Do Baby Your Hellcat?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Kaneda, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In the past I would baby my cars. Try and keep them looking new forever and just stress out over every little nick, chip, scratch...It would drive me nuts. Especially since it's a losing battle. This car is a 202mph brick going down the road. It's going to get scratches, nicks, and chips, no matter what you do.

So I've decided not to baby my cat at all. That doesn't mean I beat on her. It means I just don't stress out anymore if there's a little nick on the rim. Or if a rock on the highway leaves a pin-point size chip on the front bumper. Sure I could drive her really really carefully and try try to avoid all debris, but then I'd just be an anxious driver.

When I see guys who still leave the yellow splitter guards on I wonder, "will this guy ever enjoy this car?" I hit a tire at night going 90MPH and the splitter now has that battle scar. That's half the reason that thing is there. If I want a new one, it cost like $150. But i'm not going to run out and replace it the second it's not "perfect". Why? Because I'll hit something again.

I also hear some guys who have a Hellcat for a year and have like 1,000 miles on it. I have to laugh because how is that even possible? A good weekend I'm dropping 100 miles on her, easily. Each their own, I know, but I just figure I want to enjoy this car to the max everyday I drive her and if I stress about keeping her perfect, I'll never enjoy her. Plus, they are gonna make a "Better" Hellcat next time around and I'll just trade up.

So how do you feel about your car? Are you anal and try to keep her perfect? Or do you drive her like a muscle car?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I used to worry about every little flaw and any strange noises when I owned my '03 Cobra and '12 GT500.

I finally realized, like you, that it takes away from enjoying the car.

I no longer stress over little things, like factory flaws under the paint and panels not lining up on my Hellcat.;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After having my HC for a month, I noticed a small door ding near the driver side door. Some moron probably just flung their door open in a parking lot giving Kitty her first battle scar. Frustrating?...yes. I don't drive it in the rain and keep her pretty clean at all times. Haven't floored it yet and still haven't done a burnout either. 5900 miles on it since taking delivery in mid June. When starting her up, I drive it very mellow..rpm's under 2K... until it reaches operating temp then I will open it up. I respect my HC's power and still have fun " goosing it" from time to time. Yellow splitter guards are in the trunk. I agree with your assessment, but I do try and protect her within reason;)

4. dave06srt

dave06srt Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Baby my hellcat.....ha. I picked mine up this Wednesday and already put 300 miles on her, in the rain no less hehe. I buy my cars to drive and enjoy. My charger hc is my daily driver and will probably see at least 15k miles this year. Loving it so far. Do with your car what you like, but me, I'm gonna drive the piss out of mine with a big ol grin the entire time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My thoughts exactly. Enjoy your car, don't nit pick... it will drive you crazy.

I try not to baby mine but it's tough with traffic and such. I stretch her legs late at night on open freeways.

As far as the yellow splitter protectors, to each his own but mine came off immediately and are stored in my garage, never to be touched again. JMO but they look goofy on the car. It's like buying an expensive painting and hanging it in the box.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't do burnouts but drive it like it has 707hp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Antimatter

Antimatter SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I worry about every nick. But I'm NOT afraid to drive the hell out of it!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Roostking

Roostking Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I don't baby my 392 and won't baby my hellcat. I have no idea how people are actually proud to proclaim they only have 1500 miles on a 2 year old car. I took an epic road trip this summer that covered 22,000, yes 22,000 miles in 6 months. Its got rock chips, the wheels are beat up and it doesn't smell like a new car anymore, but I have memories that other guys will never replicate looking at their car in the garage. I do keep it clean at all times and take care of it for sure!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. hunterjr81

hunterjr81 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had mine 5 weeks and have 1250 miles on it.....and I have my truck I drive also. It's too dang hard not to drive 707HP because it is so much fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right it will be out of warranty before they find out if anything's wrong with it if you don't drive it !?!?

• Like Like x 1
  11. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had Dante for 15 months now, and just rolled the miles over to 5100. The vast majority of the driving I do is local, but I have taken three trips on him. I am very particular about him being dirty inside and out, my dogs do not get in Dante at all, and I am paranoid beyond belief about parking lots. Other than that I do not baby him, but I do not beat on him, either. My husband and I are comfortable financially, but we are not rich ... this is the most expensive car I have ever owned, and I take very good care of it.

April

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I say I baby mine. I let it warm up, I let it cool down, I don't slam doors, or drive with dirty hands.

However, my rear tires show significant wear compared to the fronts, I have 2,300miles and bought it in October.

The yellow guards are in because I like the look.
    The mid mufflers are gone.

I use her but don't abuse her. To me, that's babying it.

13. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Some of us waited stressing for our cars and that stress stinks. The added stress of someone dinging the door or hitting it is worse. These cars need to be protected like the big 3 we have. Our family, our homes and our cars.
    On the flip side you have to drive it to enjoy and flaunt it. Catch 22 kinda question but 707 horsepower to get you there!!!!

14. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In the beginning I didn't baby her. But after I got hit the second time, I started driving her less to work and never in wet conditions. I have 25,000 miles on her and tomorrow she will be 1 year old. For my sanity and the other driver's safety, I have learned to calm down when stupid ish happens or almost happens.

15. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When the opportunity arises I like to stretch it legs. I'll drive it rain or shine. I got caught the other day, out in my Cat with freshly gritted roads. That annoyed me but hey ho I intend to give her a thorough power wash off tomorrow. I won't do supermarket car parks. A door ding would really piss me off. But I have managed to scuff the underside of the drivers door on a raised curb and put two little marks on the hood when I raised the hood whilst the wiper arms were up mid cleaning session. Stone chips and the like I won't bother about. I bought the Cat to enjoy and won't be too precious about it. Life's too short and I did not buy it as an investment. I bought it to put a big smile on my face and it sure does that :)

• Like Like x 2