Could the reading light inadvertently left on, drain or damage the battery?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by MuscleGarageLA, Apr 2, 2016.

1. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry if this has already been addressed, however I could not dig it up on the forum. Plenty of opinions on the website from different manufacturers and it's all inconclusive and slightly confusing..lol

I noticed the right reading light or lamp(passenger side) had been left on for the last 48 hours. The car started up on the second attempt (usually starts up on the 1st attempt) I decided to take it out for my regular weekend drive.

By the time I came back from my 75 mins drive the battery voltage was at 13.8-13.9 V. I checked my other car (the challenger), started it up and it was fluctuating between 13.9-14 V.

Do you guys reckon everything is fine? Was the slightly over one hour drive sufficient to fully charge up the battery to its previous state? Has anyone else encountered a similar experience which he/she would like to share? Would sincerely appreciate if the wonderful folks out here could share their expertise on this matter. Cheers..!!!

2. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks. We had a similar experience with my wife's car and the battery packed up in 24 hours. Lol. We had to call roadside assistance.

4. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We've all been there. Your 75 min road trip was more than adequate to charge it back up.

5. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    the BCM's (body control module) interior lamp load shedding protocol would automatically turn off any interior lamp left on after approximately 8 minutes.
    the LED reading lamp bulb does not draw enough amperage to discharge your battery in 8 minutes.
    not sure why it would not start on the first attempt but i doubt it was related to the reading lamp being left on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. MuscleGarageLA

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I was also quite surprised. Like I mentioned in the beginning, I went out for a drive and noticed the right lamp on. I highly doubt I put it on, like I sometimes do after the entering the car to locate the USB port for charging my phone.

But that's really awesome to know that if you forget to turn off the lamp you enabled manually, the BCM steps in.

I was under the impression that the BCM only managed the glove/ trunk light and that if the reading lamps were turned on manually they stayed on until they were manually turned off. The manual has also catgorized the lamps and interior lights separately and created a distinction. That's what was confusing to me.

From the manual (Pg 143-144):

Map/Reading Lights

These lights are mounted between the sun visors on the overhead console. Each light is turned on by pressing the lens. Press the lens a second time to turn off the light. These lights also turn on when a door is opened, or when the UNLOCK button on the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is pressed, or when the dimmer control is turned fully upward, past the second detent.

Interior Lights

The interior lights come on when a door is opened.

To protect the battery, the interior lights will turn off automatically 10 minutes after the ignition is moved to the LOCK position. This will occur if the interior lights were switched on manually or are on because a door is open. This includes the glove box light and the trunk light.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016