Damage from hitting blown tire

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Nitemare, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Some idiot on the freeway today made me hit some remains from a blown semi tire. I had ACC running and noticed the car suddenly braking (was on my phone). I was a decent distance from the car but not enough to make any good moves to avoid hitting it. The tire went under the center of his car and bounced around in my lane (far left lane), and I had nowhere to really go since I didn't know where the tire would bounce next.

Ended up smacking the right front side. Thought it only went under the wheels, but boy was I wrong :(. It smacked the front bumper, and then the rear passenger door and rocker panel. The front is pretty bad. Door cleaned up okay...

The black residue washed off, but there are some scratches on the front, and the fog lamp shroud (black piece) was pushed way back and and is still recessed despite me re-seating it. You can see where dirt collected behind the piece and how it's not perfectly even with the fascia contours.

Any recommendations, or just move on from it? First three pictures are initial damage (except I "fixed" the fog shroud before that), and last two are what remain...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How about wet sanding. You could try orbital buffer with polish first.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any recommendations.. Uh, ok
    First if in the hammer lane might be a good idea to stay off the phone and drive. That might keep that idiot in front of you, who's fault this is of course, from messing your day up.
    You hit an "alligator", we have 'em around here a lot. some of us even leave room between the idiot in front of of us just for this reason.
    Really a big deal if on your scooter- sorry bout your luck, but sometimes if we can realize it may have been somebody's fault besides the idiot in front of you, that's when we learn a lesson.. Glad your safe and it wasn't worse. And hope the call was really important one!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why is it someone else's fault you were on your phone and hit a FOD or Road Gater ?

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Try WD-40 or Goo Gone to get the black off and a mild polish and I bet you get it 90%.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    looks scratched up....id take it to a body shop.....i wouldnt let it go on a special car like yours

shit happens....at some point all HC's will have some body/paint work done.....try to avoid a carfax report...pay cash

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad your all right......good responses above and after......commuting everyday, over 100 miles at 70-80 mph...it happens whether your on the phone or looking down at the gauges for a minute...
    Negative comments...you weren't there........:p

• Like Like x 1
  8. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What a mess, but you are OK. That is important

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, you are right. My advise to a 21 yr ole young driver was meant to be negative. Pay no heed to my comments or others of like mind. Pay no mind to what you experienced and for goodness sake, don't learn from it. Follow this guys wisdom. After all, he is right, no one else was there. (course some of us have been there and like to pass on the knowledge)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can never tell where road debris is going to shoot out. I was in the right lane going around a bend at 75 and there was a giant must have been 6 ft long black alligator with tons of scraps all over. Shit was flying everywhere but I missed it all. Luckily

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    rode over a 2x4 once....lucky it was with a 80's K5 Blazer with steel side steps....dented the side step...felt horrible going over....imagine that on a HC...youd have dents all over under your car

12. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Phone or no phone, starting from 75 MPH and at the interval used by ACC on setting 2, there was no time to make a safe reaction. As soon as the car in front of me began braking hard I saw what was going on. I should have been further back and it might have turned out differently, but who knows.

I blame the guy in front of me simply because he hit the thing and caused it to fly all over the road. I've avoided these "alligators" in that same area of the highway on my commute for a few days now - getting ridiculous. When it is sitting there it's easy to avoid - bouncing all over the lane, just pucker up and hope for the best.

The black goop is all gone, just used a soft cotton cloth soaked with car soap and water. The scratches that remain are only visible in certain light for the most part... but it still hurts knowing it's there only 1.5 months into ownership on my first NEW car... very expensive new car at that. I'll take it around when I can and get some opinions. Maybe insurance would cover it? I don't know... the dealer near me is very anal about the paint on this car, and doesn't want to touch it unless I really demand them to since it'd be hard to match.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DON'T do anything take it to a professional body shop that you trust ( you will only make it worse) unless you have proper training and you are a pro.
    It is amazing What they are capable of doing.BAM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

14. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

15. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So I saw today that the fog light which got hit is aiming significantly lower than what it used to be... no longer even with the other one. Any way to adjust/fix this? Should I just ask the dealer to look at it?