Difference in Oil filters AC and AB

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by nkdave, Sep 10, 2015.

1. nkdave

nkdave Sublime, black hood, M6

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i just did my first oil change. The filter I took off was part number 04884899AC the one the dealer sold me is part number 04884899AB. They both look identical so I went ahead and installed the AB filter. Does anyone know the difference between the two?

2. jojo80

jojo80 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the two letters are the revision levels of the print

3. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I asked that question to my local Dodge parts guy. He took the one out of the box and placed it on the counter and said that's the difference. he said one was bulk dealer stock and one was boxed for retail sale. I have no idea if he was correct or not.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why not use the SRT 041 Viper filter?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lot of debate about that Viper filter on this forum.
    My $.002 or for me I do not use the Viper filter. After much research on the net, blogs , forums, and talking with a few local dealers all I can find is one magazine article quoting a SRT Engineer a few years back ( long before the Hellcat) as he suggest when tracking a SRT the Viper filter can be used.
    I can find nothing except a few dealers parts guys saying it's okay on the net to use the 041 but I can find just as many dealers that will refuse to use that filter on a Hellcat. My local dealer does not stock the 041 and says it is not the correct filter.
    The engine from the factory does not use that SRT filter and I can find no owners guide or anything suggesting that is the correct filter for my Hellcat. I know the flow rate and bypass valve PSI specs are not the same.
    I use what comes on my cat.
    I still say the guys and gals in those white coats and an Engineering degree know better than I do of what to use. If the 041 Viper filter was the correct filter to use, IMO when you call the dealer and give them your vin to see what filter to use you would think that Viper filter would show up at least as an option but it does not.
    Im a show me kinda guy. Show me it is okay to use the 041 filter on my Hellcat and I will, as the idea of a better filter would get my vote but I need more than a quote from a Magazine printed before the Hellcat was in production.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1