Daily Driver Questions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Spathiinc, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Spathiinc

Spathiinc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey all,

I'm new here and am looking for some sage advice from current HC commuters. I had to sell my 911 S (991) because the kids needed a bit more room in the back, so I've been looking around and the thought of a Hellcat keeps drawing me in. My brain is telling me I might be better off with the SRT 396 as a commuter, but... crazy has a certain appeal. That said, could some of you commuters weigh in on these questions?

#1 Daily Driver range?
    This will be a daily driver commute car, ~50 miles round trip in moderate/heavy Bay Area freeway traffic (including school drop-off). I don't really care about MPG, but range is semi-important to me. It would be somewhat annoying to have to fill up multiple times a week, as I could routinely get a full week out of the 911. I've done a little bit of forum searching for this, but the numbers seem all over the board, from single digits to low 20's. If I could regularly nail ~15 mpg with the 18.5 gallon tank, I'd be very pleased. If you drive like a normal person for stop-and-go freeway commute, what kind of real world range would you get? Do you have to flip it into eco for reasonable commute mpg?

#2 Transmission settings
    One of the things I disliked about the 911 was the buttery-smooth PDK gearbox. It was fast shifting and all, but lacked head snapping drama of a single clutch box. I realize the hellcat has transmission settings, but what actually changes when you dial that setting up/down?

#3 Reliability
    Does this thing really hold up to DD abuse? I don't have any experience with the Dodge brand, but I'm hoping it's not as fussy as euro sports cars. Of course, I realize the engine itself is too new for longer-term reliability impressions, but how about the rest of the car? Are SRT Challengers fairly reliable?

#4 That supercharger whine
    I've never heard this in person, but the youtube videos make it kinda sound like electric motor whine... is that off base? I'm not a big fan of the whine my wife's Tesla makes when you stomp on it, but maybe it's less weird if you also have that V8 soundtrack?

#5 Morning noise
    This one is a little silly and isn't going to impact my decision, but I'd like your thoughts anyway. I'm on nice 'smile and wave hello' terms with most of my neighbors, but I park outside and leave for work before 7am every day. Will the hellcat piss off my neighbors? Once the little boy next door once told me my 911 would wake him up every morning, which broke my heart just a little bit (but not enough to change my work schedule). How far of a 'wake up' radius do you think this thing has for driveway parking?

Thanks in advance, in general I'm finding this site very educational.
    ~Matt

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The neighbors will be so envious that they won't even pay attention to #5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Spathiinc

Spathiinc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe... every other house is either an electric or a hybrid. :(
    The one dude with a Raptor will be able to appreciate it, but not sure about anyone else.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you must be from ca
    you must be from califreakinfornia like me....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Spathiinc

Spathiinc Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, San Jose. Fortunately, I live at the edge of civilization, so I can barrel into the countryside for escape.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've only clocked a 100 miles on mine to date but I can say at this point that there is no sneeking out or sneeking in with the Hellcat. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    5000 miles today. DD is no issue. I will switch vehicles for midwest winters.
    mt6/ average mpg 18 /
    120 mile total commute /75 interstate/80-85 mh.
    Noise isn't an issue, I believe your overthinking sc whine. Morning start ups?; well Kitty don't like waking up. She settles in pretty quick- but she's grumpy first 4-5 min for sure. But to a point of rolling somebody outta bed, naw, that would be an issue for them.
    -Your mindset is ganna be different. By that I mean the 911 got looks.. The Kitty will get a glance but basically only those in the Know will get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. mxer14

mxer14 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's my take. I live in San Jose, the hellcat is my daily driver, and my commute is about 50 miles a day to work and back if I don't do anything else.

