Did anyone purchase or order without Navigation

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by SRT_HC_707, Mar 20, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm just curious if anyone has intentionally purchased or ordered without navigation.

I prefer Google navigation on my phone. I find it to be the most up-to-date, best routing, live traffic and of course it's integrated with my phone. With that said, I ordered (and ended up purchasing another car) with navigation. Seems odd to me to buy such an expensive car without it.

Did you decide not to get navigation and why?

It's my understanding that the dealer can generate and enter a license code for a fee to enable Navigation afterword. That is excellent. Does anyone know what this costs? I'm wondering if it is same, cheaper or more expensive than the 695 sticker price for navigation.

Finally, how long does FCA include map updates on factory nav before charging some absurd price to get the updates?

Thanks

2. Smog Dog

Smog Dog Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered our Charger without the Nav.....just don't need it. And from what I have heard, you are correct that the dealer can add it later.

3. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've found that Google maps on my android phone will give the turn-by-turn voice directions over bluetooth to the audio system.. So if you don't need Nav but then decide you need it for a trip or something you should be in good shape if you have a smartphone.

Like I said, I never liked ANY factory nav (and I've had lots of them) but I sort of feel I need to order it (don't know why).

4. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dealer cost on update is like 600 plus labor I just had the car built with it the 100 bucks not worth it

5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wasn't asking to see if you can save money. I was just curious what it costs to add later. Good for somebody to know if they find an available car without nav but really want nav..... Nice to have the option.. Plus if dealer cost is 600 I gotta think it's at least 700 to the purchaser (not sure how much time is involved but I would think less than an hour) so no savings there anyway.

Thanks for the info. DB

6. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    couple years ago Nav was over 1000 on most cars, now the price came down so its a no brainer.
    The newer systems work better. Problem with the phones is the screen size. I like the larger screen in the car. you can always still use your phone if you like it better.

7. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can add it later like my friend did sitting at home for some $500 plus tax. Spare yourself the trip to the dealer and unnecessarily incur additional expenses. However it does not have the enhanced 3d graphics/ terrain simulation/5 yr free live traffic and updates/ 5 yr free weather and sports updates.

Edit: there is no HD radio either on non nav models(8.4A)

The factory optioned nav for $695, imho is a steal! The model without the nav is known as 8.4A (where nav could be later enabled)....and the factory installed nav model is known as 8.4AN.

The good news is, at least there is a way to add nav through a simple code input/activation. Some car manufactures/radio companies dont even allow that in case you ordered your car minus the NAV.

To all those looking at enabling nav on their 8.4A models, Go to this link and activate your nav sitting in the comfort of your living room.

http://www.driveuconnect.com/pdf/RA3_Online_Activation_Instructions.pdf

You are welcome....:D:D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I ordered my 'cat it was included for free, so of course I took it. Just one of the many ordering glitches I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I didn't order Nav. I rarely use it in my other car....I pretty much know where I am going....smart phone GPS works good enough....If I really need a Nav, I can buy a Garmin or similar for $150.....HD radio doesn't appeal to me as most of my tunes are iTunes/mp3....resale value isn't important at this point....decided to save $695+tax...I know how to read/use a map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info. I was thinking it was the exact same model but you pointed out a bunch of differences.

I'll use mine because it is there but I do prefer Google maps. Screen size for nav doesn't matter much to me.

Thanks again for educating me on this.

11. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you tried buying a map lately? Seriously, they are getting scarce! It's crazy. I miss good old paper maps at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Remember the Thomas guide map books...are they still in business? Hopefully AAA will keep maps on hand for us older folks.

13. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a nice luxury convenience to add but if I had to I could do without

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No nav. Reason one, like stated above, my phone has free nav. Also I'm not paying for updates or wanting to look at dated technology in 5 years. If they want to add this crap, it should be able to update for free from the SD slot. It shouldn't be constant money stream for them.

I also have an iPad with wireless and if I wanted to take a trip and I wanted a large screen, I could pay about $25 for a single month and have the latest google maps or whatever.

Also my Bee has no nav. Just a regular radio.

There are plenty of good apps for your phone. Check out motion-X GPS or motion-x GPS Drive. The first being a cool trip computer with mapping. Like $4.99

15. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've found it can be hard to sell a used car these days without the nav, last car I sold a lot of ppl passed because it didn't have nav. Personally, I don't really use it much & I typically GOOGLE any new place I'm going anyway - just as easy to print a map & directions IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1