Do your dual stripes ...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by april77, May 15, 2016.

1. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ... look like mine? There is a 1/2 inch gap on the rear bumper that should not be there at all. Same gap on the front bumper, also, but it is not as large. I have seen the same gap on the front bumper on a few other people's pictures, but I am curious as to how the rear bumper looks.

I am getting mine fixed next week, but it should not have looked like this in the first place ... looks cheap and half-assed. I had my local collision center order the section of the stripe kit that goes over the trunk lid (because that is a long section), and they are going to cut the stripes to fit without that gap like they should have been fit to the car from the factory.

I am just curious if there are many others that look like mine. Anyone?

April

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    April when I owned the Shelby GT500 I noticed several owners who removed the stripes it came with. They either changed out the color of the stripes or deleted them altogether. And it did not mess up the paint. I was planning to change the stripes as well from matte black to bright red.....but then mr hellcat showed up and altered plans...haha.

Anyways something to consider going forward, in case you want a complete purple look. And you can ask for a refund for the stripes. Or if you really like the stripes, ask them to fix it or reimburse expenses.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will check when I get home April. Send or post some pics for you.
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess we should look closer now.

4. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yours are exactly correct. EOM stripes do not get too close to the plastic. Only place they tuck under is the rubber (way more flexible) on the top. Any where you see hard plastic, they are cut short.

5. Macman

Macman VIP Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg image.jpeg My car also has the gaps. Looks like that is how they make them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder why FCA chose to install the stripes in such a manner? A full 1/2 inch gap before it meets the plastic is not necessary at all ... looks like a shoddy mistake. As I said in my initial post, I hate the look, so mine are getting corrected. :)

April

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Not as noticeable on the red car. But pops on the PCP.

Stripes look good on a moon roof car. Works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No stripes on my cat but the Shelby GT500 I traded to get it had an awful stripe condition.

If you expand the attached pic you can see where Ford decided to execute an everlovin' overlap. It is right on the front of the bumper about an inch below where the top of it levels off.

I was in for service and talked to the guys at the dealership who were like..."ohhh! that doesn't look right". They had 2 other GT500's in the service bay getting oil changes so we went to check them out. Guess what...all had the same overlap at the same location. Bogus. Hopefully the guys who were able to get their cats and keep their snakes have a better stripe experience.

Best of luck April. Hope it comes out the way you want it to look :)

IMG_0140.JPG

9. april77

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I see what you are saying about that overlap ... I wonder why Ford did it that way, as it does look bad on an otherwise gorgeous car.

I will post pictures when mine is done. It should look fine since we are removing the section that does not fit right and completely replacing it and tucking it up under the plastic like it should have been done in the first place. If we have enough of the stripe material left after the rear is done (if I measured correctly we should), we are going to do the front bumper as well. On mine the front is not nearly as noticeable, but, I know it is there and it is bugging me, LOL! :)

April

• Like Like x 1
  10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good for you April, get it corrected the way you want it! I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would leave them as be. You should see original Buick a GSX stripes. There is a mismatch in the stripes on the rear qtr. where the factory stencils came together. They also got overspray on the chrome door handles. Collectors now expect those to be there. The mistakes are original unique to your car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Biscuit60140

Biscuit60140 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't noticed any gaps on mine but I will have to inspect them after reading this. What I do seem to have though is bubbles under the stripes everywhere I look. I only got it about two weeks ago and the salesman said they should go away in time it makes me continue to worry about Dodge build quality...

• Like Like x 1
  14. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I had my stripes done aftermarket and there are no gaps. IMHO there shouldn't be any.

Good luck getting it fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bubbles mean moisture or dust/dirt/lint under the material. They hope the moisture evaporates and the material then settles down. If you've got them everywhere I'd be worried about poor overall surface prep prior to the stripes being laid down. Consider pressing the issue and having it done correctly on your beautiful car.

Whenever anyone asks about protective film I always post that in addition to selecting superior film...it's the installer! Same goes for stripes and it is a lot harder to line them up than you might imagine.

I learned the bubble lesson a decade ago. Now, I've got a great installer and absolutely no issues.

• Agree Agree x 1