Do your brakes squeak?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by torpedovegas21, Mar 7, 2016.

1. torpedovegas21

torpedovegas21 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have about 4500 miles on the cat now and I've taken it in twice for the brakes making a very loud high pitch squeak when applying the brakes. I've heard everything from it's the "humidity" to "that is just what performance brakes do". It is becoming more and more prevalent which concerns me. A $70k car's brakes shouldn't squeak like they are going out, is my opinion on it. But everytime I take it in it either doesn't squeak or I get a standard deflective response.

If I get a loud squeak from applying the brakes, should I be concerned?

2. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine do not squeal at all. Sounds like something is not quite right. You could try chamfering the leading edge of the brake pads. Something we used to do on the 1990's Porsches to stop them being noisy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. torpedovegas21

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There has to be right? If I knew more about the mechanical side of cars I would do that but I have to rely on the dealership for that stuff. I also don't know enough about it to challenge the dealership on their response. It's about 90% of the time now that when I either apply the brakes easy or hard they squeak. I can also hold that squeak too if I kept the brake in that position, so it's not an in and out squeak. I'll take some recordings of it and pop them in here this week to see if any of you know exactly what it could be.

What should I tell the dealership? or should I call SRT?

4. torpedovegas21

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Every time you apply the brakes though? I have a hard time believing that's the norm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    no--this is very typical for alot of high performance brake systems. we use to call it "goat ropers" because foreign cars were the usual culprits on brake squeak--annoying yes but not an issue otherwise.
    brake pulsation is another matter.

good day!

• Like Like x 1
  6. torpedovegas21

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's very unfortunate because it's embarrassing when you stop at a stop light and you squeak the entire way to the light.

How would you explain some doing it and some not? How could that not be an issue?

7. torpedovegas21

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No clue what that is but I will definitely check it out. Thank you. I'm down to try anything.

8. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    pad squeak is usually a light glazing caused by various conditions of use but not a serious matter at all. the squeak is actually a high frequency vibration of the pad in milliseconds--the pads are working fine--of course you can replace them, but it may return based on your driving habits too..
    this squeak problem has been around for decades in the industry and is nothing new or unique.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PlumCrzyHellcat

PlumCrzyHellcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine squeak all the time. Every once in a while I get ticked off about it and do a fairly firm brake check (0.8-0.9 g's). That doesn't help though. I bought some power stop z23 pads and I plan on installing them if the squeaking doesn't stop soon. I don't have any vibration or pulsing so I have just chalked it up as a nuisance.

I'm at 722 miles. Followed break-in by the book.

10. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You do not have to live with noisy brakes..I have owned 5 SRT vehicles and none of them had noisy brakes...at least not for long...the reason is I bed my brakes. Go to a road where there is no traffic and accelerate to 60mph then brake as hard as you can short of wheel lockup until you get to 30mph. Quickly accelerate to 60mph the brake hard again to 30mph.

Repeat this 7 times then drive for about 10 minutes without touching the brakes...very important you do the 10 minute drive with no braking to cool everything down. if you smell the hot brakes on the last couple of stops you are doing bit right.

You may have to do this twice. Most of the time once will get the job done. You may also have to do this every few thousand mile but again probably not. The 2006 SRT I had seemed like every 3000-5000 miles they would start squealing again. My 2013 Challenger has 17,000 and no squeal since I bedded the brakes when I first bought it.

If the above does not stop the squeal you need to replace the pads and/or the rotors need shaving or replaced. If you do replace the brakes do the bed in procedure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RDLSRT

RDLSRT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    728 miles and my brakes squeak. Will try the process TNCHARGER described.

12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    2500 mi no squeak here. My Shelby had the same brakes and squeaked when coming to a slow stop. I was told high performance pads sometimes do that.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. 1BDHCAT

1BDHCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No. I'm at 2000 miles tho

14. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    FYI... 1855 mi. thus far with no squeaks..

15. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Both my SRT vehicles squeak. It is pretty annoying I'll be honest. I bought ceramic pads that I was going to install today but I'm opting to change my pads once my OEM ones need replacing.

$200 for labor for replacing pads is insane to me.