Couple M6 questions for everybody

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by notcvrd, May 20, 2016.

1. notcvrd

notcvrd Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have about 1600 miles on my Hellcat now and there are a few strange issues I have notices with my M6 and was wondering if anybody else has noticed these things:

1. I have a steep driveway and when I go up the driveway (turning left into the driveway) at roughly a 45 degree angle the car feels like it lifts the rear drivers side wheel off the ground. It gets light enough that every time I go up the wheel spins. I need to feather the clutch and throttle or I will light the tires up. I can't try it turning right as that side of the drive is too steep and the front will hit. It is an odd feeling, like the car is on a teeter-totter for a second.

2. Does anybody have stalling issues when the car is warm? I will be stopped at a traffic light (everytime has been behind another vehicle) and when I go to start out, the car will stutter - if I push the clutch in quick enough it will rev back up to normal idle but it has stalled on me a few times also. Nothing like stalling your 707hp car in the middle of traffic. I have also stalled it in my driveway going into the garage and at the bottom of the driveway slowing down for the issue above. And yes, before any body want to be a smart a** - I do know how to drive a manual. It just seems to stall out when in a situation when I have to be gentle with the throttle so I don't hit the person in front of me or go flying into the garage.

3. When turning at a slow speed (idle in first gear) i can hear a grinding noise from the rear end.

Any input from from the community would be great.

Thanks and happy weekend driving.

2. NMCAT

NMCAT SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have a very steep driveway and mine does the same thing. It does feel like it lifts the one side of the ground. Probably not actually lifting it off the ground, but sure feels that way. If I don't feather there clutch it will spin the tires all the way up. When I do it just right it just spins a little getting over the lip. First gear is very tall in my opinion and it's very easy to stall. If it stalls it's definately my fault not anything wrong with car. Haven't heard the infamous rear end noise yet but from what I read it's definately normal in most cases. I need to drive around real slow with windows down and listen sometime.

3. LukeFortney

LukeFortney Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1. I've experienced this same thing also. Not sure why other than it's just a combination of the wheel base and little suspension travel.

2. He is right about the gears being tall. That makes it a little tougher to be smooth when starting out. Also, I think these engines are just not the smoothest at an idle, due to the large cams I'm guessing. I too have been driving sticks for years.

Only have 300 miles on so far, but I agree that the clutch is a little harder to get used to than most that I've driven. But hey, who doesn't love a challenge right?

4. Catscratch Fever

Catscratch Fever Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The rear end noise, if it's the noise you hear going slow and turning. Have the dealer drain diff fluid, add new diff fluid then add friction modifier ( dealer has it). It fixed mine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. USAFPILOT

USAFPILOT Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    quit trying to save gas!

• Like Like x 1
  6. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1st gear is stupid tall, I've said it before and I'm saying it again.
    I don't subscribe to the whole "if the gears were lower it would just spin the tires all the time"
    I'm seriously considering going to the 3.90 rear out of the srt392 car. It's a very small change but I believe it would help a lot without changing the entire dynamic of the car.
    Also the clutch type limited slip is not enough traction for the car, spinning one tire like my car does in strange circumstances is unacceptable. I'm hoping that Eaton Detroit steps up and takes care of us with a true trac that will fit the stock housing and will permit bolt on gears of choice.

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    +1 on No. 3 and I have an A8

8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have not had enough seat time in my car yet because I need to drive it. The more seat time the better for us. I will say that the amount of stalking I do is simply because I am babying the car and keeping rpms too low. These are powerful machines and need to be driven right. Baby the car at lights and stop signs the car stalls more, instead get the rpms up and drive it like it is designed. I am done doing that and once I let the 500 mile cat out of the bag, the tires come off in a month

9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same here on #3. I think most people have thus regardless of transmission

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. moparmangamble

moparmangamble Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to put my 3.92 diff in soon. Hopefully going to race Thursday with the 3.70, then I'll swap.

11. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    have not noticed any hesitation pulling out... could be an issue with the tall first gear OR getting use to it.. get it checked also if your sure its not you

my parking area at my house is parallel to the road so there is a hump i need to cross on an angle.. yes it feels like one wheel od lifting up. pulling out i usually do a tight u-turn from my parking area and it will always spin the inside tire a little

get the rear noise checked out

~Peace 14,500 miles of smiles in mine

12. notcvrd

notcvrd Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input. Every new car has its little idiosyncrasies and rather that getting all worked up and running to the dealership, I figures the best way to find out is to ask the guys that drive them.