Dealer service - valet mode?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 16SRT, Apr 3, 2016.

1. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I've seen a few mentions on this forum of putting the car in valet mode for dealer service. What's the general thinking here? Sure, you might prevent someone from driving the car hard, but you may also put a bad taste in the mouth of the person you're asking to work on your car.

Was planning to drop car off, grab a loaner, and have car serviced while I'm at work.

2. Hell Catmandu

Hell Catmandu Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Valet mode is standard protocol when your Hellcat is out of your hands. There is no need to let the service tech have unlimited access to your Hellcat unless you are having issues with acceleration. Most on here would agree. I have heard stories of high performance vehicles totaled by service techs. I'm sure member here will share their service stories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the service is just on oil change then there no reason for the car to be driven more then what twice the length of the shop building so 300 feet no more. I think if your car has more then a quarter of a mile on it for an oil change then something's wrong.

4. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took my cat for it's first oil change at the dealer last week (not the dealer I bought it from). I reset the trip mileage and top speed reading and put the car in valet mode because I didn't know how it would be treated. I also put a small digital audio recorder in the car. Sat it in the cup holder in the center console. Didn't hide it at all. Wow did I hear some interesting things. Let me first say that the guy who worked on the car was very cool about how he handled the car. I could hear when he pulled it into the bay and everyone else got to see it for the first time. Turns out this dealer has not had a Hellcat in for service before. I was their first (I hate when that happens). Yes it's a large dealer that sells a lot of Jeeps and other Dodges. Evey other tech in the shop came running over to the car, commenting on the color (plum crazy), looking over the interior, and they kept asking the guy driving to "rev it up", "let's hear it". Well the tech did give the car a mild rev or two. Nothing more than what I have done (I've done much louder and longer). You could hear one of the other techs saying something about "really get on it" (hard to tell), but you can clearly hear the driver saying "no, I'm not getting in trouble for doing that". He shut the car off and you could hear someone in the background say something like "it's just another car, let's get back to work". All you could hear after that was people working on cars. It's a big shop. Oil change and tire rotation was done well. They never took the car over 11 miles per hour, never took it out for a ride, treated the car nicely. The only problem I did have was the debate with the service writer on how much oil the car took. He tried for 5 minutes to tell me the car took 8 quarts of special high price oil and the oil change would cost a lot of money. He then confirmed it on his computer that it took less oil and 0w40 is printed on the filler cap and admitted it was their first Hellcat oil change. All was well. I should also say that they had 1 Hellcat Challenger in the showroom with a rope around it and 2 more parked in the back garage for sale, all with a firm $15,000 markup ("Why the markup? It's a rare car. Why do you have 3 sitting here for sale if it's so rare? Ummmm...").

Would I put the car in valet mode again when taking it in for service, YOU BET I WILL. If I'm not driving it, valet mode every time. Yes the techs all know you can reset valet mode by disconnecting the battery and they can reset the top speed indicator after the joyride. I'm still setting it in valet mode. Let them explain why it they turned it off for an oil change. Will I put the recorder in the car again? Oh hell yes. Interesting things you hear in a shop like that.

5. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i trust my tech. he is the only one that drives my car other than myself. no porters, no valets. i hand him the red key and he parks it and drives it where needed. i trust him at the track. to hand him the black key in valet mode would be an insult in my opinion. that is just me though. situations and circumstances will vary ;)

p.s. funny story, a porter reached out for my red key one time and i said "uhhh no, no offense buddy but nobody drives this car"
    another valet sat in my car and i said "excuse me sir, do me a favor and step out of the vehicle" lol i am sure both people did not like me and may have thought i was a jerk, but i am not playing when it comes to my cat...

• Like Like x 3
  6. altitudejunkie

altitudejunkie Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just gave them the black key when I took it in. They are able to take it out of valet mode with their computer. The one time they had to test drive it the service manager went as well. Don't get me wrong they always joke about me giving them the red key.

7. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Are you certain of that? Also, they'd then have some explaining to do, as to why it's not in valet mode when returned.

8. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They cannot take it out of valet mode via programming. I've had the dealer ask me for the PIN for valet cause they weren't able to replicate the sound and thought it was the valet mode preventing it. The only way they can disable valet mode is to pull the battery cables.

To the thread's question though on valet when you drop it off.

If it's an issue related to HP or acceleration, i'll leave the corresponding key (red or black)
    If it's not related to HP or acceleration at all, black key in valet mode.
    If I'm not sure of the issue, black key in valet mode. If they need the PIN they can ask.

Example case that I'm with right now.

Brought car in due to squeaking exhaust valves. Dropped car off in Valet mode with black key. They called me saying they couldn't replicate the sound and if they could get the PIN. I said no, i verified myself that it can happen in valet mode and it turned out they didn't take it for a test drive and only let it sit there idle hoping the valves would squeak.

In around 7-8 hours (East coast) I'm dropping the car off for the cat-back replacement, black key in valet mode.

Also note, I have a dashcam which helped me prove the dealership didn't take the car for a test drive after they said they did.

Honestly, the best security out of anything is a dashcam. If you have to leave your car outside valet mode the dashcam will catch any misuse. If they unplug the dashcam the reputation of the dealer will suffer. If you catch something on it (Them going crazy in your car), you get a viral video and a good deal out of the management of the dealership.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think we all have our ideas about having our cars worked on. I change my oil(except for the last time), and rotate the tires myself. I was, in my opinion, lucky to find the tech that I use. The dealership is over 300 miles away(and I didn't buy the car there). I have complete trust in this individual. I give him the red key and no valet set. I think if I gave him the black key and valet on, he would be insulted, and I would have to look elsewhere. Only one of my brothers has driven the car.:D

• Like Like x 2
  10. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you are better off getting to know the people at the dealer ship and build a trusting relationship with them. If you don't trust the people at one dealer (for whatever reason) try another.

All I ask is that people treat my stuff with the same respect I do and if there is a mishap of some sort let me know.

When I drop off my car I leave the red key and I've never had an issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dropped my car off in valet mode with a black key. Happy since apparently it's going to take them more then one day to change the cat-back exhaust (Warranty work)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have dropped the car off twice, for tinting and for graphics, at two different shops.

I told both of them up front I was leaving it in Valet mode with the black key.

Both times, the shop guys stated "I would do the same thing if that was my car".

So, no, it will not hurt any honest Tech's feelings, but it may ruffle the feathers of someone who was planning on "sampling the power" of the Hellcat. lol

• Agree Agree x 1