Do rotors have to be replaced with brake pads?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MidlifeCrisis, Oct 15, 2015.

1. MidlifeCrisis

MidlifeCrisis Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I took my car into the dealer today for several issues, including front tires clicking at slow speeds. I just read on here that the clicking is normal, but they're telling me it's because the rotors need to be replaced. They are also telling me it's going to cost $2400 to replace the rotors and brake pads and that this will need to be done every time I have to replace the brake pads. Is this the case?

2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1 year 12,000 mile warranty on brakes and clutch (M6)

3. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Total barnyard clutter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MidlifeCrisis

MidlifeCrisis Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've put 16,000 miles on the car, so I am not under warranty for the brakes anymore. How long should my brake pads last?

So it's not true that the rotors have to be replaced at the same time? If I do have to get them replaced is that going to fix the clicking at slow speeds?

5. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check your center cap retaining ring. And find another repair shop

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yep, that sounds about right. Do me a favor and send me your junk two piece rotors so I can scrap them for you.

;)
    I kid, I kid.....

7. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is a minimum spec. for rotor thickness (usually stamped on the rotor). If the rotor isn't warped I would just replace the pads and bed them.

If the rotor is warped they normally could be cut as long you don't go below the minimum thickness. Not sure if there are any issues cutting this type of rotor or not.

If mine were not warped and above minimum spec. I would reused them. If at minimum or warped I would replace them.

Just my opinion. I have no qualifications here LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your brake pads could last one track day or several years, depending on how you drive. Brake rotors have a wear "spec". Only if they are worn too thin, warped badly, or scored, do they need replaced.

In complete and total sincerity, you are driving a fairly expensive, complex, high performance car to be entertaining this kind of BS from a dealer. Please find someone in your life that you can trust completely to help you care and feed for your Hellcat while you learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. chrisp34

chrisp34 Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very interesting. I am glad I am not an everyday driver of this Cat. I have heard that the rotors cannot be cut. Personally I'd check with Dodge corporate or Resume Speed on this site. I don't know how many miles you could have on this car, but if I just dumped 70k on a new car, paying 2400 bucks for brakes after a year would piss me off.

10. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rotors should be fine after 16k miles, how did you run through the pads in 16k miles?

11. RichCat

RichCat Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From another thread in this forum I have read that the clicking may be due to the two piece rotors. The disks, where the pads grab is bolted to the hub which rides on bearings to the spindle. There are slots through which the bolts fit in the disks which allow the disks to expand when heated by the pads rubbing in a stop.
    Repeated heat cycles, cool hot cool etc. causes relative movement of the disk slots and bolts. The bolts are torqued with spring clips to hold the disks to the hubs. Some wearing occurs which can cause the spring clips to make the clicking noise one hears. Per MOPAR this can be normal in most cases but
    I would have a tech check relative looseness of the rotor disk to hubs before I would accept it is acceptable? Anyone disagree or have more experience with the two piece rotors????
    Also if the surface of the rotor feels smooth and there is no pulsing of the break peddle if it was my vehicle I would reuse the disks and change just the pads. Minor grooving is normal and should not be a problem with new pads. In my experience.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  12. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  13. burn133

burn133 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I know most rotors can be turned on a lathe (to smooth the face when you put new pads on) until they are below minimum thickness standard. Usually costs like $10 for each rotor.

I would like to know if the front hellcat rotors can be turned. If someone knows for sure please let us know.

Take a pic of your front break pad and rotor, show us how much pad is still left. you may have a few thousand miles left on them.

Also tell us how you have driven the 16k. Is it a daily driver, stop and go in town, all highway, lots of track time, road course?

14. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My first move would be to get my car to another Dealer or shop, even if I had to have it done on a flat bed wrecker. I think that you are in the hands of crooks.

15. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

this is the truth--pads and rotors are simply wear and tear items--if the pads are worn out on a 200 mph car, you should replace the rotors as well--now, if you never plan to road race, or if you don't expect to stop at the highest possible performance level (even from 140mph) then the rotors can be spe'd and possibly run longer--but why would you wait?? If you paid 70 grand for a car that will do 200 mph, then pay the money for a proper brake job and keep the potential for stopping power where it's suppose to be... the is NO price tag for safety.

20151011_120316.jpg

• Like Like x 1