Demon Performance Brake System

Discussion in 'Demon Performance' started by DemonSkip, May 24, 2016.

1. DemonSkip

DemonSkip Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys, just wanted to show off some goodies we have in the works for the HC community! We've introduced this brake system into the WK2 Jeep SRT8 market recently and currently have the HC brakes in production for you guys. We're hoping to have these ready to ship towards the end of June if all goes as planned :)

The Demon Performance HellCat brake system is a direct replacement for the OE disc. No modifications are necessary. The disc will bolt directly to the car and work with OE calipers perfectly. By upgrading your brakes with lightweight high performance replacements as opposed to a big brake kit, your factory bias is maintained as well as your ABS efficiency. The front rotors are 24.4 lbs vs. 31 lbs for the stock HC 2 piece units. The rear rotors are 18.9 lbs vs. 24 lbs for the stock units. This reduction in rotational and unsprung weight allows for quicker acceleration and suspension response.

The central hat section of our rotor is made from strictly U.S. sourced 6061-T6 aircraft specification aluminum. The disc is made from our own proprietary cast iron, poured in the USA and machined from start to finish for us specifically. The rotor utilizes a curved vane design, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes 12 high strength alloy steel drive pins, manufactured in the USA to our own specifications and cadmium plated for a long lasting corrosion resistance. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers. In order to keep the rotors from making noise when cold, the pins are mounted with anti-noise spring washers on the rotor side which allow the rotor to grow with heat expansion but eliminate the rattle and noise associated with floating rotors. This float also allows the rotor to self-center between the pads.

Once the Demon Performance brake system is in place, simply replace the rotor rings when needed.

$1399 for the Front Set
    $720 for replacement rotor rings/hardware

$1049 for the Rear Set
    $540 for replacement rotor rings/hardware

HellCat Rotors.jpg

20160809_155627.jpg 20160809_155216.jpg

$292 for S/S Racing Pads - Front
    $162 for S/S Racing Pads - Rear

Brand new intermediate pad called the S/S pads for street/strip. These pads feature a hotter compound than our standard Street pads and are capable of maintaining braking efficiency up to 1000 degrees. Inevitably these will dust a little more than our Street pads and can make a little noise from time to time however with our anti noise backing plates which all pads will come with we have heard very little to no noise from these pads.

Comparatively the S/S pads perform very similarly to the Ferodo DS2500's, a pad which we have had very good luck with in the past.

$225 for Street Pads - Front
    $135 for Street Pads - Rear

Street Pads are the solution to your squeaky, dusty, expensive factory pads. They have less dust than typical factory pads and much less than typical performance pads. You won't be cleaning your wheels nearly as often. Additionally, they have great initial bite, something most less expensive pads are lacking. But the real reason people like our pads so much is they are the "silver bullet" to brake noise problems. Street pads are a semi-metallic composition that is easy on the rotors and the wallet. We recommend always replacing pads as a whole car set when switching compounds. All street pads come with our anti-noise shields pre-installed, included in the price. When comparison shopping, be sure to notice the quality of our components. Any questions, give us a call, we're happy to help!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When someone tests them out, Please post up your results !

The Truth is Told at The Track!!
    Linda :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here's a great spiff for anyone looking for a set of these in the near future!

If you pre-order a full brake package; front rotors, rear rotors, and pads. We'll give you a 15% discount off your order! That's over $400 in savings!

Give us a shout and we'll get you setup with the best high performance replacement brakes in the industry for your HC!

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    those look nice!
    I tried to look up your website with no luck, whats your website name? I found you on facebook.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Carcass, thanks!

We're working on a new platform for our web-store. It's a looong process to say the least with our current shop/manufacturing workload but we're slowly plugging away at it. If there's anything you ever need, just shoot us a call, message here, fb message, etc and we'll be glad to set you up. We carry all the major manufacturers out there with competitive pricing. If we don't, we'll pick them up for you!

6. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you split up the weight savings to tell us how much of it is in the hat vs the rotor?

What testing have you done on the Hellcat vehicles to compare resistance to rotor warpage in heavy track usage?

7. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    TrackDay, I'll break up stock HC unit and a Jeep SRT8 WK2 unit apart shortly and show you guys the weight difference the individual pieces. The Jeep SRT8 utilizes the same size 380MM rotor ring so the weight for our HC 2 piece units will be the same, if not lighter, than we've advertised.

We have not done any testing on the HC application just yet. The manufacturer of these rotors, Girodisc, has tested this style rotor on multiple street/race applications however. The rotors are the same style rotor rings used in all of their high performance brake systems; Audi, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes, McLaren, Nissan, Porsche, etc.

