Do not purchase at Bettenhausen Automotive in Tinley Chicago

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by NYHELLCAT88, Jan 20, 2016.

1. NYHELLCAT88

NYHELLCAT88 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The last week after seeing a 2016 hellcat online at there dealership I contacted them to inquire more about the car. The salesman I spoke to over the phone told me they don't charge anything over MSRP on the cars and no other dealer markup fees. So after running my credit they quoted me a lease price of 710 a month for 36 months with 10000 down including taxes. So i immediately put a 2000 dollar down payment on my credit card and agreed that everything was perfect with the price and being from NY ill come fly in to finish the paperwork and drive the car home on Thursday. With me putting the initial downpayment down on Saturday. On Monday I call the dealership back again looking to move forward with the rest of the transaction so I could just pick up the car and go. I ask them for a printout of the lease agreement just so everything could be straight. Four hours later I get a call back that miscalculated the tax wrong and my monthly payments would be in 1200 Dollar a month range. I then tell him that it is impossible because in NY state you just pay tax on the amount of your lease and its no way possible that the tax on the lease would be a extra $14,000.00 and then sent him a copy of my current lease from BMW and my parents current lease with Dodge. Long story short they stuck to the extra usage tax in NY which doesn't exist to cover up the fact they were not trying to sell me the same car way over MSRP and now I'm out the 200 dollars I spent on the flights. But on a positive note I found a local dealer in NY who would sell me the car at MSRP and I picked it up today.

New Chrysler | Bettenhausen Automotive in Chicago, IL

• Like Like x 2
  2. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn that really sucks!

3. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Which dealer in NY sold you the car for MSRP? That's very rare in NY, especially in the city and Long Island. That dealer deserves a shout out. Congrats on getting your new ride, but sorry you had to go through that BS with the first dealer.

4. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had my dealings with Bettenhausen dodge including having my mom buy a car there. It doesn't sound like something they would do. I personally know 5 people that bought their Cats from them at MSRP and one got his less than MSRP. It sounds like there was a computer glitch or somebody didn't know how to sell an out of state car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was going to say even with my purchase out of state, I had to send them the tax code for Michigan on how to collect and charge sales on Virginia. It was over $2800 difference. They weren't trying to get over as taxes do not go to them, they just didn't plug in the correct method in the system. Once I showed them the state guide, it was fixed in seconds. Honest mistake and in the end (in my case, not yours), I would have received a check back from the state for the incorrect collection amount.

Glad it worked out otherwise. Post a pic!!

6. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought my 16 Challenger HC in Syracuse. Ordered 8/27/15 and picked it up 10/13/15. MSRP with no attempt to mark up. They are on Hiawatha Blvd, Syracuse. I have bought many 20+ from the same salesman since 1980. This is the first time I have ever had to pay as much as MSRP but I am very happy that I got the car and they were great to deal with.

7. Hellcat15

Hellcat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is very uncharacteristic of this dealer. They are one of the good ones, maybe the best in this area. Somethings not right, or there's more to the story.
    As long as you got your car that's great, but somethings amiss here.
    (not affiliated in any way by he way, Ive just bought cars from there before)

8. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I completely agree with you. I called them today and told them about this post and they told me that the OP is inaccurate with his numbers on the taxes and the increase in payments. The OP was either very mistaken or is lying to badmouth a really good dealer with an impeccable reputation from hellcat owners from around the country.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Hellcat15

Hellcat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes it's too bad, the thread title and post really slams this dealership.
    OP needs to come back and clarify things a little better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. msorensen

msorensen Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mr. Dambinskas, this is Mike Sorensen. I am the General Sales Manager of Bettenhausen Automotive and I would like to take this time to address your feedback about your Hellcat purchase inquiry. First of all, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I now understand why this purchase fell through. It looks like it was improper communication between us. I was involved in trying to make this New York state lease for you and I can assure you that we were not trying to upcharge at all. We contacted several dealers in New York to verify leasing structures and they all confirmed that the way that we had it configured was indeed correct. I even tried working a discount on our end to help ease the taxes in New York, but it would not make the payment reasonable. Trust me, if you still want to buy this vehicle right now, it will not be sold over MSRP. If you wanted to obtain your own financing, again it will not be sold over MSRP. We are not like that. We do not play those games. You can ask all the individuals that purchased from us before. It is truly a pleasurable experience with nothing to hide and no games being played. The outrageous payment you saw was due to taxes in New York. I cannot stress that enough. There were no cover-ups of any upsells that we were trying to accomplish. Overall, I still want to help you with your purchase and I promise it will not be a penny over MSRP. Feel free to call or email me for more information.
    -Mike Sorensen
    (708)460-5337
    msorensen@bettenhausenauto.com

• Like Like x 1
  11. msorensen

msorensen Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did read that you purchased at another dealer in NY, but I figured just in case you did not pick it up yet or it fell through to let me know and we can pick up right where we left off. Thanks Justin.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man I'm glad it worked out... Have fun in your new kitty!!!

13. ppowell1983

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for clarifying this to the readers here. I can vouch for this dealer being an upstanding member of the Dodge community unlike other dealers in our area.

14. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I purchased my 16 Challenger in NYS. Selling price $68,780 plus Sales Tax of $5,502.40. Taxes on a lease would be far less... I don't know which party is correct but these are my facts.

15. NYHELLCAT88

NYHELLCAT88 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did attempt to over the phone rectify the sales tax problem with the dealer by sending him a copy of my BMW lease in NY which would show them the correct sales tax for NY state and truly believed that they would at least take some time to try to recalculate it for me but instead I got a response back with no change at all in the price. I also explained to him that the number he was given me was completely marked up and not possible because I got a quote for 6000 over MSRP in NY for the same car and 1000 over for 800 a month. But they stuck to that price. But anyways the Dealer I got the car in NY from was Bayside Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram and heres some pictures of the car. FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6341.JPG FullSizeRender_1.jpg FullSizeRender_2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6339.JPG IMG_6341.JPG