Dealers are funny

Discussion in 'Dodge Demon Owners, Pricing and Orders' started by LaserDoc, Apr 20, 2017.

1. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From what I am hearing from dealerships, I am guessing everyone seeking to get on a list is hearing similar stories. I called a dealership in a very small area (less than 100k population) and they claim to have 17 people on their list that have already paid 2500 each. Of course I declined to pay 2500 to be #18...lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also been told by more than one dealership that they are ordering a car to list on EBay. They have no plans to put people on a list. When I asked about the dash plates. One guys said, "not worried about that at all. People will pay for the car if they really want one". Another said a buddy of dealer was going to order the car and turn around and eBay it.

3. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Lubbock Texas dealership promised their Demon to a salvage yard owner that they do business with. Salesman said they sold him 3 Hellcats that he resold at auctions.

4. SPARTAN_FAN

SPARTAN_FAN Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Cleveland Power and Performance will probably have several after lauch as well.. lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The salvage yard they are talking about was buying NEW Hellcats and running them through the bigger auctions. He bought 3 from the Lubbock dealer and 2 more from another area dealership. At the time he was getting them I think he was paying 10k over and then flipping them for 15k-20k over. When I first started looking for a Hellcat a dealer said they sold their car to the salvage yard guy and told me that he would sell it...for over sticker. Of course I never considered calling him. Basically just confirmed that the dealers were somehow working with the guy to sell a car for more than sticker without having to say "we charge ADM".

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf Silver Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agree. Dodge isn't done whatsoever with the tech, the horsepower, or dominating the Muscle Car market, nor forcing its competitors to keep up or slide to the back of the pack ... To Dodge/SRT, it's all about the market demand for HP, not the next Model Year, especially with an auto-industry friendly administration in place for the next four years.

Pro-domestic markets, pro-growth, pro-energy production, and anti-regulatory.

That gives Dodge both time and a reason to show us their next act, and the next, and then the next.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting bunch of posts. This is not an anti-dealer post, but the opposite!

I had lunch with a dealer Owner this week. We discussed what he was told by levels higher what would give US a leg up so he could get an advantage for an allocation. Price? We discussed his guess for MSRP. No deposit now, no adm. When we can; similar to when we got the impossible 2015 Hellcat he will take far less than $1000 in a deposit formality, and place a legit order if I want one. I have seen a few other members must have the same great relationship with a dealer or two also.

There are honest and cooperative dealers in the network that want to help. I can tell you a group in Chicago made the decision in 2015 to give him my Hellcat allocation, but together we did everything correct in the process. We shall see what happens. Good points above, there is 2019. Say there is no 2019 Demon, then will there be a 2019 Hellcat or Hellcat widebody with some Demon features? Sure, why not? Personally, I am going to relax, the 2019 idea may be the best for a better and more potent vehicle than the one I have now. Until then, it is a rare beautiful cool day here and that little Hellcat has been sitting in the garage waiting and will be a blast to drive! Compared to everyone else on the planet, we are all very lucky and I for one am in no position to complain.

• Like Like x 3
  8. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

This September, marks my 30th year in the car business. Prior to college, I worked in sales, management and as a consultant for customer service training, as well as communication and sales psychology. My practice is my first priority, however, I remain active with consulting and helping with new and used vehicle acquisitions, when time permits. My main focus with consulting, is a referral-based approach, that puts the emphasis on customer service, not gimmicks and excessive advertising. Which essentially means that you go above and beyond in the short term and it pays you dividends, medium and long term; seems simple, right?

Specific to the ADM's (Additional Dealer Markup) whether it's a Hellcat, Demon or even a Ford Raptor, they are detrimental to the dealer, in a significant way. With the subject of ADM's, some people will defend it, as a luxury of capitalism. In the very short term, it does boost the bottom line. However, there are a very limited amount of these of vehicles to sell, relative to general car sales and this is where it hurts the dealer. Eventually, just as in the case of the Hellcat launch, some people will pay an ADM. I don't have any problem with that......zero. Here's what happens, however, on the dealer's end. The 10 people that won't pay an ADM, get pissed off and go out of the area to make a purchase. The local dealer that could of sold the Hellcat at MSRP, to a local resident, now picks up a ADM buyer from out of the area. Sure, they banked the coin, but that buyer will never return and the dealer will never see a dime of revenue from parts or service; whats even more damaging, is the fact that the dealer will not see any referral business from that buyer. No one is going to travel several states for basic car/truck purchase, when it's available locally.

Referral business is critical to most operations. Somehow, this is lost on many dealerships. Let's take my local Dodge dealer who wants to play games and pisses me off. Everyone that knows me, knows I'm a car nut. People ask me all the time how the racing is going, or my favorite, " Have you heard about the Dodge Demon?" lol
    Here's what happens next: Yes, actually I'm buying a Demon. So, the next question is always pertains to where I made the purchase. I tell them that I had to go the whole way to Indiana because Keller Bros Dodge, my local dealer, was acting like a bunch of ass clowns. So, I wouldn't recommend Keller Bros Dodge. This conversation takes place, dozens of times. If I see 150 patients during the week, how many hear this story? It all depends on how pissed off I get. Not only did they lose my sale, they lost many others, after I make my thoughts known. My patients and the general population for the most part, are not buying Demons and Hellcats, however, they are purchasing other new and used vehicles, which make up the majority of all the sales, anyway.

Can you see the exponential effect that takes place with all of the dealer stupidity and animosity that they create? This precisely why you hear all of the insane and constant advertising from dealers.

The moral of the story is to treat your local people right, because the extra 10k you make on an ADM, will cost you an exponential multiple of that amount.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GdBye

GdBye Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    EXACTLY... They will call it the SCREAMIN DEMON with 909 HP (940 with Rocket Fuel LOL)!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ArchGE

ArchGE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Can't wait to see what the first Demon goes for at Barrett-Jackson. VIN-1 Hellcat went for $825K

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When it goes to a charity, that's awesome!

12. ArchGE

ArchGE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Was that a charity car? OK, makes more sense then.

13. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes

14. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Over a million.

15. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did Dodge officially announce that the first Demon will go to Barrett?