Dealer had allocation then it was gone now wants a deposit to lock in the next available

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by carcass, Oct 14, 2015.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was working with a Dodge dealer in Missouri who said they would sell at MSRP and that they had an open allocation. This was yesterday.
    Then today when going to put the deposit down over the phone and go through the order process. The dealer started taking my options, but then said the allocation was gone! totally bummed now.
    But the dealer wants me to put down a $1000 deposit to lock in the next available allocation through them! Doesn't seem like as good of an option to me. so I'm going to pass for now.
    what do you think?

2. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pass. Create an excel spreadsheet of dealers. Start calling closest to furthest from your location on google maps. Notate if each dealership sells at MSRP and when their next allocation is, in addition to the contact's name. You'll find a dealership that has allocation at MSRP OR wait until the next release of allocations (usually the 9th or 10th of the month) and call around to dealers that stated that they will have upcoming allocation and sell at MSRP.

You need to strike while the iron is hot in this game.Your mistake was waiting a day to get back in touch with the dealer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree,
    Going to do some more homework.

4. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a few offers like that. "Give us X-amount of $$ and you get the next allocation". The only problem is the allocation system is so screwed up your money could be tied up for months. I agree - pass.

5. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have written this a few times in different threads so sorry if you read it already.

I started with "find a dealer" on the dodge web site. I put in my zip code and then just started going down the list sending emails. If they would not answer direct questions or their only response was to have you come in and talk to them, their email went in the trash. I had a couple offer to put me on a waiting list for a deposit, they went into the trash also.

I did get one dealer with allocation that was selling at MSRP to write me back. I don't have a problem putting down a deposit to secure the order. I actually like the idea of getting the dealer into a contract so he can't back out. I would not provide any deposit before I saw a valid Vehicle Order Number.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the next guy will plunk down a deposit.. maybe they are tired of all the buyers who had orders in all over the place and going with the quickest build

7. TinCuda

TinCuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not like last year (2015). This year, you can't get a VON (Vehicle Order Number) unless it is going to be built. I know you know this FreightTrain, this is for the OP.

The VON is issued immediately at the time of order. My dealer ordered it in front of me and then printed me a copy of the POC (Priced Order Confirmation).

If the dealer can not give you a POC with a valid VON, I would not give them a dime. If they can give you one, I would have no problem giving them a deposit to secure the order to your name. FYI, not to be confused with the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). The VIN will be issued about a month (give or take) before the car is built.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Back in the day my dealer claimed to have an allocation and wanted $5,000.00 down. He told me if he could not get the car in a set amount of time I would get a refund but otherwise it was not refundable. the car was ordered to my specs. It all turned out well.

The bottom line is I have made purchases from the dealer before and I trusted them. If you have no history with a dealer you have to find a way to really check them out. So you have to do homework on the dealership and locate one with an allocation. Unless you find your dream car on the lot.

9. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    lol no, its news to me, i like it !!

10. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Frankly, without putting down a deposit, you cannot be considered to be a serious buyer. Were I the Dealer, I would not waste a lot of time without one. There are simply too many people who are all talk and no money.

I add: befor giving any Dealer money, you want, in writing, that your deposit applies to an allocation that the Dealership has confirmed. You do not want to tie up your money on a promised ghost.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  11. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    a dealer is under no obligation to deliver a car even with a VON--get one on the ground and forget the wait--go to www.carsgurus.com

12. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree,
    I was prepared with my deposit and to purchase the car outright if he had an allocation.
    The dealer told me he did, then said he didn't during my option choosing. He then ansked for a deposit on an allocation he does not have.

13. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The dealer told me he had an allocation at msrp and that it was mine for the ordering of the color and interior and stuff of my choosing. We agreed to get together via the phone with him on his computer to put in the order. During the process of doing this he said "oh no, looks like someone else got my allocation that's too bad, but hey I can take your money till I do have an allocation and guarantee you get it"
    that's the deposit I'm having a hard time with.
    I'm a serious buyer

14. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yea screw them.. doesnt sound too honest... poof its gone?... umm no

15. ReoTom

ReoTom Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    :eek::eek:Yea.. when I ordered my 2015 Sept. 27th 2014 I was fortunate. I put down no deposit but of course I waited and took delivery of mine Sept. 11th.... last month. Basically waited 12 months. First it was the Satin Hood hold, then it was the A8 shortage.. watched grass grow.. but boy is it worth it.. can't peel that smile off my face when I come back from a ride! BooYaahh!