Did I just make a HUGE mistake??? M6 owners please respond

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Roddo, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Roddo

Roddo Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    New to forum but no to mopars. Just sold a 97 blue and white gts to buy a hellcat. Currently own a rottisserie restored 68 Coronet R/T 440, 4spd, Dana 60 and 70 Charger R/T currently on rottisserie ready for paint. Charger is an original EV2 and go wing car. I just signed the papers on a 2016 PCP Hellcat 6 speed. I got it for msrp and what i financed is at 2.34%. I was beyond excited until I started reading certain threads like Hellcat is a problem child or how the 6 speed is so inferior it will blow the clutch on your first burnout. The 6 speed bashing makes me sick to my stomach thinking I made a HUGE mistake! I loved manuals for the power they put down to the rear wheels with a minimum of drivetrain loss. Seems on the hellcat that the clutches make them lose power. I do not go to the drag strip and if I do it would probably be only a couple times. What I do like or thought the 6 speed would be good for is the incredible pulls at highway speeds or believe it or not I do like the feeling of being able to smoke the rear tires at 75mph when passing someone on the highway. My question is the 6 speed trans that much inferior to the automatic that the automatic does everything better and pulls harder at rolls from 30mph, 40mph, 50mph etc.. I know the quarter mile the a8 all day but what about highway pulls or the seat of your pants feeling during rolling pulls? My question is does the a8 pull harder everywher including on higway and rolling runs? I want a real review of how the six speed is .compared to the auto while doing speeds above 30mph. I did go for a ride in a8 sublime HC and yes it was a beast. I just hope I am blown away by the seat of the pants feeling of power in the 6spd. Am I going to regret it after riding in the a8 HC and feeling how hard it pulls? Like I said the constant bashing of the 6spd is really making me try to get out of the agreement. Papers where signed Friday and I have not picked up car yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will enjoy what you purchased. Excellent upgraded clutches are available. The A8 is, in some estimations, the best of both worlds. You can use it like a stick, with full manual control, or putter around in auto. Some of us had to get the auto, but it is far more brutal shifting than my 440-6 4-spd Challenger ever was. And that eats clutches too....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only people bashing the 6 speed are the ones that don't know how to drive a manual transmission car correctly.

I've owned both a M6 and an A8 Hellcat. My advice.... unless you are heading out to the track every weekend, be glad you bought the M6... it IS the better car... and that is coming from somebody who owns an A8.

• Agree Agree x 19
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 6
  4. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love my M6. 3k miles and no clutch issues. Lots of smoky burnouts. Given rides to dozens of my friends that always involves going from 20 to 140 as fast as possible, occasionally banging off of the redline. You'll be fine. If you are going to launch the 4400 pound beast with drag radials at the track, you MAY see an issue. StellasHC has ran 10.62 with his clutch still intact. You'll enjoy the car.

edited to add, The pulling force while in gear should be close to the same. When drag racing, one can't shift the manual a quickly as the automatic does. Hence the lower ET's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2mopars

2mopars Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will enjoy the manual. Nothing boring about rippin through the gears all on you own. So what if the auto is quicker etc etc. If you like rowing your own boat, enjoy the 6 speed...I do

• Like Like x 3
  6. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

My 10.62 was done with an A8.. the clutch in my M6 car frowned upon the use of Slicks at the track... and that was the reason for the switch to the A8

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't read or believe all the doom and gloom threads...

I think you'll have a blast with the M6. It is a tank compared to the gen 2 Viper, but a lot more fun to drive on the street.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you want a 1/4 mile car, don't think the M6 is it, if you want a fun car you can be one with, the 6 spd is it
    I have 4000 miles on mine, have smelled clutch a few times, but no issues.
    I did just buy a Bad Boyzz clutch, but that is because i am going to be upgrading the HP, and didn't want to chance it.
    You bought it, so enjoy it, It's all good

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We do not race our M6 but love the shifting of the gears. I am definitely old school muscle car to me is clutch, shift. Like others have said it comes down to your own preferences.
    Hellcat's are awesome no matter which you choose.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    12,000 (S)miles with my M6 and loving every one.. no issues so far

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  11. My71Gs

My71Gs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    4500 miles I love my m6! I've driven both the a8 is a great trans but it was not as much fun as the m6. You will be happy trust me I've never had as much fun as I have with this car it's a blast to drive and rowing the gears makes it that much more fun.

• Like Like x 2
  12. My71Gs

My71Gs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ps I got pulled over 6 times in the first month I owned this car you have no clue what your in for;):D:D:D:D;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since you're new I'll relate my M6 experience. Drove the hot lap at the Experience in an M6. Instructor beat the piss out of it for 2.5 miles. Rev limiter shifts, banging gears, etc. No clutch problems at all. I asked him about the clutch issues being discussed on the forums. He responded that both HC M6's in their fleet had 12k with original clutches. Granted they aren't drag racing with slicks but from what I saw, they can take a beating. You should have no issues, especially with normal street use.

As far as power and the SOTP feeling, I've owned both, and a 2nd gear downshift at 60mph will wake you up big time. Pulls just as hard as my A8. Row the gears and enjoy

• Like Like x 4
  14. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love my M6. Have a DD and a work truck that are autos. Don't need it in this and I don't have to be the fastest at the track....if...I should even go. Have driven another paddle shifted car. Paddle shifters are absolutely not the same as a manual transmission car.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Howie Wowie

Howie Wowie Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you want to drive a car, drive a stick. If you want to go for a ride, an automatic is perfect. Pick what you like.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1