Do Nitto 555R Drag Radials need to be Heat Cycled

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by GBTXHellcat, May 6, 2016.

1. GBTXHellcat

GBTXHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Just bought my 1st ever set of Drag radials

Should I get them Heat Cycled by discount tire before they send them ?

I am completely new to this.

2. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder
    Fastest HC Charger/Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I used Nitto's ..no heat cycle !
    Just drive around on them for a little while.
    Nitto's love a really smokey burnout.
    Beleive me they will be heat cycled after that.

Linda:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GBTXHellcat

GBTXHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Linda I will try and get a video

Cheers

Andy :)

4. Tire God 2.0

Tire God 2.0 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Heat cycling tires promotes more consistent performance and slightly longer life. The tire gets mounted on a wheel, put on the machine, and a loaded roller is applied to the tire. It spins and gradually brings the tire temp up to operating temps (somewhere between 150-170F). You measure the temp with a pyrometer and once it is at the operating temp all the way across the face of the tire, you keep it there for about 10 minutes. Then the tires must sit without any weight on them (not on a car) for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours. What this does is break in the tire, breaks the links in the compound and when the tire cools and sits for a day or two, the links are rebonded stronger. I do this a few times a week for customers. This is a must for road race or autoX competition tires (R compound). Drag radials on the other hand not as important but still good to do. Any tire with a 100 treadwear rating or less should be heat cycled. The reason why it's important for road race and autoX is because if you were to try to break them in on the track, you would have to run the tires hard and slowly going harder, but you can't lock them up under braking, get wheel spin, or slide the tires sideways. And get them at the right temps and keep them there, then jack it up and wait 24-48 hrs before racing/driving. This is very difficult for most people to achieve proper break in without harming the tires. There is a shop near us that builds and dynos these rat rods and they constantly buy NT555R's and we heat cycle every one. They tell us it does improve the life and gives more consistent performance. My favorite part is when the tires reach 160F, you can see and smell the rubber change form so to speak. They get super sticky. It's awesome haha.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Very nice info, I'm just not sure.
    My Nitto's were handed down to my daughter after many runs made by me.
    She makes the smokeiest burn out ever.
    She then got my first set of "20" s MT s handed down to her. She used the Nitto's for quite some time and was quite upset her dad traded them out. She really liked using them
    Now At this time they are being borrowed by another bracket racer. I think they have been lasting a long time. We shall see.
    I've read the opposite, a longer life will be had with out the heat cycling after all, It is a heat cycling with a couple of good smokey burn outs and that means a couple of extra runs.
    Linda :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have read some claims of the first burnout doing a good enough job. But what alot of people do is over do it. They do way too long of a burnout and it has a negative effect. Like I said it's not AS important as it is with road racing tires. But I think it's still worth it. Even with those you still have to scrub them in. Just like you would still have to burnout with a drag radial.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Linda's Hell Cat

Linda's Hell Cat
    Record Holder

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Well that's true with most DR's over heated they become slick and they don't hook well.
    If you turn your mirror down to see your burnout is helpful to watch for the smoke. Once you see the smoke pouring out let go of the brake and slide forward.
    You don't want to stop and then go forward, your tire will pick up the clumps that will drop.
    My avatar picture is from when I had Nittos. They like a real nice smokey burn out.
    My MTS Dr's not as much, yes over down on those does cause a negative effect.

Linda :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would not heat cycle them unless they are doing it for free and you were ok with any possible delays. My Nittos lasted a long time as well. And if you are not racing at a really well prepped track a bigger burnout will help. Since I drive my car to the track and I street drive it I am assuming my tires are thermal cycled before I race. Tire god is right, they sure seem to look different after the first 20 minute freeway drive. But, I do not jack my car up when I get home. Maybe that is a good idea. Thanks Tire God!

I was just helping a Guy with a Charger Hellcat at Irwindale last Thursday night......NT555R 305/35R20's on stock rims and that car would NOT hook. They were set at 16PSI which I think is a little low BUT OK and he was doing good burnouts. I did find out that he had nothing in the trunk and 1/3 tank of gas. I do recommend a full tank of gas and I always have about 75 pounds of tools in the trunk.
    Maybe it was because the tires were green or perhaps they had them mounted on the wrong side of the car (wrong direction), I did not notice, but would liked to have checked. It was bugging me because I thought it should have hooked on that tire.......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tire God 2.0

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I doubt the tires are reaching the proper temps during street driving. The reason for the heat cycle machines are that it's a completely controlled environment with constant temp monitoring and perfect break in. And when we are talking 100th or 1000ths of seconds, not a bad idea ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i got mine heat cycled. what was it? $20 or something? chump change

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    15 bucks each i think

12. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think it was worth it. Tire God 2.0 is making me feel better i did it.. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1