A couple things to note about these brakes:

We recommend running slotted discs for high performance applications. The rapid heating and cooling cycles will cause cracking on the friction surface of a drilled disc. The use of high friction or racing pads will exaggerate this condition. Most pad manufacturers specifically recommend that their race pads not be used on a drilled disc for this reason.

For maximum airflow and superior cooling, this brake system uses curved vanes. For a curved vane internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Your discs will come with labels indicating their correct placement on the vehicle. Orienting the disc in this manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc’s ability to dissipate heat.

[​IMG]

Another cool thing about these rotors is that the slots also act as a rotor wear bar. Once the slot is worn down, your rotor is at the minimum thickness and should be replaced.

8. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Here you go ladies and gents. Weights of everything broken apart.

Surprisingly, the rotor hats weighed the same once I removed the hardware retainers form the OEM hat.

Demon Rotor Hat

20160601_111733.jpg

Demon Hat Hardware (didn't register weight, I'll see if I can measure on a postage scale some other time, apx .2lbs however)
    20160601_113057.jpg

Demon Rotor Ring - 380mm shown, 390mm ring weighs 21.5lbs

20160601_111526.jpg

Stock HC Rotor Hat

20160601_112902.jpg

Stock HC Hat Hardware

20160601_112931.jpg

Stock HC Rotor Ring

20160601_113208.jpg

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  9. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Our rotor sings are also directional curved vane design per side over the the OEM pillar post design, helping with cooling tremendously.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  10. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice setup.

While your setup seems to have better cooling do you think they might me more prone to warping due to the heavy weight of the car? The OE units seem to have more cast iron in the picture... More unsprung weight but I'm thinking they may be less prone to warping too.

I'm not knocking your product in any way (looks great)... Just an honest question as these cars are HEAVY!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i cant see photos linked to photobucket. can you upload them instead? my company blocks photobucket type sites

12. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The more input the better!

I understand your concerns when it comes to the weight factor compared to a lighter race car type application. We've been testing these on some heavier vehicles however and have yet to run into warp issues due to weight or heat. You have to keep in mind, we introduced these for the 2012-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 before putting the HC system into motion. The 2012-15 Jeep GCSRT8's come in at 5150 without any add ons. We have one that goes down the track with these rotors weighing in at a whopping 5525 with me behind the wheel. 2012, ProLine built forged 392, Demon F1 kit, me @ ~170lbs, 22" wheels, full interior and all. Zero issues so far :)

We're also wrapping up a built/turbo powered 2015 Jeep SRT8 that's heading to Europe soon. He'll be racing around the Nurburgring with our full front/rear Demon brake package regularly. Full weight to boot!

Rotor warp is a weird subject. A lot of people think that it's due to heat. Sure, the heat WILL amplify or hurt what the rotor is doing over time but 99% of the time a "warped" rotor is due to improper installation, improper manufacturer rotor run out (which is rare) and/or bad bedding of a brake pad with improper installation. Or a combination of all of the above.

For instance, that same rotor ring you see broken down in the above pictures has an exact run out of 0.0006. OEM spec's are .002. IF you were to install this rotor and there was some trash on one side of the hub before installation, you've installed it as out of round to the mount. You've basically set yourself up to "warp" your rotor over time because it's not going to be installed true and straight. That imbalance of rotation with the piece of trash between the rub and rotor hat going to cause a wobble on the brand new unit. Once installed you guys will/should always go out and bed in the new pads. Doing so on a rotor that is mounted out of round is going to give you high and low spots when bedding, causing the "warp" factor. If it's not addressed right away, it will only get worse on the wobble and the parts.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone with that bit of info.

13. BlackbirdWS6

BlackbirdWS6 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a nice product but I would like to see some on road/track results after some use. I'm sure many folks won't be tracking their cars hard but will appreciate the diligence has been performed to make certain these will hold up at least to OEM level.

Also, are my eyes messing with me or is the hat a bit taller for your product versus OEM?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you offer any cryo treating for the rotor rings?

• Like Like x 1
  15. DemonSkip

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Uploaded directly and not via photobucket. Hopefully you can see them now!

We'll definitely report back with some hard data once the test units go on. We're not looking to hold up to OEM level, the whole point of making these was to excel beyond othat of OEM levels. Plus it doesn't hurt that our fronts cost less than the dealer charges for a pair of your stock front units :p

Your eyes aren't messing with you. I broke down one of our WK2 Jeep SRT8 2 piece rotors that we have in stock to compare the weight differences. The hat design/shape is slightly different than that of the HC cars with the addition of the bolt pattern differences but the weight of the hat is the same. The rotor rings and hardware however will be identical as they both utilize the same 380mm rotor.

We're awaiting the arrival of the HC inventory so we can go out and test :)

We can definitely accommodate this for you. I'll have to check and see what the pricing will run on that but I can't imagine it'll be more than 50 per corner if not cheaper.

• Like Like x 1