(Cold enough to freeze the lug nuts off a) Brass Monkey Wheel

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BlueSky, May 19, 2016.

1. BlueSky

BlueSky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Trying to be comedic with the title but I have a question or two about maintaining the Brass Monkey wheels. I washed the wheels for the first time today and, in the plus column, it's good to be able to fit an entire hand and arm inside the wheel spokes allowing for a much better cleaning operation than I have been used to.

The finish on a couple of the wheels appears to have not been applied properly. The "brass" color seems to have gone "silver" in one or two spots. I am wondering if the brass paint or anodizing, whatever, wasn't done properly?

The Brembo brake pad dust output is, indeed, legendary and what I experienced on my previous cars (and IS-F and an RC-f) is alive and well with the Hellcat. Do you recommend waxing or otherwise coating the wheels between washings? If so, what do you recommend applying?

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lots of cleaning! Lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. saagz87

saagz87 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The armor all wheel coating actually works well. Only armor all product I use.

Or you can CQuarts or ceramic coat rims to help reduce dust sticking to them and will make clean up easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A wax or sealent on the rim can assist and make it MUCH easier to remove and clean off brake dust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder how long wax actually lasts with the heat generated?

• Like Like x 1
  6. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's painted/clear coat. Wish it was powder coated it would be more durable. Also wish they'd make some damn touch up.

I just use a small CA duster between washings. I don't get too crazy just spray wheel cleaner let it sit a minute and rinse with one of those high pressure wands you buy at Walgreens. I'm not changing brake pads this time. Been there done that. Love the grip of the stock pads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use stuff called Wheel Wax. Seems to make the dust easier to clean.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlueSky

BlueSky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I changed the pads on a previous Brembo-equipped car and had an excellent experience with very little dust and not much difference in initial bite or fade at all. I used Carbotech 1521s I believe.

Also, as the OP on this, thanks to everyone for providing their suggestions!

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Unless you are 10 years old, or a girl, or both, I cannot see how this is possible. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. LukeFortney

LukeFortney Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are there brake pads you can get that won't put out so much dust and won't bite as good.? I actually find it annoying how sensitive the brake pedal is. I think I'm just used to a different pedal.

11. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are plenty of posts on the brake dust issue. Power Stop z23 and z26 ceramic are what most are recommending. Very little dust. On my wish list.

12. BlueSky

BlueSky Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm old, almost fat, equipped with short stubby T-Rex arms and very large mitts and, yes, I could reach all the way to the inside edge of each wheel with a good-sized sponge. :rolleyes:
    Of course, I had to roll the car to gain access to the part of the front wheel blocked by the calipers.

13. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The brakes are sensitive. Just need to get accustomed to them. I drive three other vehicles so each time I use Cat I have to get used to them again.

14. Gixer Jay

Gixer Jay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same here. I love the armor all wheel coating. I don't spay it all over the like armor all says to, but actually spray it onto a soft "scrubless" type sponge and then apply it to the wheel. It dries on clear and it makes detailing easy since I only clean my BM wheels with soap and water. Also doesn't allow the dust to adhere to the wheel as easy either making wheel cleaning less frequent.

wheel.jpg

15. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    With the matte finish, these are extremely easy to "streak". I wash them with CG Citrus Wash, use my metro vac to blow them dry and then finish with CG Matte spray detailer/sealant. Works perfectly, I would not recommend the Armor All or any normal waxes on it, but that's just me as I think these can be very prone to streaking. I don't go long in between cleanings however, a few times a week I clean them with Adams Rinseless Wash and then follow up with the CG spray detailer. I've got some
    OCD issues with detailing however lol

The finish that came on my wheels leaves a little to be desired as others have mentioned. I have several "black" marks where the finish wasn't applied properly or heavy enough. It was like that the day I brought it home from the dealership. Just a crappy finish will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.