Come on June...

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by JCSRT05, Apr 30, 2015.

1. JCSRT05

JCSRT05 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Finally registered and only thought it was right to do an incredibly overwritten intro.

Mod's - Do you guys give out awards for longest Intro?? :)

First and foremost, I’ve been a 4 cylinder turbo guy for quite some time… Ridiculously easy to mod without breaking the bank yet, justifiable to purchase as a “practical car” thanks to an awesome 30MPG rating. So what the heck am I doing on this forum? I think somewhere deep down, I’ve always had a thing for stupid amounts of power in a heavy American car… I did at one point in my youth (I’m 32… and old..:() have a 92 Z28 and an 89 Iroc. They got me into a lot of trouble, A LOT, but that’s another story and I’m sure we all want to know why the 4 cylinder turbo guy is here…

Well, interestingly enough I work from home (not what it’s made out to be!), but I do travel. When I travel, I’m usually flying United and for a period of time, they showed these “infomercials” where if you were too cheap like me (of if you just watch movies on your tablet), you are forced to view them on the screen. I happened to catch this one (obviously sponsored by Dodge) showcasing the Hellcat Charger. I had never liked the pre '15 Chargers and I absolutely had no idea what a Hellcat was.. Why would I? I was a turbo guy, perfectly happy with my 300+HP WRX, but I figured I’d jot down “hellcat” and proceed with flight. Sure enough, once I actually searched what the hellcat was, I’m pretty sure I said “@#$!”.

Months of research had me hyped about this car but after reading the nightmares of horrific lead times on the hellcats and most importantly, trying to justify the purchase of $62k+ car to my wife when I have a 3 and 1 year old at home, I decided that maybe the Hellcat and for that matter, the Challenger just wasn’t for me.

Bringing my sweet Chrysler T&C (sarcasm there…) for an inspection and emission test (Northern VA..) I decided to chat with my sales guy Ray. We talked for a bit and I explained my delima. He showed me the Scatpack on their floor and started it up… wow. So I asked, “well I’ve never driven a 6Spd challenger, can I take the RT outside?” Hesitantly, he gave me the keys and I took it. The RT sounded great and rode very nice, but the performance was honestly, disappointing. When I returned I gave him the keys and said, just let me know when/if you get something closer to a Hellcat in.

2 weeks later, they got 2 A8 SRT 392’s in. I drove the SRT and completely fell in love. I was not only impressed by the exterior refinements for 2015, but the phenomenal interior upgrades. The car was quick, sounded amazing, and I was simply hooked however, I just needed to see what the 6spd felt like. I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to drive the manual the following day so I could make a comparison between the two however, this made ordering my 392 incredibly difficult, beyond belief.

The 8HP70 (and I'd assume the 8HP90 for that matter) is truly a proper automatic for this car. 8 speeds, 250mS shifts, faster quarter mile times… After 20 minutes of pacing the showroom floor, I placed the order for the Redline red SRT392 w/ Nav and the auto on 4/16 but I did have a very hard time sleeping that night; something just didn’t feel right. Apparently there is quite the debate on these forums about which one is better but personally, its all about "what feels right". For me, I really have no intentions of ever taking this car to the track and while I may not be as consistent as the auto, nor be capable of shifting as fast, I do truly feel the manual adds something extra to the car, something you just can’t get with an auto, even if it has“paddles”. Plus, while minor and most claim to never notice, the thought of MDS makes me cringe… I'm not buying the car because its fuel efficient...

Despite requesting the change, the vehicle was assigned a VIN and is going to be built as an auto in a few weeks. Ray placed an identical order for the 6Spd this past Saturday and as of the 29th it has been assigned a VIN with D status. If all goes well, I should be back in the country in time for an early June delivery but I will say this wait is horrible!

Skip shift eliminator has arrived, will be ordering the catch can this weekend, and Xpel clear bra for the front bumper plus tint is planned for the first week I bring her home.

For those of you actually read all of this, congrats! I look forward to being a part of the community!

-Joe

• Like Like x 2
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So Joe,, you have to red challenger srt coming in..Congrats,, please post pictures and driving impressions when they arrive..afe is working on CAI, I for one am impatiently waiting.... welcome to the family

3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello Joe, and welcome to the forum! Enjoyed reading about you! Please post pictures when your car arrives, we love to see them!

April

4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome Joe and there are longer posts than yours