Do Any Dealerships Take Pride Anymore

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by goingsolo2, Mar 7, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally understand that it's a business...I get it. But there's a certain loyalty that brings people back for repeat business, and that's how you grow to be successful.

With that being said, I am getting fed up with a few things:

1. Review videos of the Hellcat where the salesman states BS facts about it, such as "limited production" or "special edition".

2. When they are taking you through the car in the videos and start either stumbling or or have no idea about options on the car.

3. Shady ass dealers that just have no idea what they're talking about.

It's so apparent that they take no pride in what they're actually selling. An educated salesman will always come off better. My salesman races cars and truly loves everything about what he sells. We actually talk outside of car sales and are friends because of both our love for cars.

Does this really frustrate anyone else?? Can't they at least take a little time to educate themselves on the best production car ever made? (At least I think so)

Sorry for my rant!

Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LelandJim

LelandJim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Some are good, some are not...just like any profession.
    Our dealership sells 600 to 700 cars a month over Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, etc.
    No way to know all about every model/option on every vehicle. Likely more difficult when only a handful of 'cats pass through, often through different sales folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I first went to my local dealer in January to inquire about a HC, the sales lead guy sez they can order 1, they are selling for 10K over to order and to place an order, there is a several thousand $ non-refundable order fee. The dude couldn't have gotten rid of me quicker if he had a shotgun. Went back 3 weeks later and asked to speak with the fleet or Gen Sales mgr. Found out that my initial sales contact didn't know pooh. After meeting the higher ups, including the owner, got it for a few K over and am 1st on a short list. Easy to do if you are local, but harder to do over the phone. Some sales people are very good....some can actually hurt the dealership's business more than help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it is just a job to most salesman. They are just "salesman" and not enthusiasts

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The dealers want to be successful but due to the nature of the business many of the salesman ( on the front line ) are idiots. Its hard to find good help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BentFender

BentFender Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went to my local dealer for this Challenger also, but different sales man. I walked in and asked to inquire about a Hellcat. She looked at me like I was out of my mind. I replied I'll just walk around a bit. I looked back at her and she had turned and asked this guy (you could read her lips) "What is a Hellcat" I noticed a salesman cube was adorned with auto stuff. This picture of an old hot rodded '55 Chev and other drag car pictures caught my eye. I went back and said I want this guy. Is he here? We met and when I told him what I wanted he lit up and said 'Oh Yea!" he knew all about this car. Now this was real early on and only a couple of my friends knew about one. He said that nobody had inquired about one and he didn't know much about ordering one but he would keep me in the loop. He did , made my deposit, later put my order in like everyone else. I felt lucky to get a car guy & not a salesman that needed a job. He and his brother both have drag cars his is a 60's Mopar.

• Like Like x 3
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    being a car dealer attracts a certain type of person.....and there must be a reason they continue to work there ----i think were the reason....somehow these con men/sh*t heads are whats needed to sell cars.....an honest man must not work well.....ive bought from a few honest/good type of salesmen....but most have been a-holes

they have like 6-8 cars they sell for their brand name.......they should be experts in every way on those 6 models....yet most know nothing.....the guy i bought my gt500 from was different....he was upset he couldnt spend 3 hours explaining the features and was more excited about the car than me.......he wasnt a sales guy though, he was a guy who's ONLY job was to finish the sale and explain the cars features...

my HC sales guy was good......he was slick acting, but he really didnt F with me much......no games

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they spent less time walking around and standing outside, maybe they could read the materials, look on the internet or watch the review vids.

The real service was at the small dealers they shut down. The ones who had 1 or 2 long time salesman and you made an appointment or waited. Either that or you knocked on the owners office door and were greeted on a first name basis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BentFender

BentFender Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    On a side note I wanted a '13 Boss 302 L.S. knowing it was also a limited ava. car I started my search as soon as possible. Dec '11 I went to local large Ford dealership and asked if they could put my name in the pot. I was told by the sales manager that "YOUR NOT GOING TO GET THAT" and then he walked away. Just left me standing there. What? I guess he thought I'd never buy anything in the future from them what a d__k. In less than a week I had a deposit on one form another dealership. Here is a funny - back in '88 my "X" wanted a new Toyota Sup.Turbo so we went to a dealership and they told us straight up "YOU CAN'T AFFORD ONE" we hadn't even given them our name, we were young but we had no bills only a house note. And we were dressed nice, its not that, that I looked like that goofy green guy to the left. Same day we bought one off the show room floor else where. Here is the funny part my X had never driven a stick so we borrowed a little Honda from a friend for her to learn on, so she learned on this under powered bloated skateboard. The dealer let her drive it out of the building - big mistake! It went up a ramp to get out. I told her she would have to give it a little gas to get out. Well she gave it the same amount to get the little Honda out. Oops. She tached it up then dropped the clutch on their nice tiled floor, leaving the salesman and myself with mouths open looking at those two long black marks! She never let off of it till she got to the street. I bet those marks to this day are still there. Was very funny at the time. But you know I never did go back to those other dealerships and tell them what I thought of them after purchasing somewhere else. Car salesman for the most part pretty much suck.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I was shopping for my 2000 3500 I had a guy giving me a hard time. Asked if he could look around and find one. Had my GF with me and happened to be wearing my bikers jacket. I stood up and took the coat off and said "Is that better?" And looked at his co worker I had just bought my Neon R/T commuter from a year earlier in about 5 minutes of looking at it. Still gave me an additude.

I then had another dealer I know find one and transfer to his dealership. No problem.

Once I had the truck, I drove to the other dealership where the guy had the additude. His desk was right up against the windows. I pulled up in my bright white 2000 3500 4x4 Sport (loaded, leather) and stopped and idled. He finally turned around and I gave him a Jersey Wave. His loss for judging me and being a d__k.

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's just the "merkin" way! Obviously, there are some dealers you need to stay away from. These days, with internet rating systems, being "informed" is essential to a good transaction. In the 80's, I bought a car from a salesman named Rick Dicker (actual real name!) that turned out to be a horrible experience. I should have known better. I learned a lesson! Fool me once, shame on you.... Round two has never happened.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I sold muscle cars in college and I did as much research as I could to make sure I knew about each and every one that I showed to prospective buyers. It is not too much to ask that they know about their products. I see them standing around all the time waiting for a customer to come in. That time can be spent researching and understanding what they sell. Its pure laziness not to know and being bad at your job. Any job you have has a learning curve, its how you learn that is key.:D

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did not know they had muscle cars back then. I thought they were just all model "T" :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    :p:p:ppfffftttttt! JUST REMOVED FROM MY CHRISTMAS CARD LIST!!!o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. 70Cuda

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WOW THAT IS EXTREME, YOU LET THE DOOR OPEN SO I WENT FOR IT;)