Cquartz detailing blog

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by CanuckH3llKat, Apr 21, 2015.

1. CanuckH3llKat

CanuckH3llKat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    2015 Hellcat
    DetailingBlissApril 21, 2015Write-ups
    The owner of this lovely vehicle came to me wanting to properly detail and most importantly protect his new pride and joy. It’s quite the privilege to detail such a gorgeous vehicle.

Well as always here is the vehicle as it was delivered to me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This vehicle was to receive a full paint decontamination, Minor Paint Enhancement (that’s my fancy way of saying single power polishing pass) and the paint protection of choice was CQUARTZ Finest. Well on with the show, as always I begin by taking care of what I call the shoes of the vehicle (those would be the wheels).

First I gathered all the necessary buckets, if you hear detailers say they use the three bucket method what that means is that two buckets are for washing the vehicle and the third bucket is to take care of the wheels. In the third bucket are various brushes and mitts. It begins by spraying P21S Wheel Gel (Green version that is as the red version isn’t really needed as this is a brand new vehicle). Then with the help of my wool sticks I’m able to reach all the way inside the rims, with a wash mitt I then scrub the face of the rims. Tires are scrubbed with a Maguire’s tyre brush and last but not least the wheel wells are scrubbed with yet another wash mitt. Oh before I forget with a fine brush I scrub the calipers and the locking nuts. Here is how all that scrubbing looks like:
    [​IMG]
    If your saying to your self that’s allot of scrubbing, you are absolutely correct! This exact same process is carried out to all four corners of the vehicle. Once the shoes are taken care of I then proceed to wash the rest of the vehicle via the two bucket method.

Once the entire vehicle is washed I then begin the three stage paint decontamination process. First step is remove all iron contaminants, on new vehicles the amount of iron contamination on the paint surface is quite shocking. For this task I turn to Iron X and here is Iron X hard at work:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I mentioned new vehicles are usually in this state, heavily contaminated. If your asking yourself how could a brand new vehicle be so heavily contaminated? Well it’s quite simple, during transport the vehicles are exposed to the elements also the other factor to add is how is the vehicle being transferred. If it’s via train well there is a large amount of air born iron contaminants floating around. Well you get the idea, I usually leave Iron X for two or three minutes. Now quite frankly I don’t time my self but what I do is that I spray the entire vehicle with Iron X by the time I’ve made my way around the vehicle I go get the my camera and inspect the vehicle and capture what I see. So that’s how I come up with the two to three minutes time frame. I then proceed to agitate Iron X with a dedicated micro fiber towel, the purpose of this is to loosen all the contamination and further remove any stubborn iron contaminants, which have made their way to the vehicle’s paint. Once I’ve wiped the entire vehicle I then give the vehicle a good rinse.

The second step of the decontamination process is to remove all organic contamination. When I say organic I’m referring to such things are road tar, tree zap (which is a bit unlikely as the vehicle is brand new but just in case). To remove all organic contamination I turn to Tardis. For those that have never used Tardis, Tardis is extremely potent. Infact it’s so potent that another thing it’s good at is removing left over glue from the vehicles plastic cover which is applied from the manufacturing plant to protect the vehicle. That and as well as stripping the vehicle of any so called prep woek the dealership may have done ot the vehicle. On new vehicles I apply Tardis one panel at a time and wipe within seconds I wipe it off. Yes, you read that correctly seconds. Tardis is way too strong to leave on the surface of a new vehicle for more then seconds…that and I’m quite paranoid of potentially damaging the paint with Tardis, but that’s just me being paranoid :shrug: Any who, once I have applied and wiped off the entire vehicle with Tardis I then give the vehicle yet another rinse.

The last and final step of the decontamination process is to clay the vehicle, the clay of choice on this vehicle is the infamous Yellow clay bar. As expected hardly any contamination was picked up from the paint but it did make the paint’s surface much smother.

That completes the three stage paint decontamination and the very last step is to give the vehicle a good rinse with Reverse Osmosis water followed up with air drying the vehicle to remove as much water as possible. Quickly followed up with a micro fiber towel to completely dry the vehicle.

With that the vehicle is finally cleansed and ready for me to proceed with the Minor Paint Enhancement, meaning single power polishing pass. I regret to inform that I didn’t take any pictures of the single power polishing pass for one good reason and that is the vehicles color. Regrettably my photography skills still need to be refined when it comes to capturing the defects of a light color vehicle. What I mean by that is that I’m having to manually focus my camera and well as you can expect the end results are that most pictures turn out a bit blurry so rather then showing some poor quality and blurry pictures I rather not post them.

Moving along I decided to polish the vehicle with Menzerna Super Finish partnered with a blue 3M UK Finishing foam pad. Once I finished the single power polishing pass, to remove all the polish residue I gave the vehicle a final wipe down with Pre-Kleano. This stuff literally leaves the vehicles paint squeakily clean and with the wipe down complete I can finally start to apply:
    [​IMG]
    CQUARTZ Finest!

Two coats of Finest were applied to the paint, wheels, door jams and inside the gas cap. Now it was time to finish off the last few items which was to polish the exhaust tips and dress the tires. That about does it for this vehicle and with out further delay here are the end results:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Just look at that reflection [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was quite impressed with the body lines, they’ve really done a great job at giving the vehicles exterior not only a mean look but a very sleek look as well. You may have noticed that the pictures I took seemed to focus more on the body lines and gloss of course.

Well my apologies for the short amount of pictures but with practice I’m sure my photography skills will improve.

That concludes this write up on this lovely Hellcat, as always thank you for taking the time to reading and seeing this write up. Any feed back is always appreciated.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hellcat83

Hellcat83 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't even know anywhere around here that does that, let alone that nice of a job! Beautiful!

3. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ya the guy who did it seems really passionate about detailing!!! I have no doubt he would do that great a job every time, I would not doubt take my car back any time. I'm going to take in my 09 SRT8 to have it completely detailed inside and out, it needs some lovin!! lol

4. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Carlos will be doing mine. Just exchanged a bunch of text messages with him. Congrats.

The 'Cat looks pretty good, for a boring color anyway. ;)

5. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ouch, that hurts, boring color??? lol Its a sleeper color, won't attract the wrong attention if you know what I mean!!! hehehe

6. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've already called it in. You won't go un-noticed any longer MISTER! If they can track me from space, the least they can do it tail you around the city

7. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Satellites are too slow to track me!! lol

8. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha ha. Well, "supposedly" the Charger has the higher top speed. Of course, that's only rumour. ROFLMAO!

9. HellFox

HellFox Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    shut up and take my money!

Canuck: Thanks for sharing his write up. I have a feeling my questions today may have sparked you to post this lol. How long did he have the car for?

10. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think it should somehow be proven..lol

11. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    He had it for 2 days to do that detailing and paint protection, so not too long at all!! Like I said, he did a great job!!

12. Cruisin1966

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed. I'm in.

Yup, did a friend's Mustang GT and it looks AMAZING!!!

13. HellFox

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I dont want to be without my baby for 2 days!:(

14. CanuckH3llKat

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It was a tough 2 days, but well worth it in the end!!

15. HellFox

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    maybe cruisin will let me borrow his while mine is getting the 5 star treatment...:p