compare the A8 to the A5

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by huggytree, Dec 3, 2014.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have never really been thrilled about the A5.....when i floor it many times it just sits there searching for what gear to downshift to.....1/2 the time it picks the wrong gear and then downshifts a 2nd time 2 seconds later.....i started driving it in autostick full time to get the performance i like....even auto stick has a second or so delay from taping the shifter left or right...its just blah

for those who have a A8 hellcat and used to have a A5 392......tell me the differences??

i know the actual shifting process is about 30% faster, but how are the down shifts?
    does it actually downshift fast and correctly?
    does it hangup sometimes for 1-2 seconds doing nothing like the A5?.....
    how is the delay from the paddle shifters?

id love to get a M6, but i just cant pass up an the 8 speed auto.....i personally cant buy a fast car and then pick the slower transmission....even though i love to drive manuals.....in some ways i wish they didnt offer a Automatic....then id have no choice to make.

2. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will let you know in a couple of weeks

3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Are you going to get the A8 or 6 speed?

4. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had an auto 6 speed in my 07 Vette. I did not like it so we sold the car and got a Shelby. If I would have got the manual would still have the car. It had paddle shifters and sport mode but just not all there, if you know what I mean. Was nice for long trips.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    im getting the A8......i dont believe in buying a fast car and then choosing the slower transmission

if the A8 gets 0-60 in 3.7 then the M6 will be 4.1.....my 392 A5 gets 4.3

id enjoy the M6 much more, but i cant get past it being .4 slower

(i still havent seen 0-60 or 1/4 mile M6 HC times....im assuming its the same as the 392 times and is .4 slower on average)

+ i suck at launching a stick(like 95% of the people out there)

6. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my bad you said that already. I heard the gearing on the A8 is awesome. That was the big problem on the Vette. Gear ratios sucked.

7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i dont know if id say the A8 has good gearing..when it can spin the tires all the way through 3rd 0-60.....i like my GT500 where 1st is up to 62mph......Dodge made the A8 1st gear worthless for performance driving....i hear 0-60's are best by starting in 2nd gear....thats just stupid........in 2013 the GT500 stretched out 1st gear over the 2012 year.....i believe it was an effort to keep the car on the road....by doing 3 gear changes 0-60 i would call it awesome gearing on the HC...seems like a MPG trick and not a performance trick

also ive still never seen a mag reviewer that can get anywhere near 3.7 seconds 0-60 with the A8...i have no doubts that Richard Rawlings can do it, but car &drivers prof. driver cant.....i dont think any of them could even beat a 392 with the bad 0-60's ive seen....i remember 1 online review who couldnt get under 5 seconds

i look forward to the A8...even though i am bad mouthing it to a degree.....8 speeds will be amazing

id still like to hear what dodges 0-60 is with the M6.....maybe since it doesnt need a gear change its faster than id think....maybe its 3.7 also.....if it was id consider a M6....i sure love the look of that shifter...very cool

8. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have the screen to make adjustments or just play ( A8). On the manual there is a launch control but I doubt I will use it much.

9. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is a launch control on both transmissions.

10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you can change the shift points on the A8 im sure, but thats just about rpms and how hard/fast it shifts gears.....its not like i can make 1st gear go to 60mph like id like it to...the gearing is set by Dodge and for some reason they want it to shift 2x to get to 60mph while most really fast cars now go to 60+ in 1st

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So the Hellcat is not a "really fast car"? Certainly you won't buy one right?

12. Marian Polack

Marian Polack Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Car and driver made it quicker! During the tests, they were able to get 3.6 with the A8. Check it out: Dodge Challenger SRT SRT Hellcat Reviews - Dodge Challenger SRT SRT Hellcat Price Photos and Specs - CARandDRIVER Quarter-mile in 11.7, but I guess there are two reasons for problems with acceleration. First of all rear tires are to narrow. Second a tires are hopeless. When you change the rubber, HC will be much more faster. I suppose both transmissions are pretty damn good:).

13. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    just curious, I can see a manual going to 60 in first, but what automatics do you know of that go to 60 in first?

14. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sounds like 1st is a granny gear.......... very low

15. ATLHellcat

ATLHellcat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The A8 is designed to shift to keep the power band in the optimal range. No way even the best manual shifter can even get close to the 250 milliseconds the A8 can shift. I didn't own a car with the A5 but I did have a R/T as a rental one time and I definitely was WAY slower than that.

Here is a cool website to check reaction time so you can see just how quick 250milliseconds is. Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test