Dodge Active Braking = not functional

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by 16SRT, Apr 18, 2016.

1. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Well, I give up. After living with the Active Braking system (Technology Pack) for a month, and havining it falsely fire off on me about ten times, I had to shut it off. I think it's a good idea, and like that it could save me from potentially hitting something which happens too quickly to react myself, but it just doesn't work. I actually had it go off three times in twenty minutes this morning, and I was in no danger of hitting anything on any of these three occasions. It is very jarring to have the brakes slam on in full anti-lock mode, when you're cruising along at speed, every time someone ahead of you stops in adjacent or turning lane.

Interested to hear others' experience with this system. Bad design, or did I get a faulty unit? Can't imagine how folks will deal with this, when it becomes mandatory in a few years, but hopefully the technology will mature by then.

2. digdug33071

digdug33071 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 2015 Challenger Hellcat doesn't have that capability, but I have a 2015 Jeep GC SRT and a 2015 Jeep GC Summit that both have the technology and they work great. They only recognizes what's in your lane and slow nicely when necessary. Only thing I don't like is when you are approaching much slower or stopped traffic at 70 mph - seems like it waits too long then hits the brakes pretty hard. But never had it just stop for no reason. I'd definitely take it in and run diagnostics.

3. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why would you even want such technology. Have we all of a sudden forgotten how to drive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RonH

RonH Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I disabled the active braking on my Charger SRT 392 for the same reason. It is very disconcerting to have the system slam on the brakes when a car in front of you slows down. Not to mention that the car behind me might plow into me because I stopped unexpectedly. Maybe if I tailgated the guy in front of me, it would be more useful. I still let it supply an auditory warning, but not apply the brakes.

I've got the same feature on our 2014 Cherokee, and it's just as annoying. The active braking has been disabled on that car too. I love the other features of the technology package, especially the backup camera with crosspath detection, blindspot monitoring and adaptive cruise, but IMO the active braking feature just isn't ready for prime time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    You must be in the position of never having known anyone who ever rear-ended or hit anyone, ever?

I haven't had an accident in my 26 years of driving, but I'm not so foolish to assume it could never happen. I think the active braking system is a good concept, but has some kinks to work out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I'll go a step further, and say I'm worried about the wear and tear associated with repeatedly slamming on the brakes full-force at near-highway speeds. It really is alarming how aggressively it reacts.

7. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The active braking and adaptive cruise is one of the reasons I didn't want an automatic. The technology package of a M6 has all the same features except those two things and the rest of the package features work great.

8. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Sounds faulty to me. I haven't had any "false alarms" like that as you have. I am used to it going off if someone change lanes quickly in front of me and I do not brake. If I brake it doesn't go off. I do remember the first time it went off I nearly shit my pants. Take it in.

Additionally, it doesn't brake every time it alerts me, if the speeds are slow enough it alerts me, but won't brake. But if it senses I am approaching a car in front of me too quickly it will brake. I really like it now.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I can think of good reasons I'd rather have stick than automatic, but yours is perhaps the worst I have heard. I can turn those features on or off at will, so I don't see this as any valid reason to choose one transmission over the other.

My main gripe is that the system is overly aggressive and premature. No need to slam the brakes on full-tilt on a car that can do 60 mph to zero in 100 feet, when you're 200 feet out doing less than 45 mph. It seems to want to stop me an overly-cautious several car lengths from where I'd be veering around the obstacle.

10. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yes, my false firings have all been of the same nature. For example, someone stopping in front of me to make a left turn, and while I plan to go around them on the right, the brakes fire off as I'm approaching them. It always surprises me, because it always seems to attempt to stop me at quite a long distance from the stopped car, well before any collision would be imminent.

11. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Can you adjust the sensitivity like some of the other features? I've gotten used to how it works so I brake when that happens now and no issues.

12. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    ACC module out of alignment???

13. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was only one of a few reasons, one of the other reasons is the sensor mounted in the front grill. I don't like the way it looks and it blocks air flow that could be getting through. And one of the bigger reasons is I don't want to pay for something I would never use, instead they could drop the price of the automatic a few hundred dollars. I feel like they are trying to idiot proof a car that an idiot shouldn't be driving in the first place...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think we are all idiots at some time or another.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Misterdhdt

Misterdhdt Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    What you have described seems like a faulty unit. I have had mine for 15 mos. It has went off a few times over the course of those 15 mos. All were valid responses. Take it in for service.

• Agree Agree x 1