Cross country drive to the Grand Canyon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wayne, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello All,
    I'm trying to plan a drive from Upstate NY to the Grand Canyon, sometime late this summer. (In the Challenger, of course!) I'm not a very experienced traveler and haven't been many places, with the exception of driving to Charlotte, NC last summer. What a great place! Stopped along the way, here and there.
    I don't plan on being in a hurry to get to the GC,, just looking for ideas on where to see and stop along the way.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My husband and I love to travel, and as soon as he retires (hopefully in the next 3 years) we are planning to drive across country. I have been to the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas ... not much else that far West. The Hoover Dam is a must, we really enjoyed it. Vegas was ... okay. We did not get to spend much time there, and are hoping to go back soon and spend 2 weeks. Then we will be able to enjoy ourselves, instead so the rushed 2 days we were there before. I hope you have a safe and fun trip ... enjoy!

April

3. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you April, I'd like to see the Hoover Dam. I'd probably skip going to Vegas. I'm more into seeing Nature, animals, scenery and quiet places. I don't even know how to play "Go Fish", so gambling is out.

4. 707 Fc7

707 Fc7 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Made road trip from Michigan to grand canyon and back with family a couple of years ago. Concentrated on locations in Rockies.
    Colorado stops included Hanging lake, Glenwood springs, Pagosa springs, Pikes Peak, Breckenridge
    Utah: Arches. Canyon lands.
    Nevada/ Arizona: Hoover dam
    Grand canyon: Hiked down to Colorado river one day. Hiked out the next.
    Those are only a few of many attractions out there.
    Had no interest in stopping at any places east of the Rockies.
    Plan on doing again with wife in next couple of years. Plan to see grand tetons and yellow stone.
    The national parks are marvelous and an American treasure.
    If you plan on doing overnight at base of grand canyon you will need to call ahead and book lodging in advance.
    Space is limited.
    I called a year in advance to secure reservations for family of 6.
    Happy planning...

5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I understand. Marty and I actually did not do any gambling while we were in Las Vegas. We went to a show, went out to eat, and then did Karaoke with friends that live in Henderson. The karaoke with friends was the best part! We were not there long enough for anything else.

April

6. Wayne

Wayne Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the advice. Which side (North or South) of the Grand Canyon did you enjoy most? Sounds like several good choices I can investigate.

7. 707 Fc7

707 Fc7 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    South rim: trail is 8 mile hike down to base. 10 miles hike out.
    Around 5000 foot elevation change
    South rim is very touristy. 90 % of grand canyon visitors go to South side.
    Walk to base lodging via North rim is around a 20 mile hike. Believe me 8 down/10 out was scenic enough.