CO Hellcat Registration

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Meowzer, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Meowzer

Meowzer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    AZ resident here. Currently in CO for a remote project. I was hesitant to change to a CO resident because 1) I don't have to (and AZ licenses don't expire until youre 65) as my permanent address is still in AZ and 2) I honestly just didn't want to pit a tag on the front of my car.

But then I heard that CO tag registration is ridiculously lower than AZ. I'm paying $870 a year. Can someone from CO tell me what it costs there? That may be enough to change my mind.

Thanks!

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No harm meant my AZ brother but, if the cost of tags is an issue, permits you don't need a Hellcat. It's the old MPH/MPG issue. Really, who cares?

3. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's definitely not cheaper to register a Hellcat here. I just bought mine and haven't registered it yet, but I'm anticipating 1100-1200 dollars. We have pretty low taxes in Colorado because of the Tax Payer's Bill of Rights, but the state just charges a lot of fees to make up the revenue. Technically you are required to register a vehicle in Colorado within 90 days of establishing residency. If you're not a resident than I wouldn't worry about it. You would also have to get a VIN inspection done and have the car pass an emissions test.

4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Emission test on a brand new car? What are they smoking in CO? Oh yea, I know.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep lame I know. If you bought the car in Colorado it's exempt from testing for I think the first 7 years. To register an out of state vehicle requires a test. I just bought my Hellcat in Kansas so I'm going to have to take it in before registering it. Annoys the crap out of me. I'm hoping the can test it in valet mode, but we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Meowzer

Meowzer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not a brother, but anyway, some states have flat fees and someone had implied in an earlier conversation that I may be able to save over 1000 bucks over the course of two years by registering in CO (as AZ can be pricey), so I figured I'd go to someone at the source and inquire.

I can afford my Hellcat just fine, thanks, but if I had the chance to throw an extra $1k at a drone that will record me kicking people's asses, I don't see why it isn't worth looking into. No reason to give it to the DMV if I don't have to.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  7. Meowzer

Meowzer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. Good to know. Yeah, I'm not a CO resident, but I'm coming up on my second year with the cat, so it's time to renew and I figured I'd look into it. Definitely not worth the hassle. You're expecting 1100 for one year? Or two? Mine is 870 a year and 1600 for two.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  8. Meowzer

Meowzer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't they have to get it up to a certain RPM?