing the rocker area? Does that area need to be protected as far as Chargers are concerned? I know my installer discouraged me for the challenger as he said the body really doesn't flare out and secondly I have the rock guards from mopar.

11. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would still do the rockers. I know getting in and out of the car caused scuffing on them in previous cars I have had. Got mine done along with the bumper, hood to center vent, A pillars, mirrors, brow above windshield, sections behind wheel wells, and lower section of all doors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you see the line on the hood? Did you use Suntek or XPEL?

13. ciphros

ciphros Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Expel, can see the line when car is dirty, but when clean is nearly invisible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ironfelix

Ironfelix Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My cat ('15 charger, billet silver) has 6000 ml and is 10 month old. I drive it daily save for winter. I have not done a 'bra' and not planning to do it. So far 2 extremely minor chips on the plastic of the front bumper. You can see them only if you know where to look. I also do not have splash guards, but will possibly add them this summer.

I think that the cost of the 'bra' can be applied to paint the front every 3-5 years if need be. These days the color can be blended to be indistinguishable with the rest of the car.

Cost will be about the same, but you'll get a brand new factory look.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I did my entire front end, fenders, lights, hood, mirrors, door handle cups and the entire rear valance. Suntek on a pitch black car. Absolutely invisible, installer out of Aliso viejo. Including c-pro on wheels, brake calipers, entire exterior and interior, just about 3 grand. It was one of the first and no patterns existed. I think they used mine to make one.
    I could see a difference between the door with no clear and the cleared fender with the expel. I can't with the suntek. At the shows I have to point out the relief areas for people to believe it's been clear bra'ed. There were a bunch of installers willing to do it cheaper, but none would guarantee my satisfaction like mo did. He was worth every penny!
    Btw, my last car was dark blue and I should have protected her! She looked sandblasted when I sold her. Only 65,000 miles.

• Useful Useful x 1