Concerns about quality

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by robmypro, Jun 1, 2015.

1. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys,

I have been reading these forums and I see a lot of posts about problems. This brings back bad memories to when I had a Dodge, and had a lot of quality / reliability issues. This is the number 1 thing that gives me pause about buying a Hellcat. I understand that only the problems get mentioned, and that very few people are coming here to say their car is trouble-free, but I checked manufacturer quality rankings, and Chrysler is pretty far down the list (28 out of 33 I think).

And the warranty being reduced by Dodge also gives me pause.

I know it is impossible for anyone to say for sure if I would have problems or not, but I am just looking for opinions. Next year I can buy whatever I like for less than $100k, and I have quite a few options. The Hellcat is tops on my list, but quality has me rethinking that.

Thanks for the opinions!

2. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will also add that I love the look and performance of the Challenger. Such a beautiful car.

3. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Asking that kind of question here isn't going to give you the answer you're really after (an unbiased one). Pretty much 99% of us are going to say we love our cars. There are Hellcat-specific issues that Dodge is working out because the car is so new and there are issues that you would see from any car.

My opinion? Get a Hellcat if you really want one and can afford it. It's a great car.

4. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the same concerns about quality. I had a 2013 Challenger RT that need a the transmission throttle body replaced at 2,000 miles. I had it for 1 year, before selling to buy the Hellcat. I really liked the car, not sure if anything else would have failed.

But the fear have having quality issues with the Hellcat isn't what's going to stop me from buying it, It's being stuck in VON HELL! Ordered 10/17/2014, my patience is running out.

5. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So to help answer your question, I've only had my hellcat one week have 250 miles is all but the car is amazing paint interior and run ability it has more than satisfied my expectations. and by the way I've ownd a lot of new cars in my day. lol

6. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for chiming in Dak. I know it is a hard one to get opinions on. I am hoping that the data Dodge is getting from warranty work right now is going into the 2016 MY. I may wait until the 2017 MY is announced next year to pull the trigger, just to be safe.

I also understand that the HC is a full blown race car, and shit happens. That's the nature of cars like this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys. BTW, how much additional protection does the extended warranty provide?

8. BgAL

BgAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should definitely not buy the Hellcat. Buy a Camaro or a Ford. That way, there will be one more for those of us who have no hesitation and are ready to pull the trigger now. LOL - Seriously, I would not worry too much. All cars have their problems. For a new roll out, with the components going into this car, I actually think the problems have been relatively minor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. robmypro

robmypro Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL thanks BgAl.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2000 miles and "bulletproof"!
    Only issue so far is the damn stereo system, so counting my blessings! Build #617 and loving it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have no issues so far paint is good power is awesome. Extended 7/96000 from Mopar and buy ONLY Mopar

12. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had three Challengers in a row, and have been problem free with all of them. My first was Bane, a 2009 Challenger SRT8 (6.1L) in TorRed. Great car and I loved everything but the color. In 2012 I was going to paint the car, but my husband said he would rather me start over with a new car warranty and talked me into trading instead of painting. So, I traded the 2009 for my 2013 Challenger 392 (6.4L) that I named Ozzy ... Jazz Blue. As I posted on the other thread, I adored everything about Ozzy ... I ordered all of the options I wanted, in the color I wanted ... settled for nothing. I would still be driving Ozzy right now if I had not given in to the pressure of the HellCat. I have had Dante, my HellCat Challenger, since December. As I said before, I have had no problems with any of the Challengers I have owned.

I dunno what to tell you, other than if you are that worried about it, perhaps you would be better off waiting until the 2016 or perhaps a 2017 HellCat, to give Dodge time to work any bugs out of the system since 2015 is the first production year for this engine.

April

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. darin skelly

darin skelly Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Read my post to your other thread. Also I had similar concerns and still do. It's a dodge and not german. We have a warranty and if it's a dud then I move on. But all indications are it's a well built machine. I even watched the long production factory vid to get more confident. It should be just fine.

D

• Like Like x 1
  14. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Only imperfection for me so far was the HK sound in the Charger - had this fixed 2 weeks ago and now when I don't want to just listen to the engine I can readily transport myself to a symphony hall. Otherwise no complaints at all!

15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i still havent made a 2nd appointment yet, but i clearly smelled coolant when i walked past my car today

my paint is decent.....not as good as the GM's i own or the Ford

if your buying the car expecting anything other than #28 out of #31 for quality you may be disappointed

its a Dodge....not a Honda...

i bought 2 challengers now...its what i want......i accept their quality issues in return for their uniqueness

if i had $100,000 to spend i would get a Z06 convertible or a GTR

i had $70k to spend, and need to fit 5 passengers....so i got a Hellcat

im happy