Correct engine temperature range after running 20min?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by slicks, May 10, 2016.

1. slicks

slicks Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just picked up new Challenger Hellcat and its drives and sounds amazing !! 6 speed

One thing I did notice...now the car is brand new 50 miles on it...is that temperature gauge stays mostly in center when up to operating temps after 20 min of driving in traffic but went as high up as the 3/4 hot mark on gauge just under the 125 mark. and then sometimes goes back down as far as almost 1/4 mark?

is this normal operation with these type of swings being we live in Toronto Canada and was only 15 degrees today? or something I should keep an eye on?

Your replies are welcome...thanks :)

2. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If my conversion is right 125C is 257F is to high. Try monitoring your temps on the SRT Performance Pages screen and watch the actual numbers. Normal operating temps seem to be 201-206F driving and up to 221F stop and go traffic. If you get above 221F I'd take it in. Mine actually had a thermostat stuck shut at 250 miles and I overheated. Dealer replaced the thermostat and since my temps have been as I previously described. Good luck.

Edit: Just wanted to point out when my thermostat went bad I was stuck in a traffic jam but while I was moving temps would drop down to ok levels. I'm no mechanic but maybe your thermostat isn't opening up all the way or your cooling fans aren't working properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My plate right in the middle of the grill (making no difference at all in temps) is 203F at 80 F outside air temp, at roadway speed (meaning the car is moving).
    20160519_191602.jpg

4. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not normal for an engine to oscillate up and down that much.
    Mine does that and I hate it.
    The fan is designed to be a variable speed to maintain temperature, however in my experience this one doesn't work nicely.
    At speed the motor stays constant but stop and go? Up and down

• Agree Agree x 1