Correct Engine temp after running for 20 Min?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by slicks, May 10, 2016.

1. slicks

slicks Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just picked up new Challenger Hellcat and its drives and sounds amazing !! 6 speed

One thing I did notice...now the car is brand new 50 miles on it...is that temperature gauge stays mostly in center when up to operating temps after 20 min of driving in traffic but went as high up as the 3/4 hot mark on gauge just under the 125 mark. and then sometimes goes back down as far as almost 1/4 mark?

is this normal operation with these type of swings being we live in Toronto Canada and was only 15 degrees today? or something I should keep an eye on?

Your replies are welcome...thanks :)

2. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What are the actual degrees ?

My car swings from 174 to 225 depending on situation.

Running with the a/c off wil produce larger temp swings because the fans aren't running to keep the condenser cool.

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting, I thought running the A/C would contribute more to heating up the engine. I thought that if your engine overheats they said to turn the heat on with the fan up high to pull off the heat from the engine and cool it a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's complicated.

There's a few things to consider. One is when the thermostat is designed to open/close, and the other is when the fans are designed to kick in.

If the a/c is not on, the ECM will only kick the fans on according to water temp. I'm not sure of the exact temps or high/low speeds. I know my high speed fan kicks on at 224*.

There is a point when the the t-stat is full open (I think around 190), but the fans won't kick in until the engine needs to cool down. This takes advantage of the natural air flow across the radiator while driving.

If your a/c is on, your fans will run according to your a/c, no matter how hot or cold your engine is. So if your a/c pressures are high, or you have high condenser temps, the fan will kick on. (I'm not sure if Dodge monitors condenser temps, high/low side pressures, or just turns the fans in with the a/c compressor)

For this reason your water temp will stay lower because the fans run more often.

If your cooling system is already overloaded, then your a/c will put more heat into the engine and cause over heating.

Turning on your heater pulls more heat from your engine because you begin using another small radiator to aid in cooling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    FWIW, I highly doubt the fans ever kick on when you are moving at speed (probably 50+ MPH). The airflow should be enough to keep everything cooled down. I don't think a spinning fan's airflow would be compounded by moving air speed, unless I'm wrong...

The SRT thermostat gauge is also very sensitive - low range between C and H. If the HC runs up to 224*, and as low as 174*, that certainly sounds possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think they do either. But a temp swing is still possible, just from the t-stat opening and closing.

I drive my hellcat in town more than the highway. I'm usually in the 45-50 range in stop and go and rarely ever run the a/c, so I'm used to seeing some pretty big temp swings. From 220 to 180 is common on a cool day.
    Usually temps stay somewhat steady around 200

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    15 degrees? I assume you mean Celsius? You guys have to get rid of that European crap and step up to the civilized world. Next you will giving your times in Kilometers per hour!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rc and nm
    Way to help a rookie out and myself included

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  9. cjohn7

cjohn7 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your temps are normal. This beast is unlike other cars where the temp needle just stays put. Normal arc is from 1/4 mark up to 3/4 mark. Your fan will kick on when it starts creeping up towards the 3/4 markl (its a loud fan you should hear it). And the temp will drop back down.
    This will happen over and over while driving especially if stuck in traffic. Totally normal.

• Agree Agree x 1