Diablosport PCM Change/ Trinity 93 Octane Tune

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BKuz, Oct 28, 2015.

1. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have been thinking about the Diablosport PCM change out with the 93 Octane Trinity Tune. I am looking for opinions if it is worth the money and risk of voiding warranty? I think there was only a 40 hp gain. Please share your thoughts. Thank you.

BKuz

2. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BK, you should see a 60-80 hp gain if tuned right, what's your intended use for the added HP?
    TC

3. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am going to probably end up using Diablo for a couple reasons. One I have used them before with no problems. 2 I already have a Trinity from my previous use with them so all I need to pay to do is the $200 send in PCM program to be able to tune. But that only gets their "canned" tunes. Which are great every day tunes and will work for most people.

But with what Top Cat said there is probably more left in the car from a tune. Diablo plays it very very safe usually. You can use Diablo to get more out a of a custom tune though later down the road. For example if you ever install a pulley.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Top Cat,

Is there any warranty concerns? I know I will have to put my stock PCM back in if I get service from Dodge.

I would like the extra hp for bragging rights and also to take the car to the track.

BKuz

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rocky_Rhode

Rocky_Rhode Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any modification, aftermarket bolt-on, or changes over factory settings you perform will risk voiding the warranty, and you should consider this with eyes wide open. Should you forget to replace your "stock" PCM prior to delivering it to the dealer for maintenance, it could void it. If you run a custom tune that damages your engine, you risk voiding it... Simple rule of thumb is to never modify, or change anything that you are not willing to accept full accountability for in the event that something goes wrong. So rather than ask others what "their" thoughts are, ask yourself if "you" are open to the possible financial consequences for "your" actions, by modifying the factory install.

Adding an aftermarket PCM with a custom tune has a "chance" of damaging your car; only "you" can say if that "risk" is acceptable.

Personally I will be getting a Diablo/Trinity with the unlocked PCM; I understand the risk, and am fully willing to be accountable should anything go wrong.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    BK
    As mentioned above I would agree, if going that route I would make sure you have a tuner experienced with the Hellcat, AJ/Hemituner &Josh @HHP, I can vouch for, there maybe some others but I can't recommend since I have no experience with them.
    TC

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    do you guys think the tuners can some how piggy back the ecu just to keep alive the info side.. ie miles,hours,ect ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. HellScoot

HellScoot Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will be curious to know if someone goes with the Diablo and replaces the PCM how that works out. I have my other car tuned but it is from Dinan and is based on the mods I made and this one keeps the BMW warranty in tact. I am sure a "generic" tune if all is stock will help but would need to be changed based on other mods you would make. I am sure there will be others with hand held tuners that can load different tunes based on mods done. No matter what you must be able to put it back to stock if you bring it in for warranty work and have not already done something else that would void your warranty. Be smart about it and you should be ok.

9. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wouldn't the OBD II be able to tell the PCM was removed and replaced?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Rocky_Rhode

Rocky_Rhode Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My understanding of the 2015 PCM swap is as follows; Diablo sends you an unlocked PCM that contains a couple of generic tunes.

You remove your factory PCM and store it. ((you will need this later)) Once installed, the new PCM will backup the factory settings before it flashes the generic tunes. Several days BEFORE you take your car in for any service you need to swap the factory PCM back and you need to drive it to allow the data collection. While I have not done this with my 2015, I have done similar with other vehicles and it was recommended that I drive approx. 100-miles before taking to the dealer so that sufficient history was stored.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Cglhawk260

Cglhawk260 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How does the switching back -and- forth from one unlocked PCM to the factory locked PCM affect the odometter reading? If the accuracy of the odometer is no longer in sync can this affect the resale value of the car?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    bump

13. moparbrad

moparbrad Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IT DOESN'T, THE MILEAGE IS STORED IN THE CLUSTER

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. moparbrad

moparbrad Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sorry for the caps lock, flipping back in forth from screens

15. superbeegugs

superbeegugs Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the Diablo Trinity and used the 93 octane tune in my 2012 Superbee. I really didn't notice anydifference before and after. Before I traded it in, I simply replaced the tune with the factory tune.

I'd really like to see un-biased times for a Hellcat before and after the tune. I really don't trust Diablo - poor customer service and I think the tune is a scam.

Someone prove me wrong with hard numbers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1