Dealer got screwed by overpriced Charger Hellcat :)

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by ppowell1983, Dec 28, 2015.

1. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let me start with a story last year in March. I was car shopping with my mom and I took her to Bettenhausen Dodge in Tinley Park IL, they had a Tor Red Charger Hellcat on the showroom floor for sale. I asked them how much it was and they said that they would sell it for MSRP. I tried to get in touch with my wife to tell her I was taking home the hellcat, but I couldn't. She turned her phone off in Church... (I didn't forgive her for that until I got my PCP Challenger). Anyway I was not about to spend $80,000 including tax without talking to my wife, she hasn't forgiven me the last time I bought a car without talking to her first... I left the dealer and went home, talked to the wife and I had permission to buy it. Called the dealer the next morning at 10am and the car was sold.

I started looking around for a Charger because thats what I thought I wanted at the time, I found a black one at a dealer called Lucky Motors in Villa Park IL. I called them and talked to the sales manager and they had the car listed for $99,xxx. I told them that I would give them MSRP and not a dime more, I told them that i could get one for about 5k over MSRP and they were NUTS for asking that kind of money. I called them again in October going into Winter and offered them the same MSRP for the Charger and they still said the least that they could take is $90,000 because "thats what they have in it, they paid over MSRP to get it". I then directed them to another local dodge dealer that had a white Charger Hellcat on their showroom floor they were asking 10K over MSRP and was told they would take 5K over. I finally got my Challenger Hellcat, I decided 2 doors were better than 4 and I was able to get my kids in the back seat of the Challenger and I absolutely fell in love with the PCP when I saw it. To end this long drawn out story my friend sent me a link to the black Charger that I wanted to buy way back in March and the dealer now has it for $76,000, which is still over MSRP but i think at this point they will take it if they can get it. The floor-plan has to be murder for them.

It makes me happy when a dealer thinks they are going to make a quick buck by gouging people. I am all for making a profit but ADM is nearly false advertising to me. Dodge in all of their commercials state one price, but depending on what franchised dealer you go into its way more...

I thought I would share.

2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Chicago, Illinois | Lucky Motors

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love the brass monkey wheels, and the ruby seats...the car looks great..great color combo....

3. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought the same thing. To my eye that is the best color combo for a Charger, that is why I tried to get these guys to come down from the stratosphere. I probably would have paid 5K over MSRP because I liked the color combo so much.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it wasn't for owning a black 300s before my hellcat,I may of went that route. But after having my challenger for a year,,I wouldn't change a thing....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Really??? More seat time, longer burnouts, better reaction times? These are all regrets I have and I wish I would have bought mine sooner rather than being a stick in the mud and waiting to get one at MSRP without traveling.

• Like Like x 1
  6. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I paid well above MSRP September 30th of this year to get my car. I think it stickered for 64,XXX.
    plus tags, title, tax but I gave 72,000.00 Plus TTT. I should have had my head examined or I
    should have just gone to an out of state dealer that was reasonable. I nearly bought one from
    Nick at Van Dyke Dodge, I think that they are in Michigan. I just hated to buy a car site unseen after knowing that there may be some "issues" with the paint. As it turns out, the car I bought
    local has "issues" with the paint.

Do you guys think that the prices will come down substantially in 2016? I want to say yes but on
    top of the dealers doing their hocus pocus, the base price and the options have gone up ALOT!

Any predictions on prices in the next year?

• Like Like x 1
  7. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Michigan always has cars at msrp,, dealer down the street has a torred hellcat sitting on the show room floor,, with brass monkey wheels...it's beautiful

8. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I thought the prices would come down and for me they did. I called a couple of dealers and I had 2 Challenger Hellcat's to choose from for MSRP. Out of principal I wouldn't pay over MSRP, but everyone can make their own decision and I don't begrudge anybody for paying over MSRP. I think prices will stay at MSRP and dealers will stop playing games on the cars. Some dealers might still try, especially in rural areas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. lghtemup

lghtemup Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have just called greenway in Orlando florida they wanted 10k to 15k over msrp I told them that is why you still have it good luck I will not pay over msrp that is fair and the dealers get their kick back at the end of the month...I guess these dealers want to keep these cars..

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    curious--out of principal, would you sell your house for less than it is worth?

11. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    depends on your metro--several markets are still bringing 20+, others are MSRP.. no different than housing Gents.
    I don't begrudge anyone selling for the most they can get, including all of you when it's time to trade or sell and get the next one.

Happy New years to all!

I drive mine like it's the end of the world..

12. Mike Lannom

Mike Lannom Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The days of asking over MSRP are almost over. You can order a new hellcat now and receive it within a reasonable amount of time. Supply has increased to surpass demand. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. HellScoot

HellScoot Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So being a local guy as well I would never even consider not purchasing direct from a Dodge dealer. I got mine from Napelton Arlington Heights and have helped other members get theirs for MSRP. I am glad I'm the end you got what you wanted. I personally love the challenger and would love a Charger as a second one if I could but too many cars in the garage and bank account can't handle another. I am happy to help anyone else in the area who needs either get their car. But Lucky Motors got what they deserved if they truly overpaid hope they enjoy looking at it on their showroom everyday! :)

14. MkCat

MkCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I went in today to look at PCP Charger asking for 10+ so I thought I'd see what they would give me for mine, they gave me 57 for my car lol. The market value is only for their cars not for your car I guess. I just laughed at them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The principal is that the price is advertised as one thing, but the dealer wants to charge a 30-40% markup because the can? A franchise of a company, say McDonalds, Ace, TrueValue and so on can't just charge prices based on how hard they can "gouge" somebody.

The dealer has the right to do it and I support that right, but I think it's really bad business and I won't pay it.

It doesn't mean that if somebody did or does pay ADM, it doesn't mean they are stupid or any other name I have seen them called. It just means that i personally don't agree with it therefore I won't support a dealer that did it.

• Like Like x 1