1. I get about 14mpg range if I stay off of it. Unfortunately I can't make it a week on a full tank so I do have to fill up by the end of the week.
    2. The transmission shift is soft in street setting (which is what you want in traffic) but when you put it in sport or track it hangs in the gear longer and shifts seem to firm up. Track will give you the drama you're looking for.
    3. Reliability. That's the million dollar question on a new drivetrain. All I have to say is get a warranty. My radiator has already been replaced due to tank separation (like others). However my last 2011 Challenger was reliable and I had no problems with it.
    4. The supercharger whine is there and you do hear it if you get on it. It sounds like a stereo engine noise from a bad ground but you add it to the V8 soundtrack and it is amazing.
    5. Depending on your neighborhood and how the sound carries, it is loud at first startup. But anyone that isn't up by 7am should be up anyway. It's the coming home at midnight at speed you should be more courteous about.

My final thoughts. The 392 is a fine and fast car and it will do everything you want it to do but if you want that extra excitement and scares you a little then get a hellcat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    1. You'll fill it after or on 4th day. Doubt a 392 gets that much better but I don't own one.
    2. Track holds shifts longer and makes them more firm but you sacrifice mileage when not in street.
    3. Who knows about reliability, what I will say is I have a 2014 R/T and it's fine.
    4. I'm half deaf but the whine can be heard at any speed with a dip of the throttle. Any more throttle and the exhaust note takes over;)
    5. I love the growl at idle but it's not race car loud. Driving side street 25mph if trans in sport or track it holds 3rd gear and will be louder.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1. I was averaging 13-15 city, driving like an idiot. My one highway trip saw 22mpg.

4. You will fall in love with the supercharger whine.

5. I live in a cul-de-sac and all my neighbors have commented on the start up noise. I make it a point to call before I get home as not to wake up the baby if she's napping. Like somebody else said, there is no sneaking around but it's not obnoxious...unless you want it to be.

If price is not an issue, grab the HC. After having one for over 6 months I can't imagine myself being happy in a lesser model.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is a daily driver. You won't regret the decision. Lots of room, easy to drive when you want to just drive. Respect the power on tap when you want to have some fun and you will be fine.

SRT392 or Hellcat the mileage differential is negligible. I think the only way you could notice any difference would be if your foot was to the floor all the time. If that is the case it won't matter as your family will be visiting you in jail so you won't be driving the car anyway...

1) I get around 18.5 in 'normal' driving. Everyday driving mix and I'm not trying to get good mileage but rather just driving
    2) The A8 is one of the best things on these cars. In track mode it holds shifts longer, shifts harder, downshifts faster etc. Transmission and transmission programming are gems.
    3) Reliability is good. There are a few problems but they are far and few between and no different than any other brand. I've been driving (and still drive) Euro cars and this is not nearly as fussy. Even the Euro cars are better but you can just get in and drive this thing...
    4) The supercharger and supercharger whine is one of the other gems in this car. You can't fully appreciate it until you hear it. I think you will LOVE it. Trust me on this one.
    5) Cold start is loud, they idle high for a few minutes and definitely make some noise. I'd risk alienating your neighbors. If they get an attitude take them for a ride. Chances are they will go buy one too and then you will be friends again. It's not that bad but louder than most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you need leg room in front there wont be any in the back ;) its fine as a DD

13. TxBoosted

TxBoosted Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Your kids will love you if you get the Charger hellcat over the Challenger, makes a worlds difference not having to get in and out of a coupe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf BackinBlack

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Currently I'm traveling 76km both ways to work. If you are worried about fuel just switch to eco mode(which it actually has).

You will love the 8 speed.....not familiar with the std gear box.

No issues on reliability.........car has been a tank.

supercharger whine..........can't hear over music :p

I leave for work a 5:30am.........haven't had any complaints yet on the noise ;)

My kids are older 17, 21, 23 and they love the Charger :cool:

15. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    As far a #5:
    My wife has a 2015 Charger SXT Ralley with auto-start and I have a 2015 Charger Hellcat.

If I auto-start her car I have to go outside to see if it's running. Not so with my Hellcat.