DODGE FACTORY PERFORMANCE (TUNER KITS)

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bam bam, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I for one would love it if Dodge would start offering Performance Tuners or Kits with Headers Camshafts for street and strip or off road, I see Ford has them for the Mustangs and what about intakes Ram air kits Drag Paks Upgraded Rear ends functional cold air hood scoops. I know Dodge Back in the day had many Performance mods for their cars,Maybe if Dodge sees us showing some real interest they just might bring some to market
    we know they are plenty capable. what do you think guys and gals, lets let them hear from us.
    Bam Bam

• Like Like x 1
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ford and FCA are on opposite sides of the fence when it comes to aftermarket go fast mods. Ford has a separate Ford Racing division where you buy warranted parts. Dodge won't even unlock their PCM's.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to speak on the topic of locked/unlocked ECM's, first there is something called DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) most manufacturers are jumping on board as a result of theft of intellectual property, warranty claims and possible civil damage claims from purchasers
    1) Purchasers that unlock ECM's and then make warranty claims when their cars break down
    2) Car is involved in a serious accident due to ECM changes
    3) Programming within the ECM is the Intellectual Property (IP) of FCA

When a car is "Tuned" only certain parameters within the ECM are changed the rest is left alone so whenever an ECM is unlocked you are circumventing measures the manufacturer put it place to protect their IP, up to a $200,000.00 fine per instance. Various tuners sell you a new ECM to avoid this but I'm not sure how much of the manufacturers programming is still in there (could be a really big problem).
    If you purchase an aftermarket ECM that has any IP from the original you are liable for a $200,000.00 fine as well
    I hope I clarified something for somebody as the DMCA is very complex and circumventing it could result in a potentially dangerous and/or costly scenario.
    That being said something from FCA would be nice to enable some simple changes like cooling fan, tire size, octane level and axle ratio settings.

I may be a Wiener and Knob but I have some experience with IP.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wow you must've learned all this before you found your knob:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No Bro, I just use both my Knobs for 1 thing at a time, sort of like quantum processing, on and off at the same time?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wait your wish is coming true sooner than you think

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info. But simplifying, you can go buy an SCT X3 and tune a Mustang right off the showroom floor. So are you saying Ford is flirting with a $200k fine?

8. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If Ford sells the tune, it is their IP, or they have a licensing agreement with the company providing the tune. The company and end user are the ones potentially subject to the penalties if I understand the law and regulations correctly.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree but the issue was locked vs unlocked PCMs. The ability to tune vs not, regardless of who writes the tune.

10. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If Ford is selling it they are not because it is their IP that they are allowing you to manipulate to a certain extent, read the disclaimer carefully it will say for off road use only or something to that extent
    If the Tune is not sold through Ford then that is where the problem lies the manufacturer of the Tuner is breaching the DMCA, again the DMCA is new as is IP in almost everything we use, think of it like YouTube, if you post a vid of your cat dancing to Metallica then YouTube deletes it when they are informed of the theft of Metallica's IP or copyrighted material and if you made money from the vid then YouTube will give that money to Metallica.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great information, this forum is full of members with lots of expertise. IP is something that I find very interesting as it is applied to manufacturing, products, cars, etc., any more gems you want to share is appreciated, consider me a sponge knob

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Again the tune still uses the IP of the company that is why car companies are locking the ECM's, the DMCA is very broad and potentially costly, remember that guy in NJ that got sued by the music companies and lost in court, he was levied a huge fine because he disabled the DRM's on the music he put on his torrent even though he bought the music legally, key phrase in DMCA is "Circumvent Measures Put in Place by the Manufacturer to Secure Their Intellectual Property and/or Copyrighted Material"

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. cole3986

cole3986 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Again the tune still uses the IP of the company that is why car companies are locking the ECM's, the DMCA is very broad and potentially costly, remember that guy in NJ that got sued by the music companies and lost in court, he was levied a huge fine because he disabled the DRM's on the music he put on his torrent even though he bought the music legally, key phrase in DMCA is "Circumvent Measures Put in Place by the Manufacturer to Secure Their Intellectual Property and/or Copyrighted Material"[/QUOTE]
    Yess, keep writing, good information, I have an outstanding hard drive, never take notes (I look like I am because the clients like that), so this what I am looking for !!!!

14. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any tuner manufacturer is most likely paying the manufacturers a licence fee of some sort or has some binding agreement in place to allow them to do it, SEMA is a good example of an organization that represents specialty aftermarket manufacturers many of which are the car companies themselves so aftermarket manufacturers have dialogues with the car companies.
    I highly doubt any Tuner manufacturer is going to rewrite the entire programming in all the various modules in the car, that would cost millions of $$, so they pay a license fee to use the bulk of the programming from the car companies

• Like Like x 1
  15. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We all see what bugs are cropping up in the Hellcat software (this is normal btw) I would suggest FCA would license or put an agreement in place for some of the more competent aftermarket manufacturers once these bugs are patched

• Agree Agree x 2